On Christmas, Make A Poor Family Happy.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Tomorrow is today.
Just got back from a little trip to one of the poor barrios.
Two Politur cops came along with me to help distribute presents, that we left on doorsteps and balconies, and also, for general protection, in case anyone thought I was a "ladrone".
It was pretty kool, having them along with me.
Turned out to be a couple of real good guys, and they loved the idea of giving to the ultra poor.
We found some old beat up wooden shacks, that you just know had kids in there, who would be tickled pink to find that Santa Claus had come by.

Man, I love this time of the year.

Merry Christmas

I real live Santa Claus! or El Nino Jesus in person!! Merry Christmas Rocky, I only hope to be doing the same as you, I'm jealous, lol take care and to you a "Feliz Navidad".

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I real live Santa Claus! or El Nino Jesus in person!! Merry Christmas Rocky, I only hope to be doing the same as you, I'm jealous, lol take care and to you a "Feliz Navidad".
Thanks, M.A.R.,
We went out again early this morning and dropped into one of the houses from yesterday.
I've known the mother of the family for 15 years, and one of her daughters is my godchild, and named after my sister.
I asked the mother if they found anything on the doorstep the day before, and she was telling me that all the young kids in the neighbourhood were truly convinced that Santa Claus had come by the day before.
Man, what a feeling:D , and the best is yet to come.

PS: Thanks for the kind words.
I hope everybody realizes that a whole bunch of people have contributed to buying all these presents.
Thank you all for your help.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Not a bad feeling, right?

I personally wired $50 USD to the man and his family who built my home as I am in the USA for the holidays..He called and your could hear the tears in his voice thanking me for the gift well in time for X-Mas ..I'm sure they are having a feast on 1,600 pesoes...........
My WONDERFUL mother, rest her soul, used to say that "for every 1 good thing you do, God will do 2 for you, even if it takes a little while for you to see it".

When my friend Mayra and her brother delivered all the goodies to each family, she told me "Miguel, you should had be been here, people were so happy, even my brother who claim to be so strong, was crying like a baby when he saw so many people crying of happiness, he was so touched that he decided to stay in the car the last 5 homes".

That's all that matters, making the less privileged happy.

But as I told Mayra: "You better tell your brother to get his manhood back since soon he will have to deal with the "Dia de Reyes" gifts". To which she replied: "Ay dios, se enbromo Carlos, jajajajaja".

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
You are "DA MAN".....

We went out again early this morning and dropped into one of the houses from yesterday.
I've known the mother of the family for 15 years, and one of her daughters is my godchild, and named after my sister.
I asked the mother if they found anything on the doorstep the day before, and she was telling me that all the young kids in the neighbourhood were truly convinced that Santa Claus had come by the day before.
Man, what a feeling:D , and the best is yet to come.

I hope everybody realizes that a whole bunch of people have contributed to buying all these presents.
Thank you all for your help.
"The Rock", you are a good man.

I was going to call you on Christmas' Day but I forgot your number.

But let me tell you that ONE day, I WILL join you in your "gift giving" adventures. Promise. And I DO keep my promises.

Keep up the good work buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Otra vez.....

You know, when I was a kid in the DR, I remember how happy we were on Christmas' time. Everything was perfect. We had everything we needed and more. You need to be a Dominican kid to know how GREAT and joyful Christmas in the Dominican Republic is.

One day, when I was about 9-10, I told my late father that I wanted to invite a friend from a barrio to join us. This kid was very, very poor. When we were eating, we saw him trying to put his food inside a brown bag. When dad asked him what was he doing, (I don't remember his exact words, but it was something like) "I want to take this to my house to give to my brothers, sister and parents because they have nothing to eat". EVERYBODY'S hearts were broken right then and there!. Let's just say that his whole family ate Christmas' dinner at their home.

So many moons have passed and there isn't ONE Christmas that I don't think about that episode, and very often, I may add. And since I think about it all the time, I always do something about it.

Now, my questions to you guys is this:

Do you guys want your heart to feel GREEEEEAT?,
Do you guys want to feel like you have made an impact on a person's life?,
Do you wan to help a poor person celebrate Christmas?,
Do you want kids to go to bed hungry on Christmas' Day?, What, you don't?, then I have a solution for you:

Pick a poor family and give them their Christmas' dinner.

It could be a poor family you know or a poor family a friend of yours knows.

It's not that expensive and the way your heart will be feeling will be "Priceless".

Let me tell you how NOT expensive it is:

I asked my friend Mayra to go to a Supermercado and make a list of things needed for a Christmas diner and she gave me the following information:

1- Chicken= 125 pesos each (I didn't write the price she gave me for pork)
2- Mixed nuts= 120 pesos
3- Candy bag= 90 pesos
4- Big Ponche= 140 pesos
5- Grapes= 60 pesos
6- Apples= 100 pesos
7- Rice (5 lbs)= 75 pesos
8- Gandules= 50 pesos
9- Spaghetti= 25 pesos
10- 2 liter Pepsi= 50 pesos

Total: 835 pesos, which is about 27 dollars. Can you imagine making a family so happy and only spending 27 dollars?. Jesus, just my lunch at Chef Allen's, yesterday, was 12 dollars. Amazing!!.

Forget who started this thread, PLEASE help a poor Dominican family celebrate Christmas the way it's supposed to be celebrated: with joy and happiness.

I am doing my part and so far, 17 poor families WILL have Christmas dinner on their tables. Can you guys look into your hearts and just help at least one. Even if you are helping someone you know, try helping someone you don't know also. Trust me, the feeling WILL last you a lifetime, plain PRICELESS!!.

Let a poor person in the DR celebrate Christmas the way it's supposed to be celebrated.

Btw: Even if you can't help with all of the above, try helping with some of it.

Thanks.
It's that time of the year again....

For all you newbies, read UP.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Mguel, I am glad you resurrected this thread! After the damages caused by our storm last night, this will be even more important. If every poster could provide just one family with Christmas dinner then it would be a very good thing.

1- Chicken= 125 pesos each (I didn't write the price she gave me for pork)
2- Mixed nuts= 120 pesos
3- Candy bag= 90 pesos
4- Big Ponche= 140 pesos
5- Grapes= 60 pesos
6- Apples= 100 pesos
7- Rice (5 lbs)= 75 pesos
8- Gandules= 50 pesos
9- Spaghetti= 25 pesos
10- 2 liter Pepsi= 50 pesos

Prices have changed - just add 25% and it is still an easy thing to do! So for less then $40 US you can supply a much needed holiday treat.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Miguel, Planner I can provide one family. I just want to know how to send the money... Lucille

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Gracias.....

Manana is the day...

Thanks to all of those who did their part.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
With the help of another poster from the U.S. we provided Christmas dinner for 3 families! It feels good to do! We did deviate from the basic list and added some goodies.

To me it is the true spirit of Christmas! We all seem to have so much and we just take it for granted.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
De verdad....

With the help of another poster from the U.S. we provided Christmas dinner for 3 families! It feels good to do! We did deviate from the basic list and added some goodies.

To me it is the true spirit of Christmas! We all seem to have so much and we just take it for granted.

Happy Holidays to everyone.
Indeed.

Mr and Mrs Claus (Mayra and brother) did their "round" yesterday....The say that it's the best feeling in the world.....They even had me talk to some of the families....Great feeling, let me tell you!.