Odd Car Problem

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I still bet that when the car was shipped someone swapped out a a computer type part.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I used to have a lot of problems with rats chewing wires in my car - camphor under the bonnet (or hood in your language) does seem to deter them somewhat though as they hate the smell. Very cheap to buy and available in most farmarcias.

my buddy locked up his Prado, and has been away in London for a little over a year now. i hope he has a strong heart. when he sees what the rats have done to the interior, i know he is not going to feel too sweet.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
my buddy locked up his Prado, and has been away in London for a little over a year now. i hope he has a strong heart. when he sees what the rats have done to the interior, i know he is not going to feel too sweet.

That's a real shame, and one of the things that worried me. We filled the inside with Bounce sheets, and it worked as far as the rodents are concerned. HOWEVER, we somehow left a bag in the back cargo area with some sort of fruit [we think, didn't investigate it too closely] in it, and the rotting stench was awful.

Whirleybird, what do they call camphor in DR farmacias? I did bring down some moth balls to put in there when we leave. And more Bounce.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If you were really Dominican you would toss the remote and forget about it. The doors work just fine manually.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That's a real shame, and one of the things that worried me. We filled the inside with Bounce sheets, and it worked as far as the rodents are concerned. HOWEVER, we somehow left a bag in the back cargo area with some sort of fruit [we think, didn't investigate it too closely] in it, and the rotting stench was awful.

Whirleybird, what do they call camphor in DR farmacias? I did bring down some moth balls to put in there when we leave. And more Bounce.

the shame is that he did not take my advice and sell it, since he planned a long stay in the UK. it is done like dinner, for all intents and purposes. my money says it might never run again, unless he spends more to recondition it than it is worth.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If it was my car, I'd pay to have it trucked to S.D. to the Toyota Dealer there and let them sort it out. The dealers have all the diagnostic instruments and can usually identify the problem within a matter of minutes in the door. Might be on the expensive side to get it fixed, but at least SOMEONE who has some training in modern cars would be working on it.

any decent mechanic has a hand held diagnostic computer these days. no need to go all that distance.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Took the words out of my mouth. That's also the easiest way to reset a "check engine" light.

Instead of trying to start the car, I always turn on the lights for a few minutes after I disconnect the battery. That discharges everything that holds computer settings.

then after 10 minutes it will come right on again.

Jan 9, 2004

As has been suggested, Baking Soda does a good job.

Additionally, you can also use Vanilla extract. Soak a rag and place it in the vehicle.

Carpet Fresh or poutpourri (poke holes in it) also works. Place in the car and put the car in the sun for a few hours. Should be easy to do where you are.

Good Luck with the wiring issue. I have heard of the same issue on the Prius multiple times....but never on the Venza.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

it's called alcanfor and is sold in small cubes (think knorr seasoning). about 5 pesos each. forget moth balls, they stink to great heavens (at least the ones here in DR do).

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
it's called alcanfor and is sold in small cubes (think knorr seasoning). about 5 pesos each. forget moth balls, they stink to great heavens (at least the ones here in DR do).

camphor.jpg.......