On a percentage scale. How many do you think.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
In the capital you on a lottery as far as finding English speakers who know what they are saying goes. I think this idea that 40% of people working in front of house positions in the capital (restaurants, bars, hotels, etc)speak English is nowhere near. Now if you were to ask me if 40% of these establishments had 'someone' somewhere that worked in the establishment who could string a sentence together then I'd probably not argue with maybe 40%, but I'd still only put a 15% figure on that, and those probably are the deportees stuck back in the kitchen.
To say you can walk into 40% of these establishments and hold a conversation with a staff member is bull poop of the smelliest sort. If someone is finding this then they are going out of their way to find English speaking establishments, if you want to do that then you are still on a lotto but you play better odds.

Most accommodating have one person specifically to call if a English speaker comes, these hotels are probably the likes of BQ. Restaurants, are a bit better obviously.

If you aren't speaking Spanish and have no intention then go to the Northcoast or the Eastcoast, in reality the South coast isn't THAT accommodating to those who can't be bothered. Most foreigners who speak English, aren't Dominican. And the Southcoast air makes people naturally a bit more stupid for some reason. So even if they do speak English then often they have no idea what they are saying and just repeating Americans got idol.

i can't remember holding a conversation in English in Cap, ever, not for want either. Sorry, the reality of the question is probably 2%, and they must be the places I've not found. But you learn not to so.............

Last edited:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I say in SD you have a ZERO percent chance. You maybe will find someone that can say a handfull of words, but a conversation very unlikely. San Juan PR yes, Santo Domingo no.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Santiago is the best option. Not only is it a wonderfully friendly city, it is relatively easy to drive around at any time of the day. It's perfectly located for both the mountains and superb beaches. The capital can be a very unfriendly place. This is only my opinion but check 0out both locations prior to making your base.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Yes the capital is very friendly as everyone is trying to make from you, that is true, take your cash out of the equation and I dunno, I've certainly been to friendlier environments.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
CC,

You are exhibiting symptoms of lacuna. Please let me help you finish this post....

Most really "Don't Get It" here!!!!, in PR, in the Caribbean (in general), South, Central America and would you even believe, the US.

Most people lack an education in most of the above mentioned countries. Most times not having an education prevents one from exercising good judgment.

To add fuel to the flame, most jobs in our beloved Latin American countries are given to people not necessarily because of their merits.

Expecting to find the best and brightest people in government jobs in our countries, is a "no no". :chinese:

Two words would change a lot here. Civil Servants.

Not political appointees.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Ya gotta love CCCCCCCCCCCCCC. And he is correct. When in a situation of "my bill ain't right"... NO ONE speaks English.

But I have to agree with post #2 that Jeepito made also. When I'm in Santo Domingo and I'm TRYING to use my Spanish... I am quickly but nicely told that they speak English. BETWEEN THAT AND MY WIFE HELPING... NO WONDER I CAN NOT LEARN THE DOMINICAN SPANISH. LOL.

If you have a driver and a helper, try to find one that speaks English. When I'm out, without my wife, I take my main man that has BASIC English skills but knows what I want along to help make my deals. Works great.

So finding the right help that will work for you and with you and you/she is set while learning can be a very big plus.

SEE AND READ POSTS #2 AND CCs post # 20.

It MAY... MIGHT be a matter that they DON'T want to talk to YOU! Very simple....

I've had no problems. My Dominican Spanish is bad and I know it. I keep trying. In just about every situation my bad Spanish and others having some English to better then mine.

SO........... If YOU have had a problem then don't look at the Dominicans that have it. Look at yourself.