Old Navy at Downtown Center?

Jan 9, 2004
Don't bet your bippy on that. How many US businesses have come here and fallen flat on their faces?

Amen.

There are probably at least a dozen that have come and gone fairly quickly…….many in the food space.

It appears GAP which owns Old Navy is counting on the brand to save the company……as they are on the bubble and in not very good financial shape.

It certainly does not help that the CEO of Old Navy recently abruptly resigned…….usually a signal things are not going well.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: CristoRey

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Don't bet your bippy on that. How many US businesses have come here and fallen flat on their faces?
And how many have come here and succeeded wildly?

There are probably at least a dozen that have come and gone fairly quickly…….many in the food space.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Every glass is both half empty and half full.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I always saw Old Navy as the US version of Zara from Spain.

By the way, I think the largest Zara store of Latin America is still in the DR.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I always saw Old Navy as the US version of Zara from Spain.

By the way, I think the largest Zara store of Latin America is still in the DR.
I think Zara is a step up from Old Navy at least according to my 25 y/o daughter. She's infatuated with Zara and Century 21 with Old Navy not so much. I've never seen her buying or wearing Old Navy. But I hope the store does well here. This helps the local economy and generates tax revenue useful for infrastructure projects like much needed aqueducts.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Amen.

It certainly does not help that the CEO of Old Navy recently abruptly resigned…….usually a signal things are not going well.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
It could also mean the CEO was asked to make some compromises he or she was not willing to make. Not an uncommon occurrece if/ when during a down size or restructuring process.

Jan 9, 2004
It could also mean the CEO was asked to make some compromises he or she was not willing to make. Not an uncommon occurrece if/ when during a down size or restructuring process.
Agreed.......however the CEO of the parent company GAP also resigned. That usually spells some sort of problems...............especially when they resign effective immediately.......but agree to a short transition period. Changing of the guard is generally a well planned out event communicated well in advance.

It would not come as a shock if they were to file a Chapter 11 bankruptcy petition as the stock has tanked YTD.

How that would/will effect the Old Navy store (franchise) in the DR remains to be seen. At one time GAP, and its other brands were extremely popular..........now it is looking to Old Navy to try to save it.

Time will tell.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: CristoRey

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I think Zara is a step up from Old Navy at least according to my 25 y/o daughter. She's infatuated with Zara and Century 21 with Old Navy not so much. I've never seen her buying or wearing Old Navy. But I hope the store does well here. This helps the local economy and generates tax revenue useful for infrastructure projects like much needed aqueducts.

Zara is very clever because they have mastered the art of having very fast production times. So they buy something and can have it in their stores in literally a couple of weeks, whilst other retailers take months. This means they can react very quickly, if they spot a trend they can exploit it, and if something doesn't sell, they can it quickly. Every time you go in there is something different, and if you see something you like you need to buy it there and then, or else it is usually gone. Most fashion retailers expect their customers to visit 3 times a year, but Zara customers visit on average 17 times per year. They are now one of the largest clothing retailers in the world.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
If there were such a thing as disposable clothing, Old Navy would be that store.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Agreed.......however the CEO of the parent company GAP also resigned. That usually spells some sort of problems...............especially when they resign effective immediately.......but agree to a short transition period. Changing of the guard is generally a well planned out event communicated well in advance.

It would not come as a shock if they were to file a Chapter 11 bankruptcy petition as the stock has tanked YTD.

How that would/will effect the Old Navy store (franchise) in the DR remains to be seen. At one time GAP, and its other brands were extremely popular..........now it is looking to Old Navy to try to save it.

Time will tell.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I'm not familiar with their current status. Only speaking in general terms.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
The Gap which owns Old Navy is more expensive but arguably better quality but both are IMO mostly "disposable", "fast fashion".

I own some from each but prefer to buy better quality and have fewer items. But, for those looking for price point only may find Old Navy to be a good option.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Zara in Santo Domingo always seems to have a nice range of warm clothing like sweaters. I have no idea who buys these, given that Zara prices in Santo Domingo are way higher than buying in other countries.