Odebrecht roads in the south east and east

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Same as in the States. A road that was built to have a motor vehicle go between 55-65-or 75 mph, and some jacka*ss goes off the road at 110mph.....it must be due to poor construction. Such is life in 2017 worldwide.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Is this a frikin' joke? La Rotonda is one of the most dangerous places on the Coral Highway.

Not for nothing on the inbound lanes from Santo Domingo towards La Rotonda there are warning signs and multiple speed bumps which make even the suicide driver to slow down.

But just for the fun of it, test drive the Rotonda inbound from SD at high speed. Afterwards, please post a report of your experience and please include pictures of your former car.

But the speed bumps and the reduced speeding signs are placed there exactly for the reason to make drivers slow down before entering the rotunda ..because vehicles from Bavaro are also using the rotunda to go to PC airport and the PC resort and Cap Cana . There are warning signs for more than half a Kilometre that there are speed bumps and to slow down because this Highway merges with the Bavaro to Punta Cana road at the rotunda .

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It cost 5.7million dollars per kilometer across generally flat terrain several years ago.

The cost of a 4 lane highway in the US now runs between 4 to 6 million us dollars per mile which is 2.7 to 4 million per kilometer.

Just across the water in Puerto Rico there are better highways than DR.

Go figure if the 92 million bribes offered any real value for money for DR or was this a horrendous rip of by a criminal organisation who gained 5 billion dollars worth of work as result of that bribery.

There are some good civil engineering works throughout the country that were not built by Odebrecht including some fine roads such as the road to San Juan and between El Catey and Coson. And some other Odebrecht roads have problems such as the Piedra Blanca to Rancho Arriba and the Jarabacoa to Constanza roads. Had international contractors including Chinese contractors been given a fair opportunity to tender imo DR would have equal or better roads at much better value. And so allow other much needed public works to proceed such as supply of water to every household and better roads to the North Coast already.

It is hard to understand anybody wanting to promote a criminal organisation which is exactly what Odebrecht have been proven to be.

Easy to see you know nothing about the Coral Highway and its terrain and the history of the construction nor do you appreciate that the road works in the east are carrying many many more times the traffic than in the San Juan area . There were no chinese civil construction companies in the DR when Odebrecht got the contracts. I am not promoting this company ...merely pointing out that the construction of these roads by the company and the Government has led to a huge growth in the east ,much more safety and the increased prosperity of the area is increasing . and that the change in Government policy to borrowing large amounts of money for infrastructure has paid off . I wish that Santo Domingo to Santiago to Puerta Plata and then along the north coast had the same great roads .
Know nothing about Puerto Rico,,,they are almost bankrupt I believe .

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The history is quite simple.

The contract was originally awarded to Constructora Hormigones Moya for a lesser sum but after the intervention of Rondon who received 2% of the then contract value and Diaz, they ceded their contract to Odebrecht and the value soared.

Post about the road in ten years time and let see if it has a minimal design life or a design life that would be expected for such a highway in the USA or Europe of many years with millions of axle loads. It seems that according to some it is already suffering after a few years use.

Now simply accept the fact that Odebrecht bribed persons to win the contract and built it for an exorbitant price. Then apply that principle to the other projects they built and you might wonder why they seem so readily able to pay huge fines to various countries for the illegality as well as having paid large sums of bribe money.

For those in the business of international construction we know that there are many able international civil and building contractors building excellent projects worldwide and who do compete in open and fair tender to win their projects. Not so with Odebrecht who had to bribe and have a bribes office in DR complement their earnings.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Odebrecht has made very nice roads in this country and at least we have those nice roads now.. I am definitely against corruption , however corruption is part of this countries lifestyle.. Sad enough.. Other construction companies just steal half the money and make ****ty jobs. I would have loved to see Odebrecht make the road from Puerto Plata to Navarete. Now we are stocked with the usual mess..

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Why is the Rotunda a flaw at Punta Cana .?? I have not seen or heard of accidents there , they are normally on the fast straight parts of the roads .The only other problem I saw was a deep rut caused by some large truck driving along on a wheel rim .

When the highway first opened there were so many accidents that the (cannot remember name if auto repair here)auto mechanics could not keep up. I happened to be bringing my car to shop for some adjustment at that time and saw quite a few cars with what I remember looking like major damage.  I was told cars were totalling as they sped along and could not quite navigate rotunda.  We still see cars flying around that turn. You need to see. It.  It really makes no sense as it is and drivers who do not know how the lanes veer off are very surprised and need to take foot off pedal as they careen around.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Easy to see you know nothing about the Coral Highway and its terrain and the history of the construction nor do you appreciate that the road works in the east are carrying many many more times the traffic than in the San Juan area . There were no chinese civil construction companies in the DR when Odebrecht got the contracts. I am not promoting this company ...merely pointing out that the construction of these roads by the company and the Government has led to a huge growth in the east ,much more safety and the increased prosperity of the area is increasing . and that the change in Government policy to borrowing large amounts of money for infrastructure has paid off . I wish that Santo Domingo to Santiago to Puerta Plata and then along the north coast had the same great roads .
Know nothing about Puerto Rico,,,they are almost bankrupt I believe .

And thank goodness...Give nothing to the Chinese!

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
But the speed bumps and the reduced speeding signs are placed there exactly for the reason to make drivers slow down before entering the rotunda ..because vehicles from Bavaro are also using the rotunda to go to PC airport and the PC resort and Cap Cana . There are warning signs for more than half a Kilometre that there are speed bumps and to slow down because this Highway merges with the Bavaro to Punta Cana road at the rotunda .

Warning signs are for those who can read.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Odebrecht has made very nice roads in this country and at least we have those nice roads now.. I am definitely against corruption , however corruption is part of this countries lifestyle.. Sad enough.. Other construction companies just steal half the money and make ****ty jobs. I would have loved to see Odebrecht make the road from Puerto Plata to Navarete. Now we are stocked with the usual mess..

The large construction and civil engineering business around the world operates much the same way even though the bribery may be more sophisticated. In construction work of more than US5 billion ,Obedrecht paid bribes of about $92 million , a very small percentage when their man organised the finance also . Now, we have a halt on the two terminals in Samana and Sabana de la Mar so the planned tourists boats cannot operate and major roads half finished. And no other major engineering company in sight . We are now stuck with the usual mess .. exactly . Sorry if I am a pragmatist, but in this case I am

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The large construction and civil engineering business around the world operates much the same way even though the bribery may be more sophisticated. In construction work of more than US5 billion ,Obedrecht paid bribes of about $92 million , a very small percentage when their man organised the finance also . Now, we have a halt on the two terminals in Samana and Sabana de la Mar so the planned tourists boats cannot operate and major roads half finished. And no other major engineering company in sight . We are now stuck with the usual mess .. exactly . Sorry if I am a pragmatist, but in this case I am
The road from San Jose de Ocoa to Piedra Blanca also has an 11km stretch that is unfinished and is a hard passage.