Ocean World - A Customer Service Primer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
I have to say I am very disappointed with the customer service at Ocean World. Last week, after seeing Luperon's post about a 2 for 1 coupon code from Spirit Airlines I emailed Ocean World. I wrote to them quoting the coupon code and received a response the next day confirming that a reservation in my name was made for today. After renting a vehicle & driving all the way from Cabarete I was turned away at the gate. Why?

At first the guy at the ticket booth said he couldn't find my reservation in the computer. He tried my first name, last name, no luck. He asked when I made the reservation and I told him - last Thursday via email. He checked again but with no luck. He then went to talk to someone in the back and the runaround began in earnest. Now he told me that the only special they were running was with Jet Blue and not Spirit and it was only for the Dolphin Encounter NOT general admission. Did I want to pay full admission and then get the 2 for 1 deal on the Dolphin Encounter?

I explained again that it was a promotion from Spirit Airlines and that my reservation was for admission. He checks again with someone in the back and then says that the 2 for 1 admission promotion ended 2 months ago! This after I received an email from Ocean World confirming my reservation (for today) on Friday of last week!

I was so disgusted with the poor service I just walked away. I honestly thought that a place as heavily advertised and that promotes such a quality attraction would have a better level of service than that. Was this a bait & switch scam or was this guy just not doing his job - I don't know. Either way its' left me with a very poor impression of the famous Ocean World.

I will be contacting the administration of Ocean World today and seeing if they will do something to rectify this situation, but I'm not too confident that I'll get anything other than more runaround. I'll post a follow-up when (if) I get a response back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What response did you get when you showed them a copy of the email you had received from Ocean World at the ticket counter?

Ocean World are known to be one of, if not the most professional and customer service oriantated operations in the DR. Just look at their many happy customers on this board.

I'm sure if your case is genuine, they will look after you.

Nov 25, 2008
customer service is not in their vocabulary
unfortunately even foreigners who spend too much time with the locals pick
up on this bad behavior

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
My case IS genuine...

As I don't have a printer at home I didn't take a copy of the email with me. I assumed as I had been told by the reservation desk that everything was arranged under my name that was all that was needed. I did of course have ID with me, but as there was seemingly no record in the computer there was no need to show it.

I know that Ocean World has a good reputation, that's why I was so surprised and disappointed with the fiasco today. I have contacted them and hopefully they will make some amends.

What response did you get when you showed them a copy of the email you had received from Ocean World at the ticket counter?

Ocean World are known to be one of, if not the most professional and customer service oriantated operations in the DR. Just look at their many happy customers on this board.

I'm sure if your case is genuine, they will look after you.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I also know that on those rare occasions when issues need to be presented to the management, they are handled promptly, professionally and courteously. I'm sure they will look into this, not just for you but also for themselves - they would want to know what went wrong.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
customer service is not in their vocabulary
unfortunately even foreigners who spend too much time with the locals pick
up on this bad behavior

Your wrong on this one, especially when talking about Ocean World.

Please post other examples of their bad customer service.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As I don't have a printer at home I didn't take a copy of the email with me. I assumed as I had been told by the reservation desk that everything was arranged under my name that was all that was needed. I did of course have ID with me, but as there was seemingly no record in the computer there was no need to show it.

I know that Ocean World has a good reputation, that's why I was so surprised and disappointed with the fiasco today. I have contacted them and hopefully they will make some amends.
Hi travelchik,
You are obviously near a computer whilst down here so why not go into your e-mails, get a copy of the one from Ocean World up on the screen & get THAT printed off? Maybe you could do a direct copy/paste to the person whose name appears at the bottom of the e-mail?

Hope it gets sorted out in an honest & trouble-free manner! ~ Grahame.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have to say I am very disappointed with the customer service at Ocean World. Last week, after seeing Luperon's post about a 2 for 1 coupon code from Spirit Airlines I emailed Ocean World. I wrote to them quoting the coupon code and received a response the next day confirming that a reservation in my name was made for today. After renting a vehicle & driving all the way from Cabarete I was turned away at the gate. Why?

