opinion on the u.s. taxing on d.r properties on u.s citizen and residents

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
BTW... if you recall... the Swiss gov't penalized/chastised the Swiss banks for releasing said info

such is the pressure the IRS can bring to bear..in conjunction w/ the US gov't

This is incorrect-the Swiss banks in question never released details to accounts and instead payed a record fine. They were informed by the Swiss Gvt. that they will lose their banking license and face criminal charges, if they intended on releasing information about any accounts.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
nonetheless... the names/accounts got out..... hence the gov't involvement

UK just did the same thing... but broadcasted it beforehand

the chicks flew the nest before the fox arrived

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is incorrect-the Swiss banks in question never released details to accounts and instead payed a record fine. They were informed by the Swiss Gvt. that they will lose their banking license and face criminal charges, if they intended on releasing information about any accounts.

subsequently.......... who would go to a Swiss Bank any more?

business is off a bit -- they say

perception is reality

Jan 9, 2004

Actually, UBS did pay a record fine AND released details. They had to if they wanted to continue banking in the US. What came of that was a period of amnesty for taxpayers as long as they came forward voluntarily.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
not worth the argument PC2

it happened...... everybody has a different take....

you bet they released the accounts..... they went public

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Swiss Banking Industry will be a long time recovering.

can you imagine the flight of capital??

Switzerland... formerly the safest haven

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I worked for UBS recently. They are definitely hurting. They need to cut 6 billion in expenses.

Many tasks are being off-shored to India. Ugly...................................

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Actually, UBS did pay a record fine AND released details. They had to if they wanted to continue banking in the US. What came of that was a period of amnesty for taxpayers as long as they came forward voluntarily.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

That is correct in terms of UBS because of action taken by Swiss Lawmakers and also Wegelin. That was not the case with the recent Credit Suisse settlement.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
God bless the fact that I am not a US citizen.......:classic::classic::classic:

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
God bless the fact that I am not a US citizen.......:classic::classic::classic:

You can say that again. What a complete clusterf' for U.S. Citizens having to reside under a tax system based on citizenship. The only other country in the world that has such a system is a military dictatorship in E. Africa (Eritrea).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That is correct in terms of UBS because of action taken by Swiss Lawmakers and also Wegelin. That was not the case with the recent Credit Suisse settlement.

without laying any blame....let's just look at facts.

several / various accounts of Swiss banks became public knowledge.... somehow, somebody 'gave them up'

punitive responses ensued.... directed at Swiss banks

we can assume that capital fled the Swiss Banks.... reported to have happened

Recent Swiss settlement has nothing to do with the prior settlement

All those with Offshore Accounts..... raise your hands

the rest of you just read the news........... as reported -- with passing interest.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You can say that again. What a complete clusterf' for U.S. Citizens having to reside under a tax system based on citizenship. The only other country in the world that has such a system is a military dictatorship in E. Africa (Eritrea).

and it is pretty small --- as I recall

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
without laying any blame....let's just look at facts.

several / various accounts of Swiss banks became public knowledge.... somehow, somebody 'gave them up'

punitive responses ensued.... directed at Swiss banks

we can assume that capital fled the Swiss Banks.... reported to have happened

Recent Swiss settlement has nothing to do with the prior settlement

All those with Offshore Accounts..... raise your hands

the rest of you just read the news........... as reported -- with passing interest.

Credit Suisse did turn over about 238 names, but most of those people were already dead. CS wanted to hand over 7,500 names, but Swiss Gvt. told the bank if they do so then they will be facing time in Swiss prison. So irregardless, I think you can see the Swiss laws for banking confidentiality are still a serious matter and other than their IGA 2 FATCA arrangement, I don't think you will see any further extraordinary cooperation from Switzerland going forward.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
owning property in d.r. with a revenue stream from the u.s. (cash) was the way to go...might this be soon over? friends would send all adults(family) with under10kus once or twice ayear. depending on streams in the n.y. area.
i dont think that this is going to stop...ive been stopped and "almost"strip searched by u.s. customs looking for cash...but alls we
ll and i told the truth....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You are worried that the DR will report "Transactions, banking activities, etc., to the IRS??????
They can't locate anyone's property title, etc, let alone report it to the USA!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
from what i read the u.s is going to have acces to bank accounts,properties,incomes because of a new agrement they signed.....correct me if im wrong

To answer your question, FACTA does not relate to foreign real estate. In fact, foreign real estate is one of the last areas of financial privacy for US citizens.

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
im not sure if it matters to have a bank account in the d.r with your u.s passport or with your cedula,i think if you opened one up with your u.s passport you might get the short end of the stick

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
To answer your question, FACTA does not relate to foreign real estate. In fact, foreign real estate is one of the last areas of financial privacy for US citizens.

thats understandable,how about if you have a small business over there like any income