ok stupid fan question

May 5, 2007

Those are great,

Living in Florida I have ceiling fans in every room, they make a huge difference in A/C costs and I like the sensation of "moving air" Quiet and unobtrusive. During the few cooler weeks we get they can be reversed to blow the warmer air down

All other things being equal, the larger diameter fan will be quieter as it can run at lower RPM

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Guys ure in the dr...... I use a great looking 19 year old topless morena, tuned up with a new version of the palm tree branch..... real quiet and enjoyable....

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Well it works for me.

If you are talking about the blade-less cylinder type fans, none of them work very well. They are all copies of one sold by Sharper Image...probably made by Dyson...which does work ok, but not like a regular fan.

For regular fans, I've found KDK and Lasko are the best - look in Papaterra and Playero in Sosua...or go to La Sirena or the places HB mentioned in Santiago for a better selection.

I went to 5 places in Santiago today to find a good fan! No luck they all looked cheap. I will try some of your suggestions. Went to Bellon and la sirena and didn't think the quality was good enough. I guess it's just a fan but when I have to yell at my wife bc the fan is so loud....
If the thin standing fans suck I will forget those. Gotta come back to Santiago again tomorrow bc the wife needs to see the surgeon again.
We have ceiling fans and ac but I still need free standing fans for the dogs and I as I am very HOT blooded!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I lost 80% of my hearing in Vietnam, I was PI$$ED, little did I know that one day it would make living in the DR ALMOST tolerable!!!
ALL FANS are quiet to me.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 5, 2007
When I lost 80% of my hearing in Vietnam, I was PI$$ED, little did I know that one day it would make living in the DR ALMOST tolerable!!!
ALL FANS are quiet to me.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss, when "fishing" with hand grenade it is probably a good idea to throw it in water!!

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Try papatera's in Sosua on calle 5 they have a nice selection....did not check the price of all of them but they were about the same as La Sirena They had a black standing fan that oscilated, was not real thick but boy did it move the air and I did not notice that it made noise...I just kept standing in front of it amazed at the great amount of air movement!! Do you have a ceiling fan? They are easy to install if you have a light socket in your ceiling....of course who knows what electrical cluster f### you will find. good luck stay cool

I will try them Jmnorr, ty. Yes we have 4 ceiling fans i am thinking of replacing our bedroom one though, seems kinda old and I don't like it.
The dogs panting is what really gets me upset. I can't have them be hot. One swims in the pool so she is ok but our pit seems like he might die from heat exhaustion! When we have the A/C on in the bedroom they are all good but i can't have it on 24/7!

The reason we need a new standing fan is b.c i moved it the puppy didn't like it and she ate the cord :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am sure i lost some of my hearing in DR already. could not be happier about it :)

fans are noisier when there is no street power, maybe this is why yours are so loud? during the day i am not bothered but i use ear plugs at night.

if your fans suck ass consider butt plugs maybe? they work for justin bieber. :laugh::devious::laugh:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"dv", I would have thought that fans would be totally "Quiet" when there is no power.
:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:;)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I use "White Noise", to drown out the "Black Noise"!!!!!!!! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
I am Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo Bad!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Try the WindMachine fans if you can find them. They have them occasionally at Janet's in Cabarete. They are a floor fan. A similar looking Lakewood Model sold at PriceSmart moves more air but at 3 times the noise level.