Oh CANADA!! It's your turn!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks, I wrote this before we left for golf this morning. BushBaby, Alan, and MBain (a guy from Toronto who is going to live and work here).

I am amazed at the volume of responses (even lol at the menopausal comments!!). These and any others that follow are certainly just what we were looking for. MBain told me right off about the Value shops....eh!

After golf I bumped into my daughter in law at PriceSmart and told her what the first two posters had said....now it seems that there are some fantastic alternatives.

Whales and wildlife, scenery spectacular....just the ticket....

So many thanks to you all...

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
HB,
Don't they have thrift shops in Canada? When I visit UK I don't have winter clothes either & even though I go in May usually, I still freeze, so first stop is to stock up with warm things at a thrift shop. I wear them for the 3 week visit & 2 days before I leave wash all washables & next day give back to thrift shop, so everyone wins. :) Means I don't bother transporting clothes other than underwear so more space in suitcase for the important stuff.

Tell A to get on Prempak-C 0.625 mgs. Works like a dream.

G

gary short

The thing is is that BC is so huge. There are mountains everywhere, deserts, ranchlands and coastal rainforests. If I would recommend anything I would take the Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Calgary. So if you make Vancouver your base you could do the whale watching thing and go take a tram ride up Grouse Mtn.......there's a ton of things to do.
Also you should know that there are numerous climatic zones that, in January, range from coastal rain forest WET to alpine conditions.....everywhere else.

G

gary short

The reality is that currently the coast is being lashed by storm after storm bringing with them rains of biblical proportions. There is a boil water advisory in the greater Vancouver area because of mud slides into reservoirs. Road closures and power outages in affected areas. I've seen this weather carry on until June. God only knows what's happening at higher elevations. I for one don't intend on finding out...........rescedule for june-sept.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OKAY! We need toques!
Gregg sent like 9 websites that we'll be going through tomorrow. Gorgeous film snippets....

Wehave a place to stay at Wud's place! this is so much fun!!

Keep them coming!! We'll talk tomorrow. and thanks...

HB

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
OKAY! We need toques!
Gregg sent like 9 websites that we'll be going through tomorrow. Gorgeous film snippets....

Wehave a place to stay at Wud's place! this is so much fun!!

Keep them coming!! We'll talk tomorrow. and thanks...

HB
You're plan is a long, long way from the East coast but please, please know that you also have a place to stay here should your plans change.

Gregg & Giselle

miamor

Sep 29, 2006
Burr...

For bodies acclimatized to DR weather, I would suggest the trip time be altered just slightly to the spring. BC is an amazingly beautiful province, with ocean, mountains, foothills, hot springs (get a local to show you hot springs in their natural state. Some, like in Radium, just seem like a big heated pool), glaciers and too many amazing things to list, so it would be great if you see this. However, if you come in April or May you will have flowering trees, warmer weather (by Canadian standards) and still get to see snow capped mountains. You can still walk on a glacier, as was suggested and take the train through the Rockies.

Once, in April, I was driven through Banff National Park and Jasper National Park and there were big horn sheep and mountain goats, with their "kids" at the side of the road, which is an international highway. They came down to lick at the salt that comes up in the gravel, which they apparently do every spring. Literally they were a meter away from me.

I have never taken the train, but if you have a chance to pass through the lower interior of BC (Creston Valley for example) it is breath-taking.

Here is a web site to snoop at to give you an idea of Canadian weather The Weather Network

JenRob

Mar 27, 2006
Another East Coaster

While I do live in Nova Scotia, I have travelled across our beautiful country by car and agree with all the other posts. No one mentioned the Columbia Ice Fields which can be visited by a giant snow bus. You get to walk on an actual glacier that has been around for eons. Also Tofino on Vancouver Island has some awesome boat trips to hiking trails in the temperate rain forest with hot springs to sit in.

If you do make it to the East Coast PM me. We also have a spare room and we have great second hand places called "Frenchies". to equip you with clothing.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Frenchies! I had totally forgotten about that place. I shopped at one in New Brunswick, I think I came home with 30 outfits for about $25.00!! Love that place!

