Oh you will love this.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I, for one, do not think these new taxes are exorbitant. In the UK a reasonable vehicle will cost around $(pesos))84,000 per year to operate on the roads.

The expats who leave for this reason should never have come here on such limited resources.

DR is being pennywise and pound foolish. It is becoming as expensive as NY. They are going to lose a lot of expats and very few will come now. Retirees will not be able to afford the cost of living.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I, for one, do not think these new taxes are exorbitant. In the UK a reasonable vehicle will cost around $(pesos))84,000 per year to operate on the roads.

The expats who leave for this reason should never have come here on such limited resources.

Its not just the marbete cash grab, there's also typical insurance, vehicle purchase transfer tax, forget the "pay as you go" bribes vehicle damages due to crappy roads....
I have a British fren here for past few years, the thing that just drives me nuts about him and makes me want to stuff a stinky pair of soiled underwear in his mouth is whenever he starts of a sentence with "In the UK"!!!!.....
News Alert!!!!! This is not the UK!!! and doesnt have a fraction of the services, infrastructure, yada yada yada.. Hell this isnt even Uruguay, or Panama or Costa Rica or or or or..... so sorry imo this argument doesnt hold a "pound of crisps, black pudding, or black tea!"

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Jinty", in the UK, you get many benefits in return for paying your taxes!
I think about 50% of the population is "Layabouts" who are, "On The Dole"???????
Here we only get corruption!
What about "Bangers & Mashed"??????
An English girl once invited me up for some, "Bangers & Mashed".
Which turned out to be very good, BUY, NOT what I was hoping for!!!!!
And she was a rarity, a BEAUTIFUL English girl, with "Good Teeth"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
DR is being pennywise and pound foolish. It is becoming as expensive as NY. They are going to lose a lot of expats and very few will come now. Retirees will not be able to afford the cost of living.

absolutely correct. the honeymoon is over. 10 years ago, everybody was a real estate agent, selling houses. now, people are going in the opposite direction. the DR is on a slippery slope. the lure has always been its relative inexpensiveness. now that it is catching up to other places, the crap is going to demolish the fan.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
absolutely correct. the honeymoon is over. 10 years ago, everybody was a real estate agent, selling houses. now, people are going in the opposite direction. the DR is on a slippery slope. the lure has always been its relative inexpensiveness. now that it is catching up to other places, the crap is going to demolish the fan.

So... Any given Day now?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Well "PEE CHEE", the DR peso has devalued 4% against the US Dollar since January 1st.!!!
Great News for me, but not for the DR!
And the DR just "Borrowed" about 11 billion more pesos!
I KNOW you can "SPIN" that, using your own brand of "Fuzzy Math"!
I'm on my way to having a 6 month supply of food & water stored.
And, the "MEANS" to protect it!
So when you get hungry, in case you are visiting the DR, when "La Mierda hits the Abanico" don't come begging here!
I'll just assume you'll stay in Orlando????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"C'mon 50 to 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
4.2%, to be precise.

ccccccc, we read exactly the same stuff :) i start my day with three coffees and diario libre, hoy, listin diario and la zeta.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Me TOO!
Someone has to!
To make up for the other 90+ % of "EXPERT, Expats, who just pull their opinions, and "FACTS" out of "Thin Air", or their "Personal Agenda File"!!!!
God Forbid!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
But it's NOT "Olivo Family Blend" coffee, and what,no CIGAR????????
You better drop by for some more intelligent conversation, and a few pounds of coffee!
A bottle of Brugal 1888 would be NICE!!!
I can't find any here???? :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In response to "El Tibby's" post # 104.
I first visited Santo Domingo in 1986.
I visited several times a yer until 1995 when I moved here permanently.
In all those 27 years, I have "NEVER" seen a "Yankee Go Home" sign, in English, or, in Spanish!!
NEVER!!!!
Dominicans are "American Wannbies"!
They want to live in America, watch American movies/TV, fashion, food, everything!
If all the "Yankees" went home, the DR would go bankrupt, whick it will most likely "GO" anyway!
There may be a few Dominicans who don't like Americans, but that's just jealousy from the "Have Nots"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
In response to "El Tibby's" post # 104.
I first visited Santo Domingo in 1986.
I visited several times a yer until 1995 when I moved here permanently.
In all those 27 years, I have "NEVER" seen a "Yankee Go Home" sign, in English, or, in Spanish!!
NEVER!!!!
Dominicans are "American Wannbies"!
They want to live in America, watch American movies/TV, fashion, food, everything!
If all the "Yankees" went home, the DR would go bankrupt, whick it will most likely "GO" anyway!
There may be a few Dominicans who don't like Americans, but that's just jealousy from the "Have Nots"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

That sounds like my life lol

Came here the first time on vacation with the parents in '89. Then again in '94. Moved here in '97. Wish I wouldve kicked myself back then, too late now... lol