Only in the DR

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, I responded. But did not post it. Sometimes, it is not worth it.

FM, ever bathed in a pool for three weeks non-stop ... a pool that became greener daily? Ever carried buckets for washing and showering for a family with no end in sight? For weeks?

I guess not!

You're not offending anyone, you simply are on a different planet.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Oh, I am. We have heard about the upwards crime rate but not once have I heard a complaint about less power and less water. Of course my husband's family has a sistern (sp?) (like a big open well that has fresh water).

Like I said, we talk to my husband's family almost daily and that is exactly my point. For a large part of the population, the current situation of less luz/water is not as big a deal for some as for others. My husband's family is also certainly not the poorest of the poor. I am not trying to be the devils advocate here... but I think that the perspective of a lot of people on this site (most are fortunate enough to have a computer to post from and money to pay to do so) is not what quite a lot of people would agree with.

Again, just trying to convey another perspective. :)

You seem like the type of person who can really enjoy a country like DR for its good and bad. You've managed to set yourself aside from the closed mentality that many north americans have--that is, to see the worse in things like lack of electricity. I too am not saying I wish the DR to continue this way; I sincerely wish that someday, this crisis will end. However, some of my best memories of DR is how everyone gets together after a blackout---everyone from the barrio, get their candles, hook up a radio with batteries and make a party out of it, or what's often the case--start telling jokes and anecdotes. I also appreciate things like going to the well that the entire barrio uses in my grandmother's backyard to get some water, and taking about 2 minutes trying to be brave enough to bathe myself in that oh so cold water I'm not used to---only to find that it's really refreshing. Some of you may not see the beauty in all this...and that's too bad...I guess it's your loss. Remember, "you can complain because roses have thorns, OR you can rejoice because thorns have roses."

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
No Rampage

.... rampant rioting (around POP)??? Sure crime has been up but I think that's a far cry from rioting.

Well, there maybe a misunderstanding here due to my limited command of English.
What they call 'huelga' here, I call riot (no 'rampant') or disturbance, because a 'strike' (literal translation) to me (as a German) is something else.
There is crime and there are 'huelgas'.
Different things as I see it, certainly different motives.

m'frog

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Those Good Ol' Days Are Gone

You seem like the type of person who can really enjoy a country like DR for its good and bad. You've managed to set yourself aside from the closed mentality that many north americans have--that is, to see the worse in things like lack of electricity. I too am not saying I wish the DR to continue this way; I sincerely wish that someday, this crisis will end. However, some of my best memories of DR is how everyone gets together after a blackout---everyone from the barrio, get their candles, hook up a radio with batteries and make a party out of it, or what's often the case--start telling jokes and anecdotes. I also appreciate things like going to the well that the entire barrio uses in my grandmother's backyard to get some water, and taking about 2 minutes trying to be brave enough to bathe myself in that oh so cold water I'm not used to---only to find that it's really refreshing. Some of you may not see the beauty in all this...and that's too bad...I guess it's your loss. Remember, "you can complain because roses have thorns, OR you can rejoice because thorns have roses."

Mind me asking:
From where are you dreaming and preaching?
El campo?

m'frog

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Mind me asking:
From where are you dreaming and preaching?
El campo?

m'frog

Actually, no, I'm not dreaming and it's not the campo. Ensanche La Fe, Santo Domingo. My grandmother has a home and some land behind it with some rented out shacks--for lack of a better word. This is what takes place when the lights go out.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
El Campo

Actually, no, I'm not dreaming and it's not the campo.

Well, life in deed used to be better in the campo, I think.
My wife tells me, that near here, there was a spring where people used to get their water from.
An old man was its custodian. He kept the site clean and only allowed people to use one particular tin to fill their buckets.

Nowadays there's a dumping site near that spring which is polluted and in a mess.

The river that runs through Las Terrenas is used as a sewer, people move in and build their houses on the river banks and use the river in every way one can think of...

Respect for nature is diminishing and nobody seems to care. The very resources people depend on are treated as if they were renewable...

m'frog

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Well, it's true, life used to be better in the campo I think.

Nowadays there's a dumping site near that spring which is polluted and in a mess.

Respect for nature is diminishing and nobody seems to care. The very resources people depend on are treated as if they were renewable...

m'frog

Now this is something I can agree with.

We go swimming at a number of rivers near POP and over the past few years I have noticed more and more garbage and pollution around the area, which unfortunately has lessened the value of once popular swimming holes and of course the safety/sanitary quality. Garbage and pollution are two things on the top of my list that I would like to see decreased in the DR or else these "luxuries" to locals and tourists will soon be non-existant!

I don't know if you are familiar with the swimming hole "La Piedra" (as named by the locals) which is down the road to Camu from Gran Parada and then you veer to the left... well there is a house about 100 or so feet up from the river that just dumps their garbage down the side of the riverbank and over the past few years I have just seen it get worse and worse. There is a definite lack of environmental responsibilty in most "campo" communities but then again, education in such areas is very poor.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
I too agree with this. I'm hoping the surge on ecotourism will at least educate some people on the importance of preservation...alas any eco education would only be for some areas of the DR.

Though education from the people is a huge part, the garbage has got to go somewhere....that's where the gov. comes in...

