Oldschool off-road Ford Bronco for sale in Santo Domingo

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I'll be in the capitol on the 9th. If it is still around I'll give you a call to check it out.

bronco.sd

Mar 22, 2015
I know that my ad is expired, I just want to post some info here, because I got this message to my email that looks like a PayPal scam.

So, the guy asked me about my truck, about the price, etc, and this is what I got from him after that:

--------------------
Thank you for getting back to me. Am really satisfied in buying your truck.I'm ready to pay your asking price 10,000 USD including the PayPal transfer charges,How i wish i could come to inspect this item but currently i'm working away from the country... But the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract now so am presently on sea.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to http://www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will take care of very necessary paper for me.I need your PayPal Full name and email address so i can send the money now.

Many Thanks

-----------------------

I answered him that this looks like a scam, so there is no point to continue this conversation.

the email of the scammer is markowens923@gmail.com, his name (I am sure it's fake) is Mark Owens. Or maybe somebody hacked the PayPal account of real Mark Owens and wants to pay using his money? I don't know, but I know for sure this is a scam.

So if you are selling you car in DR, beware of this.

bronco.sd

Mar 22, 2015
If he's paying you via paypal, why do you think it would be a scam?
Did you read the whole thing? Oceanographer (!) who is currently at the sea where he can email but can't make phone calls, he wants to buy my Ford Bronco in DR and he wants to transfer money AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, no questions about matricula, contract, anything?? I am sure that some bullshlt starts as soon as I give my paypal details. Smells like Nigerian scam letters.

I don't want to have my paypal account blocked because somebody will transfer money from the hacked account.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When I had an ad running here for our solar panels I received several similar e-mails. They wanted me to immediately remove the ad, send them my name, address, phone, etc., and they were wiring me the money immediately. Then they would make arrangements for shipping. A lot of scammers out there.

Jan 9, 2004
Did you read the whole thing? Oceanographer (!) who is currently at the sea where he can email but can't make phone calls, he wants to buy my Ford Bronco in DR and he wants to transfer money AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, no questions about matricula, contract, anything?? I am sure that some bullshlt starts as soon as I give my paypal details. Smells like Nigerian scam letters.

I don't want to have my paypal account blocked because somebody will transfer money from the hacked account.

One typical scam involving Paypal is they do actually wire money to your account. Usually its an amount greater than the sale price. Often times your told to keep a small amount in addition to the payment received for the item...and moneygram/WU back the overrage at the senders expense. Sounds innocuous...but...

More often than not you have been paid with a stolen check, stolen credit card, etc., and while you rejoice at the money being in your account and now could care less about having to send back the overrage...because after all.....your now using someone else's money and have no risk......right?.......wrong.

Generally your bank or Paypal shows the funds available within a day or two. However, once the fraudulent use of the credit card or check or whatever has been discovered, Paypal will pull that money back....and if you have withdrawn it already...you will need to pay it back to Paypal or your bank or whomever.

Conceivably, but not likely in your case, you could be out the goods, out the money and have even spent some of your own money.

Beware anyone that wants to buy anything sight unseen or asks you to send any overrages back via WU/Moneygram etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2