Oh wow! More news from BBQ

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/13/1250...ue-says-his-forces-are-ready-for-a-long-fight

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — The gangs in Haiti can't be ignored. This weekend they took the streets in their neighborhoods in a show of force. NPR saw dozens of heavily armed men, some wearing balaclavas in the blazing Caribbean heat, with handguns, with assault rifles with machetes.

And Jimmy Chérizier, known as Babekyou in Haitian Creole — or Barbecue — is one of the most powerful and notorious gang leaders. He heads the G9 federation of gangs.

He is the man who convinced many of Haiti's gangs to stop fighting each other and start fighting the government. The alliance of rival gangs is known as Viv Ansanm, or "Living Together."

Over the past two months, they've attacked government installations, brought down a prime minister and nearly paralyzed the capital city. Haitians have largely been left to fend for themselves.

Who is Barbecue?
Barbecue met with NPR in Delmas, the neighborhood he controls in the capital of Port-au-Prince, and talked for over an hour. He arrived in a brand-new Toyota Land Cruiser and had a boy on his knees cleaning his flip-flops.

Barbecue, 47, used to be a police officer. He worked for a squad called the Unité départementale de maintien d'ordre. He led operations against gangs and was responsible for quelling unrest. Members of the unit were accused of shooting protesters dead.

But in the interview, he said eventually he had "an awakening."

He claims the system made him who he is. As a policeman, he said, he learned that politicians created the gangs, that they used them and the police to do their dirty work, to target their business rivals and their enemies. And so he started fighting against the political elite to try to change the system.

What did Barbecue say about his role in the violence?
Much of the interview focused on his part in the violence and mayhem. According to a recent U.N. report, in the first few months of 2024, approximately 2,500 Haitians were killed or injured in gang violence.

Barbecue argues that the gangs are fighting against the rich, who have exploited Haiti.

But that's not exactly what NPR has seen and reported. The gangs are extorting poor people, women are getting raped, houses have been burnt. He did not refute this.

A glimpse of the chaos in Haiti, a country reeling with effectively no leader
"Everything you say right now is true," he replied. "But all of the extortion and all of the mistreatment is because the government allowed those things to happen."

Essentially, he said, the government and Haitian elites have allowed this situation to happen — to create chaos and to remain in power.

He also had a message for Washington. He said that the U.S. government carried some "responsibility" for the situation in Haiti, for not letting Haitians decide their own future for themselves.

The U.S., the association of Caribbean nations known as CARICOM and other regional powers helped establish a nine-member transitional council to pave the way for elections. The U.S. called the installation of the council a "critical step toward free and fair elections."

But in Barbecue's view, "the transitional council is not the will of the Haitian people. This is what Washington wants," he said, "and this is what they have imposed."

Barbecue on the imminent arrival of the Kenyan led multinational force
Barbecue said the gangs are preparing for a long fight. He said he expects a lot of bloodshed and eventually, the international forces will get tired and they will leave.
Asked if he expects to survive, he said: "My life depends on God and my ancestors."

"If the Haitian revolutionary Jean-Jacques Dessalines worried about his life," he said, "Haiti wouldn't be free today."

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
That's strange because according to this article in the BBC, Barbecue is far from the most powerful of the gang leaders. Just the most vocal. Or maybe it changed since they wrote the article:

Where is this all going to end? That's the question. I have this vision of Haiti turning eventually into some scary country like Afghanistan.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
If history is anything to go by, Jimmy’s statement that the multinational forces will get tired and eventually leave, is true. He’s probably banking on it. He‘s smart enough to know that, even if all the gangs laid down their arms voluntarily, the conditions for a peaceful transition to a new government backed by the will of all the Haitian people, don’t exist. He also knows a new government wont be able to control the many crooked fingers in the Haitian pie pursuing their illegal covert interests.

Jimmy isn’t speaking in a vacuum. He gained his expertise while he was working inside the system. He’s not stupid and the new government would be wise to bring him into the fold to negotiate a long term peace with him and the other gangs. Less lives lost and the intervening forces might be able to leave earlier with the country on a shaky but better path towards self determination.

Haiti continues to be a political rats nest. It’s impossible for anyone to guess the outcome of the pending intervention and the new government’s efforts. About the only thing that’s certain is, if the multinational forces don’t shut down the gangs quickly and decisively, the intervention will quickly spiral into total chaos.

Reactions: Squat and aarhus

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
That's strange because according to this article in the BBC, Barbecue is far from the most powerful of the gang leaders. Just the most vocal. Or maybe it changed since they wrote the article:

Where is this all going to end? That's the question. I have this vision of Haiti turning eventually into some scary country like Afghanistan.
I don't know anything about Afganistan, but outside of PaP, Haiti is not that violent.

