Odebrecht scandal

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
So, odebrecht was condemned to pay 184 million dollars in penalties to the DR government a few months ago. I wonder if those implied will have to return the 92 million they received.:nervous:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
On another (un?)related note. Since today the military isn't in the streets in SD, as they were the past two months.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So, odebrecht was condemned to pay 184 million dollars in penalties to the DR government a few months ago. I wonder if those implied will have to return the 92 million they received.:nervous:

Angel Rondon admitted to receiving 92 million dollars as payment for services rendered. I'l like to know how much tax he paid on that 92 million dollars.

Jan 9, 2004
Angel Rondon admitted to receiving 92 million dollars as payment for services rendered. I'l like to know how much tax he paid on that 92 million dollars.

Rondon was supposedly Odebrecht's fixer/facilitator....dolling out payments as needed....of course getting his obligatory 10% fixer/facilitator fee no doubt.

His testimony...if he ever gives it...should be quite interesting.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yea, my wife's eyes opened wide on that name.

Yes, a lot of the people who were arrested should open up peoples eyes. Although the guilty have not officially reached the office of Presdient Danillo it is under his watch and that should make him very uncomfortable.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Still no public disclosure of the actual document Odebrecht produced naming all of those who took bribes?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Still no public disclosure of the actual document Odebrecht produced naming all of those who took bribes?

Might have to wait a bit longer:

http://www.listindiario.com/las-mun...-divulgacion-de-informaciones-sobre-odebrecht

The explanation can be read in many ways but suggests some lobbying by foreign governments has taken place.

The petition is justified "because of the potential interest of foreign authorities to order investigations relating to the facts reported by the partners, which could be adversely affected if these are disclosed before they are directed to the requesting authorities",

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In DR1 news last week it stated where the original document was - you just need to speak Portuguese.

Acento.com.do is alerting that official documents from the Public Ministry of Brazil have been forged to include additional names, including those of local journalists Fausto Rosario, Miguel Guerrero and Nelson Marrero. The document is circulating in social media.

Acento reports that the original No. 500661729.2016.4.04.7000/PR and No. 5035204- 61.2016.4.04.7000/PR, is available on the website of the Public Ministry of Brazil at http://www.mpf.mp.br

Matilda

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
14 of 26? A missing dozen. .

It is good the original document is available on line for all to see. There might even be someone in the DR that can translate it from Portuguese. Hopefully all of the names in that document have been used during the recent round ups of slime balls. BUT WAIT!....

Supposedly there are 26 names in this public document and 14 have been taken into custody:

Santo Domingo .- Panama deputy Zulay Rodríguez on Tuesday said there are 26 names on the list of those involved in the Odebrecht case in the Dominican Republic.

“There’s even a Mr. Vargas who is a partner of who was president of our party and of the Republic, Martin Torrijos, and I’ve been told that he has many businesses,” said the lawmaker, interviewed on CDN Channel 37.

She didn’t elaborate on whether “Mr. Vargas” is Dominican Foreign minister Miguel Vargas Maldonado.
She said that in the Democratic Revolutionary Party (PRD), in Panama, they have stated their agreement with the investigations “whoever falls.”

“They know that Torrijos is involved because it was he who first brought Odebrecht to Panama, possibly with Vargas that’s what I’m speculating,” she said.
Panama link?

Precisely on Tuesday, one of accused in the Odebrecht bribe case, Bernardo Antonio Castellanos De Moya, denied wrongdoing, adding that he didn’t appear at the Justice Ministry because he’s currently in Panama, whose ‘Panama Papers’ contained the names of several Dominican people and shell businesses, including those of “subway czar” Diandino Peña.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local...kes-dominican-republic-odebrecht-panama-link/

Last edited:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have seen this all before when I was young .It was the Profumo affair in England and there were so many innocent names being thrown around by the press and public and so many ridiculous accusations ..and all seemed to have increased importance at that time because it was the era of property spiv and people were anti establishment . It eventually brought down Prime Minister MacMillan although he was entirely innocent in the matter .
Now , we have people actually trusting information coming from a company that we know full well likes to manipulate , we accept information from the Brazilian Government as if they are squeaky clean , people want to add names without having a shred of evidence and people bring in matters that are not part of the case. .
Because of pressure by the ignorant public, the public prosecutor has arrested people without having sufficient evidence and now states that he wants bail denied and the accused to be detained in prison for up to 18 months while his department tries to verify the various documents in what is described a complex case.
The first thing is nobody here has any idea of the strength of any evidence and the second thing is that the prosecutor is asking for pre trial detention without having proper evidence . Finally we have the same situation as we had in the Bautista case of the prosecution stuffing up the arrest process for several of the accused.
This a case that needs time to assess the evidence from dubious sources and yet we are coming very close to a habeas corpus situation.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yes, a lot of the people who were arrested should open up peoples eyes. Although the guilty have not officially reached the office of Presdient Danillo it is under his watch and that should make him very uncomfortable.

interesting times we live in...

just few years ago i would burst my rectum laughing at an idea of bringing dominican presidents to justice (not sure whether the case of jorge blanco counts). but i see former presidents of south american countries accused of corruption and brought to trial. so who knows what the future brings?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
interesting times we live in...

just few years ago i would burst my rectum laughing at an idea of bringing dominican presidents to justice (not sure whether the case of jorge blanco counts). but i see former presidents of south american countries accused of corruption and brought to trial. so who knows what the future brings?

Are you suggesting that our President is a criminal??

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
This a case that needs time to assess the evidence from dubious sources and yet we are coming very close to a habeas corpus situation.

I presume you are questioning the US Justice Department and those of the Swiss, Brazilians and several other countries that bribery has taken place ?