Occidental Gran Punta Cana

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Home a week now from our stay at above resort.
The grounds, pools were very nicely kept,,,but we stayed in bldg 25. In bad need of a facelift. Showers were broken, had to hang onto shower head, not very relaxing way to clean yourself. Lots of tiny bugs in sinks,,,no bed bugs,,,,the resort is a 3 star at best, not a 4.5 as listed.
Buffet food became very boring,,and the biggest issue was food was not hot! Staff were amazing,,very friendly other than the language barrier at times. The beach was beautiful . I had never been to Punta Cana before.
Security was a bit of an issue,,,as no one spoke English and we had a bit of a mishap with drunken young men, scaring the crap out of our teen girls,,,we had to move our girls out of a room near these guys, as security did nothing! However, we were given a room very close to ours and away from those idiots the very next day. Just not very nice for our kids . Thank God our kids knew enough to lock the doors and stay inside until we got to them. We are not talking little kids,,they range in age from 15-18. All in all,,,for the money we spent, it was a good vacation, but the food could definitely be better, or at least kept warm!! Drinks?? tiring,,,and is there really alcohol in them, I guess there must be. First time for an all inclusive for me. Definitely the way to travel with kids cost wise,,,but would probably not do another one unless it was a very impressive resort. The vacation like I said, served the purpose for the money, and of course we were a group of like 24, parents and kids, and it was the company and laughs, etc. that made the trip. Not sure what the other buildings were like, but for sure bldg 23 and 24 need a definite facelift, as this could be a very nice resort, close to airport, etc.

Dec 26, 2011
Buffet food became very boring,,and the biggest issue was food was not hot! Staff were amazing,,very friendly other than the language barrier at times. The beach was beautiful . I had never been to Punta Cana before.
Security was a bit of an issue,,,as no one spoke English and we had a bit of a mishap with drunken young men, scaring the crap out of our teen girls,,,we had to move our girls out of a room near these guys, as security did nothing!

So the staff that couldn't manage to keep your food warm, made no effort to learn English although they are blessed to have jobs in the tourist industry, and did nothing to make you or your girls feel safe were... amazing?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So the staff that couldn't manage to keep your food warm, made no effort to learn English although they are blessed to have jobs in the tourist industry, and did nothing to make you or your girls feel safe were... amazing?

you beat me to it, pollo. so, which is it? great minds think alike? or is it 'fools never differ"?