Reactions: JD Jones

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I don't know anything about Afganistan, but outside of PaP, Haiti is not that violent.
I don’t see the comparison with Afghanistan. Actually I can’t think of anything similar. Especially because of its proximity to the DR and the US. Haiti is not an enemy of anybody. It’s just dirt poor.

Reactions: Fulano2

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I don’t see the comparison with Afghanistan. Actually I can’t think of anything similar. Especially because of its proximity to the DR and the US. Haiti is not an enemy of anybody. It’s just dirt poor.
Haiti is only a threat to itself. It could be a potential threat to other Caribbean countries, the US and Canada, if large numbers of Haitian refugees start arriving on their shores, bringing the violence and disease with them.

Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Haiti is only a threat to itself. It could be a potential threat to other Caribbean countries, the US and Canada, if large numbers of Haitian refugees start arriving on their shores, bringing the violence and disease with them.
I have a feeling many are hoping that will not be the case. From their perspective, that’s what the DR is for. Turn it into a buffer state that absorbs much of the externalities of Haiti.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I have a feeling many are hoping that will not be the case. From their perspective, that’s what the DR is for. Turn it into a buffer state that absorbs much of the externalities of Haiti.
Agreed. I get the impression the UN has thought of the DR as the default country for Haitian problems for many years.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

The Taliban rule Afghanistan fiercely, a lot of stuff is completely illegal (including women working and studying, listening to music, the list goes on and on). The country has been plunged into complete poverty and a lot of people are starving. The gangs in Haiti are, in effect, making a lot of things impossible for the population, not by laws but by stopping things from happening. And a lot of people are beginning to starve as a result. Fast forward a year or two if Barbecue's dream comes true and the gangs all come together, rule the country with similar ferocity to Afghanistan, executing people who step out of line, and a lot of people are going to live in complete poverty or starvation levels.

Same as South Sudan in Africa, the Janjaweed are doing the same thing.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Barbecue said the gangs are preparing for a long fight. He said he expects a lot of bloodshed and eventually, the international forces will get tired and they will leave.
Asked if he expects to survive, he said: "My life depends on God and my ancestors."

"If the Haitian revolutionary Jean-Jacques Dessalines worried about his life," he said, "Haiti wouldn't be free today."

Well said.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Taliban rule Afghanistan fiercely, a lot of stuff is completely illegal (including women working and studying, listening to music, the list goes on and on). The country has been plunged into complete poverty and a lot of people are starving. The gangs in Haiti are, in effect, making a lot of things impossible for the population, not by laws but by stopping things from happening. And a lot of people are beginning to starve as a result. Fast forward a year or two if Barbecue's dream comes true and the gangs all come together, rule the country with similar ferocity to Afghanistan, executing people who step out of line, and a lot of people are going to live in complete poverty or starvation levels.

Barbecue has said in several “interviews” that he is against the rich of Haiti, calling the system unfair. Don’t expect Haiti to get anywhere as long that he’s around. He probably thinks Haiti would be better with an even smaller upper class, as if they appear out of thin air. That guy is nuts. What Haiti needs is stability and have the upper class grow through new businesses reaching success. No place gets anywhere without that. You choke growth at the top and you essentially kill growth at the bottom. There is no way around that.

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
like everything about the UN, UN peacekeepers are a joke, most of the time they are from poorly trained third world countries; something like the IDF is what is needed, they'll be available soon after they finish their current pest control operation

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ

Well said.
the last thing I would think now is that Haiti is a free country

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008

Ah I get your point now. I thought you meant like an invasion of Haiti from the US. In Afghanistan it was the US and the coalition of the willing as Bush called it. They saw Afghanistan as behind the international terroism or something.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
something like the IDF is what is needed, they'll be available soon after they finish their current pest control operation
Off topic so mods feel free to delete my post.

That "pest control operation" is not going to stop anytime soon. If it was just pest control it would be done by now. Hamas, Hezbollah and the Houithis are all backed by Iran even if Iran denies it. The underlying geopolitical conflict is 100 years old.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Off topic so mods feel free to delete my post.

That "pest control operation" is not going to stop anytime soon. If it was just pest control it would be done by now. Hamas, Hezbollah and the Houithis are all backed by Iran even if Iran denies it. The underlying geopolitical conflict is 100 years old.
that conflict is thousands of years old.............

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
They better get better boats if that is the plan

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Let's see how these Gang leaders do against drones and sniper units ...
The Kenyans are bringing drones with them?

My guess is the Haitians will pick off the clearly marked Kenyans using their own snipers.
They should be able to get rid of the 200 Haitians coming first in about a week or two.

It will be a bit harder to pick out which Haitian is in a gang, but I could be wrong on that.