At first the guy at the ticket booth said he couldn't find my reservation in the computer. He tried my first name, last name, no luck. He asked when I made the reservation and I told him - last Thursday via email. He checked again but with no luck. He then went to talk to someone in the back and the runaround began in earnest. Now he told me that the only special they were running was with Jet Blue and not Spirit and it was only for the Dolphin Encounter NOT general admission. Did I want to pay full admission and then get the 2 for 1 deal on the Dolphin Encounter?

I explained again that it was a promotion from Spirit Airlines and that my reservation was for admission. He checks again with someone in the back and then says that the 2 for 1 admission promotion ended 2 months ago! This after I received an email from Ocean World confirming my reservation (for today) on Friday of last week!

I was so disgusted with the poor service I just walked away. I honestly thought that a place as heavily advertised and that promotes such a quality attraction would have a better level of service than that. Was this a bait & switch scam or was this guy just not doing his job - I don't know. Either way its' left me with a very poor impression of the famous Ocean World.

I will be contacting the administration of Ocean World today and seeing if they will do something to rectify this situation, but I'm not too confident that I'll get anything other than more runaround. I'll post a follow-up when (if) I get a response back.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I will investigate this and find out what happened. Maybe you can PM me your name as it was in the reservation. I will also arrange free tickets for you to come back.

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
Thank you very much for contacting me. I will forward you the information via email immediately.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Now that's customer service. Someone on a lower level falls down on the job and someone on a higher level steps in to correct the situation quickly and professionally.

Well done.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I researched what happened. Our reservation department did confirm the reservation to the client, however, the reservation was either entered with the wrong name (still checking this) or never entered at all (most likely).

Since the client did not have any proof of travelling with Spirit (also our fault, since the agent confirming the email reservation did not ask her to bring proof), the ticket window agents at the ticket booth were only authorized to give a 15% discount, instead of the reserved 2 for 1 deal.

Either way, its our fault and I thank the OP for bringing this to our attention. We will offer a two free tickets in exchange for the troubles caused.

Reactions: windeguy

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I hope this gets resolved soon and believe it will. I understand that the managers of this establishment are foreigners and understand the concept of customer service. I can also understand the challenge they have in teaching the locals of the expectations of "Western style" customer service as the default assupmtion here is that at best the client is never right, at worst lying and normally they could just care less what the client wants. Therefore, it shouldn't be surprising that some employees will "fall through the crack" and not really ever "get" it.

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
Thank You

I just wanted to take a moment and express my thanks to Conchman for addressing my issue with the customer service representative yesterday so quickly and graciously.

Obviously what happened yesterday was an isolated incident and Ocean World truly lives up to it's reputation. My husband and I look forward to visiting very soon.

Best Regards,

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Kudos, Conchman. Professional, courteous and prompt. Ocean World's next venture - setting up a Customer Training School???:cheeky:;). OK it was a joke but, certainly would meet a need.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Kudos, Conchman. Professional, courteous and prompt. Ocean World's next venture - setting up a Customer Training School???:cheeky:;). OK it was a joke but, certainly would meet a need.

It may have been meant as a joke Lambada, but think about what Disney does - they teach their Systems of Success (and charge a good buck to do it) to companies around the world so that they can learn from the best. Maybe this is something Ocean World could do here in the DR, for the benefit of local companies, certainly they must have the Systems and they appear to be Successful.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It may have been meant as a joke Lambada, but think about what Disney does - they teach their Systems of Success (and charge a good buck to do it) to companies around the world so that they can learn from the best. Maybe this is something Ocean World could do here in the DR, for the benefit of local companies, certainly they must have the Systems and they appear to be Successful.

Just realised I left a word out - I meant Customer Service Training School. Customer Training School means something entirely different & we hope wouldn't be needed...:cheeky:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Since we are all having a great big group hug, shouldn't somebody edit the thread title?

Maybe to, "Ocean World - doing the right thing!"

Edited to:

Ocean World - A Customer Service Primer!

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.