One of the most difficult undertakings ever!

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
The "protocol" would be the reason the government will use to get you to continue paying fees, a carrot held in front of you that you can never seem to reach. Attorneys will "help" you for a fee. You can use the "normal" residency process, for which there is already a protocol. I agree with the comment that Haitians will be excluded. I believe excluding Haitians was the point of the recent emphasis on immigration policies all along.

Very few Haitians will qualify. Neither will some from other countries.

I have no idea what protocol the lawyer says is coming. Just apply for residency if you qualify if that is your intention.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The "protocol" would be the reason the government will use to get you to continue paying fees, a carrot held in front of you that you can never seem to reach. Attorneys will "help" you for a fee. You can use the "normal" residency process, for which there is already a protocol. I agree with the comment that Haitians will be excluded. I believe excluding Haitians was the point of the recent emphasis on immigration policies all along.

We are all forgetting that the primary purpose of the Plan was to rectify the past injustices of Dominicans bringing Haitians to the country without proper documentation to work.

Many Haitians and their offspring will get residency or more as a result now that they have stamps/cards.

Hopefully many Dominican and indeed expatriate employers of Haitians who now have their stamp/card will now get their employees work permits in the window that has been provided.

Some won't and in time they lose their status and will face the consequences.

And for a few other foreigners who were able to take advantage of the Plan, they now have a window in which they can decide to leave and go back home or obtain residency without starting the process in their home country.

Of course they can live in hope that the government will give them more concessions and if they do so all good for them. But if they don't just they need to take it on the chin and make their move.

heisy

Jun 8, 2015
Quick question: Can someone confirm for certain that this visa does entitle one to seek emplyment?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Quick question: Can someone confirm for certain that this visa does entitle one to seek emplyment?

Don't recall reading anything official but......

http://presidencia.gob.do/noticias/si-tengo-papele-soy-libre-video

This is government propaganda video from back end of July relating to the Plan........with papers....'A salvo del hambre y de la falta de empleo',

You can find several more videos on the new Migracion website if you scroll down to the bottom of the opening page with the same message.

Last edited:

KITTU

May 13, 2015
Is it not easy just to go back home and apply for visa there and come here and do the remaining process? Inspite of having a business, having hired a 'big' law firm who couldn't help me file for papers here. My only solution is to go back to my home country and file for visa. I am going to do it but next year. I gave up any chances of getting my cedula from here. It's not worth it!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Is it not easy just to go back home and apply for visa there and come here and do the remaining process? Inspite of having a business, having hired a 'big' law firm who couldn't help me file for papers here. My only solution is to go back to my home country and file for visa. I am going to do it but next year. I gave up any chances of getting my cedula from here. It's not worth it!

Having travelled widely and worked overseas for many a year, I really do struggle to understand ho anybody would ever contemplate opening a business in another country without work permission or residency (not all countries regionally permit persons to work with residency). Anyhow, you decided not to run the course of the Plan and have now decided on regularizing and that has to be sensible the way the world is developing because DR is no different to all the other developing nations and is changing.

heisy

Jun 8, 2015

Well, what is easy and what is not or what is worth what for each individual depends on many things and only the actual individual can make that choice.
For me it is a God sent that I do not have to return to my home Country and wait for weeks/months for a residence decision......

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

For some people, they have no Dominican embassy in their home country. So it is not easy for them to return home. Even if they do, the embassy might be in New York City and that means spending big money on hotel rooms while getting the paperwork in order. And of course there is the cost of the round trip flight to wherever home might be. All that can add up. If you did not become "regularized" you will have to go home to become a legal resident from this time forward.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
My understanding is that you can work and your employer will not run the risk of huge fines for employing an undocumented person. You cannot join the TSS scheme (Social Security), get a driving licence, or open a bank account because all of these actions require a cedula. However I recently saw someone open a bank account with a passport so I'm not certain how strictly that is enforced.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
The company I work for will accept it, others won't, I don't think there's a clear answer. BUT if you start your Residency process, anyone will hire you with the receipts of that.

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
My understanding is that you can work and your employer will not run the risk of huge fines for employing an undocumented person. You cannot join the TSS scheme (Social Security), get a driving licence, or open a bank account because all of these actions require a cedula. However I recently saw someone open a bank account with a passport so I'm not certain how strictly that is enforced.
I recently opened 2 bank accounts with only a passport. I do have an NM1 Visa that's good until next June, but they didn't even turn to that page....or even make a copy. They just wanted to see a passport and write the number on the paperwork. Banco Santa Cruz.

...sent by smoke signal from Cigar Country