Only 2 to a motorbike

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Helmets in POP

Helmets? ha

After a year of living where I do I've seen exactly 1 guy wearing a helmet on a moto ...and he was a peace corp worker.

it is interesting how kids are considered passengers based on age ...and I'm SURE when stopped a lot of them will have proper identification on them to justify their age too! :) ....

I'm not saying the law is a bad idea ... but until any action is taken against all of the drunk moto drivers ...presidente in hand while driving ...transporting various appliances etc on motos ...and just pure crazy, fast out of countrol driving ....well, until these kind of things are approached I think this law is a bit far fetched. Although 5,6,7 on a moto still makes me turn my head, I think there are other moto-related problems to be looked at first.

In March of 2005 in POP I did see a number of helmets in use. Abnormally high. all in fifteen minutes. Then I saw some guys selling them on the side of the road. Followed 5 minutes later by a police check point for helmets. Has this kind of thing been repeated?

What will they do with the 2 passenger limit? Have a drop-off excess passenger point? I can bet there will be more entrepreneurs/drivers there ready to spirit them away? Gotta love small business.

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
Does anyone have access to the percentages of accidents/injuries/fatalities, of that being the fault of no helmuts or more than 2 passengers?

I know it is a sight to behold for a tourist, but hasnt it been the norm there forever? And then if the percentages are low should these laws be changed?

I have asked locals a few times, about the dangers involved, and they just laughed at me......

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I saw a guy carring turkeys in Santiago, a stick with about 8 or 10 big turkeys, I will post the picture later today..

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
It's a start.

The DR is the only place I know where two motoconchos can collide and injure 10 riders.