Anyway, while everyone is welcoming HB into their homes - I might as well speak up too!

Although, the only thing I can offer you Luis is snowmobile rides and ice fishing at that time of the year! Although, after a day on the frozen lake, we can enjoy a nice cup of hot chocolate or apple cider or a rum toddy!!

My offer stands throughout the year though, if you can find me! ( smack dab in the middle of Canada - what we call God's Country) Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter, you will really get a feel what it is like in Canada's Hinterland!

Marlie (True,Way Up North, Strong & Free!)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Hillbilly! You called??? ;)

Your family and your son's family MUST come to Calgary first, then make the commute to Van. I will gladly show you around my city, and any family of yours is more than welcome to stay at the Burgos Hovel. I will take you to the mountains at Banff, and if you'd like to see North America's second largest mall in Edmonton, it's only a 3-hour drive from here, we could go there as well.

If you are here for 2 weeks, you may want to rent a car, and see the beautiful scenery on the way from Calgary to Vancouver (I guest-blogged on Chiri's blog about it). There are many beautiful towns along the way, including Sicamous, Kamloops, Kelowna, etc. You could go to Fernie or Whistler (home of 2010 Winter Olympics) Ski Resort, or spend a couple of days in Nelson, where the scenery is breathtaking. I'm with everyone else, you really should wait until April. Vancouver's been hit lately with lots of rain, and that's not a great way to spend a vacation. In April, flowers will be in full bloom, and the scenery is tremendous. Also, the Columbia Icefields are a great suggestion.

If you are planning a few days in Vancouver, musts are:
Granville Island
Stanley Park
a ferry ride to Victoria, including a stop at Buchart Gardens
Harrison Hot Springs
Sunshine Coast
Steveston (if they are fishers)
Capilano Suspension Bridge
Cypress Mountain
Greater Vancouver Zoo
Grouse Mountain Skyride
Vancouver Aquarium
Kitsalano Beach
Gastown
Chinatown

Let me know if I can be of help to you.

PS
Juanita, if you're going to be in Calgary, would you like to meet up?

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
PS, HB

A train-ride accross Canada is not doable in two weeks. Many do not fully realize the grandeur of the country. You would need at least a month to truly appreciate the whole country.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Trina!! How about Calgary to Vancouver?? In April? I think he is getting away from the "frozen North" idea.

HB

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Trina!! How about Calgary to Vancouver?? In April? I think he is getting away from the "frozen North" idea.

HB

If "frozen North" is the true idea behind the journey, we shouldn't be sending you to Vancouver! :D Vancouver almost NEVER gets snow, and when they do, it literally shuts down the whole city (schools close and all)! You want "Frozen North", go to Winnipeg, or as Marlie suggested, Thunder Bay - and yes, you'll probably be freezing in April in these cities. In fact, you will see cold and snow in a lot cities in Canada at that time, but you won't see it in Vancouver. If you're stuck on travelling in January, a trip North/NorthEast of Vancouver will soon lead you to snow, and lots of it. You simply cannot visit Canada without seeing Vancouver - it's a beautiful city.

To travel from Calgary to Vancouver, just to let you know, is about a 12-hour drive, so it is doable in one day. However, there is a lot to see on the way, and you may want to take 2-3 days to complete the journey. I hear the train ride is breathtaking, but have never been on it. I would love to be your travel guide in Calgary - plenty of maple syrup and maple butter at our house! Mind you, with your new svelte physique, are you still allowed to indulge in that stuff?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Hillbilly! You called??? ;)

Juanita, if you're going to be in Calgary, would you like to meet up?

Yes that could be neat, I'll just have to find out what are the plans my friend in Calgary has made for me. :bunny:

MOC1

Oct 22, 2002
Canada in January can be very cold, although last year the Western provinces were mild. But I would suggest if you are planning a Western tour, do it in May/June. There is lot's to do and see. You can ski at Sunshine until the end of May. Canada is huge and BC is one of the most beautiful areas, doesn't matter where you go you will find things to do. Do take in the numerous Hot Springs they will thaw your bones.