Opening up a premimum food stores....

May 29, 2006
You'd be better off buying a couple condo's and hire him to manage them for short to medium term rentals. Worst case scenario is you end up with property you can flip. There is nothing about the store idea that will work with someone who isn't motivated.

I owned a small store once in the Pacific Islands and worked seven days a week from 7:30AM to 11PM with an hour lunch and zero drinking(or video games). I put every penny back into the place for three months before I took any profit from it. The DR isn't exactly a place I'd bring someone in if they like living easy and you'd want them to work hard.

You'd prob do better having him sell dollar store items to colmados distributing. Crap like cigarette lighters, toys, beauty products and other items you'd sell at least a dozen at a time at a 100% mark-up over import cost. He'd need a truck(eventually) but he could start small and scale it up IF he could make it work. You haven't mentioned whether he is fluent in Dominican Spanish..

The other thing you could do is have him fulfill orders in NYC, pack shipping barrels for you, and ship down to the DR through one of the established shipping companies. You'd need someone on the DR side to wholesale or retail the products, but he would actually be of use.

Does your brother speak fluent (Dominican) Spanish?

May 29, 2006
Actually, the video game thing reminds me of a bar owner I know that bought one of these on Ebay. He says he gets $100 week tax free from the one machine.

Megatouch Force 2005 Arcade Game Countertop Arcade Game | eBay

What they normally do in the bars is the game supplier comes by every other week and they split the money 50/50. The bar would have to provide quarters and dollars at a "reasonable" exchange rate. You can also get machines that run on tokens. Don't know the legal status on these, but some coin games are illegal in the DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think he has a great idea!
Many foreign investors come to the DR for a short amount of time, and leave with a million Dollars in their pocket!
"OH!", but they came with two million dollars in their pocket!
SADLY, I think he actually is real.
And soon he will be "REAL Broke"!
The ONLY thing worse than having a stranger work for you, is having a family member work for you!
The business could be very profitable, but only for your employees.
They take their cut from your inventory, and cash register, before you get a turn.
They never realize here, that if the business fails today, they will have no job tomorrow.

I once thought very seriously about opening a Whore House!
My friends talked me out of it.
They said I would just "EAT UP" all the profits!
I suggest he takes Chip's advice.
(As Predictable & Self Serving as it is!)
Invest in real estate in the DR?????????
Now why didn't we all do that???
"Having A Brain" could be one reason.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
I have several other idea's that will cost you a lot less money and have a better chance of showing a return. As others have stated, opening, running and turning a profit in business in the DR is NOT like it is in the US,for many of the obvious reasons including the fact that your operator would be your brother. Save your money, and let him find his own way. When he is ready to make something of himself he will do it on his own. If you help, chances are he will *&* it up!! Not because he wants to, but because if he really wants to do something, he will make his own effort and only come to you, when he has a viable and sensible business plan. If you are interested in a viable business, I have some interesting, and PROVEN business models that are winners in many markets, Latin America not being an exception. However, like any business it takes not only capital, it also takes work work and more work.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I am all for you opening up premium store but I would not work with family members. There's only one outcome. A bad one.