Old Navy at Downtown Center?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The American clothes company Old Navy opening a store in Santo Domingo? Supposedly, this will take place at the Downtown Center mall.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Yes it's there in downtown center, where the old vaccine center was on the second floor. It's not open yet, but the signs on the doors etc and construction is happening.

Reactions: NotLurking and NALs

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I thought Banco Promerica was shut down.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
"Hi" Republica Dominicana???
Geez.
Hola would have been a nice touch.
Would it have killed them?
The pictures of the clothes at Old Navy are generally more attractive than the actual clothes.
In my experience the quality is lacking.
But they must have done all their studies and determined there is a market.
So...
More power to them for giving the consumer the choice.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Old Navy will hold their own if their brand name has a reputation for quality and prestige with their 🇩🇴 Dominican clients.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
"Hi" Republica Dominicana???
Geez.
Hola would have been a nice touch.
Would it have killed them?
The pictures of the clothes at Old Navy are generally more attractive than the actual clothes.
In my experience the quality is lacking.
But they must have done all their studies and determined there is a market.
So...
More power to them for giving the consumer the choice.
Don't bet your bippy on that. How many US businesses have come here and fallen flat on their faces?

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Don't bet your bippy on that. How many US businesses have come here and fallen flat on their faces?
One of my favorites Nathan's had an excellent restaurant on Churchill Ave. But I seemed to be the only one in there most of the time I visited. They closed and now a Pollos Victorina is in the same space doing well.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
There
One of my favorites Nathan's had an excellent restaurant on Churchill Ave. But I seemed to be the only one in there most of the time I visited. They closed and now a Pollos Victorina is in the same space doing well.
I like Nathan's too. There was also one in the SDQ food court but I've not been to there in the longest. Does anyone know if it is still there or did it go bye bye?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
They were in Agora Mall for a year. Once the rental contract was up, they were gone.

Their hotdogs were also sold in Nacional and JUMBO, but I haven't seen them in a long time.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The novelty of Old Navy will see them do well in the short term. If their children’s clothing is priced as comparatively cheap as it is in Canada and the US, they will do well in the long term too.

When The Children’s Place opened in Agora, their prices for baby clothes were close to double what they would have been in Canada.

Reasonably priced, decent quality baby & children’s clothing is an untapped market for the middle class in the DR. Poorer families buy clothes at the pulgas but the middle class people don’t have many options besides Jumbo etc.