Ongoing Work On The Highway In Sosua

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Does anyone know what is going on with the curb work that is going through Sosua? Over a month ago they stopped installing new curbs leaving the ends unfinished without the radius done to the side streets. Now they are in the process of removing these curbs. Did somebody not get paid so they decided to take them out? Are they the wrong color? Wrong location? I was in the road building business my whole life and have never seen anything like this. Care to enlighten me.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It is one of the poorest quality jobs and I have yet to see in DR, and have not seen any grades being set with a level.
I think the DR has decided if they are going to use all Haitian crews they will adopt Haiti QC standards too.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Those have to be the biggest curbs I've ever seen in my life. I didn't notice them being removed when I went to Sosua last week(?). It looked like they had added a lot more coliche along both sides of the highway though and were framing for more curbs. I think they were out to CMC or more now.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Those have to be the biggest curbs I've ever seen in my life. I didn't notice them being removed when I went to Sosua last week(?). It looked like they had added a lot more coliche along both sides of the highway though and were framing for more curbs. I think they were out to CMC or more now.
They started at super hola and are removing the curbs toward papattera. All by hand, sledge hammer, pick and shovel. Must be a government work project.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They started at super hola and are removing the curbs toward papattera. All by hand, sledge hammer, pick and shovel. Must be a government work project.
Maybe it's because they are so high - non-standard(?). It wouldn't be easy for many cars to pull off the highway to the side of the road.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Maybe it's because they are so high - non-standard(?). It wouldn't be easy for many cars to pull off the highway to the side of the road.
if that's the case the curbs up by the CMC will be coming out too. Those look almost a foot high as I drive by.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
if that's the case the curbs up by the CMC will be coming out too. Those look almost a foot high as I drive by.
Went to Sosua today and they were taking out more of the curb near Pappaterra. At the same time, they were framing and putting in more curbing east of CMC now. They're almost to the small, short, bridge.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
The workers are working near my place and are installing the new curbs, again. I asked one of the guys why they removed the curbs a couple weeks ago and are now reinstalling them. He says the curbs were removed by order of the engineer as they were not up to standard. Apperantlly they were not high enough. The new curbs are at least a foot high. After they are all done the cars can bounce off them like bumper cars. Me thinks maybe the engineer is high.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The workers are working near my place and are installing the new curbs, again. I asked one of the guys why they removed the curbs a couple weeks ago and are now reinstalling them. He says the curbs were removed by order of the engineer as they were not up to standard. Apperantlly they were not high enough. The new curbs are at least a foot high. After they are all done the cars can bounce off them like bumper cars. Me thinks maybe the engineer is high.
Or they are planning for the next 4 asphalt overlays in which case the curbs will be the right height. Someone should setup a hubcap recovery business along this stretch of road

• Haha

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They will have a one meter drop to accommodate Motos that want to drive on the sidewalk to avoid traffic....................

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
At least they may stop the carritos and other unable-to-wait drivers from making an extra lane to jump a line of traffic.
And possibly cause accidents when they are impatient and try that anyway. I see they are still proceeding with more high curbs.