I don't even remember how this thread began.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Here I go1

For a large part of the population, the current situation of less luz/water is not as big a deal for some as for others. My husband's family is also certainly not the poorest of the poor. I am not trying to be the devils advocate here... but I think that the perspective of a lot of people on this site (most are fortunate enough to have a computer to post from and money to pay to do so) is not what quite a lot of people would agree with.

Again, just trying to convey another perspective. :)
Ok, here goes my 2 "motas", I have a question then an opinion:

Fiesta Mama, do you know that great merenguero, Johnny Ventura is called "La costumbre" ("the custom")?.

Dominicans call him that because he has been around forever and they are used to him.

MANY may not like his merengues but they sure know that in any given day, bam, they will be listening to his songs, whether they like it or not. They have one choice: "you better get used to listening to his merengues because he is not going anywhere". Get it?.

In my opinion, there's NOT one Dominican who likes when the light goes out or when there's no water to even take a bath, NOT one!.

Now, that MOST are used to it, of course, but what other choice do they have?. It's either get used to it or jump over a bridge (and I don't see many jumping over a bridge for not been able to take a shower or because the light went out).

Of course there are MANY foreigners that would not mind living like prehistoric people while in the DR. I even have a friend who does charity work in the DR who moved to a little campo and offered medical help for/to the poor. He lived there for about 2 years and did not mind living as a poor person. This is a doctor who did not mind having, at times, enough water to just "shower his winnie". He did not mind that there was NO electricity there, EVER. He claims that those 2 years have been the best 2 years of his life since he made a difference.

I believe people can adapt and get used to their surroundings.

I see it like this: if you are a foreigner and you marry a poor Dominican while you met him/her on vacation, you have to deal with the cards you dealt to yourself. You either accept his/her family or you don't. MOST foreigners do, therefore, you either get used to his/her surroundings or you will live a very miserable life.

I have been saying for years that when one dates or marries a Dominican, there's a lot of shyt that one have to get used to. There are no choices, if you want to be with them, YOU have to adapt to their way of living.

If you go around and married a poor chap, that's the life you will live while over there with him/her, if you marry a rich Dominican (in many cases, not a chance since MOST rich Dominicans will NOT date a foreigner), then you will live comfortably while over there.

In a way, I am agreeing with you, FM, because I do know a few foreigners that do not mind the simple way of life in the DR. Now, that Dominican like it, absolutely not. They are just used to it. What other choice do they have?.

I, for one, do not mind it while on vacation. But if I, after living in the greatest country in the world, lived in the DR, there's no way in hell that I will not have all the modern technologies to live a very comfortable life.

One of the reasons I always say that people should marry up is because when one marries down, there's a big chance that the other person will bring all his/her problems along and in time that person will bring you down with him/her.

Inheriting (?) a poor Dominican family is not a piece of cake. But if that is what we chose, then we have to be willing to adapt to their way of living. As simple as that!.

Last edited:

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I don't agree with your second point, Miguel. Live with the cards DEALT to me? I didn't marry her family any more than she married MINE. We married each other. If I don't want to be around her family, who cares? I won't be.

Live with family? Never. On either side. You can still be dominican and not have to adopt the negative attributes of living as a dominican. Adapt to their living conditions, or live a miserable life??? It's the other way around, Einstein Sanchez. Adapt to THEIR way of life and be miserable.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
But of course!

I don't agree with your second point, Miguel. Live with the cards DEALT to me? I didn't marry her family any more than she married MINE. We married each other. If I don't want to be around her family, who cares? I won't be.

Live with family? Never. On either side. You can still be dominican and not have to adopt the negative attributes of living as a dominican. Adapt to their living conditions, or live a miserable life??? It's the other way around, Einstein Sanchez. Adapt to THEIR way of life and be miserable.
Now, follow me.... go read my post again and you will see that the key word is "MOST", as in some don't but "MOST" do.

Just because you don't want to be around her family if you don't care to, doesn't mean that SHE will not want to be around her family and try to help her family.

I can bet my life that if her family is poor, in some ways, you help her family. If you live in the DR with her, you help her family, if you live abroad with her, you help her family. Even if it's a few pesos here and there.

I don't know if you have noticed but MOST poor Dominicans, when they marry up (or a foreigner, even if that foreigner is as poor as them back in his/her home country), are expected to help their families in one way or another.

I know of enough foreigners married to Dominicans to know that ONE of their excuses for helping her/his family is: "Well, I never give anything for free, they have to do some type of work for me to earn what I give them". Yeah right.

We even had a person, here, saying that the money he gave his wife's mother was because she would take care of their kids and their house. I mean, if the wife was ok with her mother being a maid, good for her. I am a true believer that if a person TRULY needs help, that it's ok to help such person. Now, helping one person is one thing but helping the whole family is another.

If I ever marry a Dominican female (trust me, it will NEVER happen, but let just suppose) and I see that her mother is sick, handicapped or incapable of working, there's no way in hell that I would make her work for me in order for me to help her. I would help HER, not the whole family, just her. If I see with my own eyes that she can't hold a job, why make her a maid or something. We are talking about my wife's mother, not just an average person. Now, if she is able to work but is too lazy to do so and all she wants is a handout, then NO SOUP FOR HER!, if you know that I mean.

I guess you are one of those "SOME", or should I say, one of the very few.

Btw, it's "MR" Einstein Ladanise to you.