Orang or Verizon Compatible Cell Phones - Again

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Swede, Ya gotta love eBay!

You bring an old CDMA phone to Verizon, you have a new number in less than 5 minutes at Playero. I can not be bothered with knowing whether my GSM phone's SIM card is locked or unlocked.

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002
amy2761 said:
This has been hashed and re-hashed so many times on the board, I know but please bear with me as when I searched I couldn't find anything that actually answered my question completely.

Here it is: Which phones bought outside of the DR are Orange or Verizon compatible?

I am under the impression that a triband unlocked or GSM (or 'world') phone works with an Orange SIM card .... is this correct?

What about Verizon?

Thanks for your patience!

Stay well,
Amy

Hi Amy, I know almost nothing about cell phones or computers! Very technically challenged! LOL!
I was in Cabarete in December and brought my Nokia cell phone wiith Cingular service with me. I counted on using it in airports to coordinate my back in the US pick ups! Well, the first night I was sitting on the beach at La Casita having dinner and wondered what time it was. I didnt have a watch and pulled my cell out to turn it on to see if I could still see the time on it. Well, to my shock I had a signal and a message from Orange saying welcome! I called my husband from the beach in Cabarete! How cool! Now, my girlfriend, who has the same service (Cingular) - her phone did not work.
When I got home I asked our sales guy and he said that my package included international and hers did not. Of course, it will cost about 2.00 per minute! I didnt use it much, thank goodness!
Now, the best part is that I wont get billed from Cingular until THEY get billed from Orange. He says it can take up to three months. And may not get billed at all! Ha! Only in the Dominican Republic!
It was very nice to have my cell phone working. I am so dependant on it! Even if I didnt use it much it was still nice to know it was there if I needed it!
So, this probably wont help you out at all. Just thought it was an interseting storey!
Sunny44

DEV

Dec 1, 2005
CDMA and GSM

I'm not going into which service is the best in the DR, Orange or Verizon. I have had both and used both.

Orange is GSM and has the SIM chip. The GSM technology is standard in Europe and most of Asia, with the exception of Japan. It is also used now by Cingular/AT&T.

Verizon is CDMA, without a chip, strictly a software issue.

With Verizon/Dominica you can activate with a prepaid on NAM 2 for the DR and NAM 1 for the States.

With Orange the chip is changed for the country you're in. I have a Chinese SIM, Vietnamese SIM, and an Orange DR Sim. Just change chips depending on what country you are in.

I do not know about cost, I only worry about service in the part of the country I am in at the time.

Good luck,

Don V

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
my question above was if the phone mentioned (see above) would work with Orange? Any help would be great...thanks tom

tgood1

Jan 1, 2005
twhitehead said:
my question above was if the phone mentioned (see above) would work with Orange? Any help would be great...thanks tom

Yes, that phone should work with Orange, but not with Verizon. I've never heard of the brand before, but since it is tri-band GSM it should work.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Tamborista said:
Swede, Ya gotta love eBay!

You bring an old CDMA phone to Verizon, you have a new number in less than 5 minutes at Playero.

Yup, eBay is my friend! :classic:

My own Verizon cellphone also works just about anywhere in the DR, but the cost is high - about $1.30 a minute. It is OK for emergencies, though.

Swede

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
tgood1 said:
Yes, that phone should work with Orange, but not with Verizon. I've never heard of the brand before, but since it is tri-band GSM it should work.
Thank you so much for the info. One other question - Would a dual band (GSM850 &1900) work with Orange? Thanks again...tom

tgood1

Jan 1, 2005
I'm not sure about that. The only dual band phone orange sells is 1800/900 MHZ, so I would guess that is what they operate on and your phone would not work, but it is possible.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
Cell Phone Illiterate

I am in Canada and want to send a cell phone to a friend in Puerto Plata. It is an older style Nokia that I do not use any more. First of all, will I have any trouble mailing and getting through Customs, and Secondly, will my friend have any trouble getting it hooked up there with a provider? I see people mentioning the phone being unlocked but not being cell phone savvy, I don't know what that means. Thanks for any help.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
The Bone

I am in Canada and want to send a cell phone to a friend in Puerto Plata.

Why the hassle?
Here they sell 'celulars' (reconditioned) for as low as 400 RD$ even coming with a 'tarjeta' worth 200 RD$...
So, you get a phone for about 6 US$.
Sure, they are not the luxuriuos sankie models but one can make calls and they serve the purpose.... ;)

m'frog

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
tricom .95 pesos per minute?

Is it true tricom is dropping there cell rates to less tham 1 peso per minute. Or is this a house rate? Someone else said if you prepay 1000 pesos on a cell you get the low rate. Anyone hear anything about this? How is the tricom signal in the luperon area? Any info greatly appreciated. :glasses:

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I am in Canada and sent a cellphone to DR

Last year, I sent my "old" Rogers Wireless Motorola V300 Quad band GSM phone down to the DR as is right through Canada Post, along with some greeting cards and letters, I think it cost about $8.00 CDN last year.

The phone required unlocking and my girlfriend put her old chip in it, but it worked with Orange I think...I don't know how much it cost to have it unlocked. All I noticed was that for some reason it was a little more expensive to call her...

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Why the hassle?
Here they sell 'celulars' (reconditioned) for as low as 400 RD$ even coming with a 'tarjeta' worth 200 RD$...
So, you get a phone for about 6 US$.
Sure, they are not the luxuriuos sankie models but one can make calls and they serve the purpose.... ;)

m'frog

That's a good price...where did you see the refurbished phone? I'd be interested in the non-sankie model phone. Is that in Puerto Plata?

Thanks
N

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Technical question

I have had a few cel phones here and most have a weak signal with Orange. The best one is one I have now - Sony Ericsson 910, the signal is really strong even in bad areas - except the mountains. Now my question. Does anyone know which make and model phone would give the same good service and strong signal that will work with Verizon. There was one company here I saw someone with and it worked in all areas Centurion. Does anyone know about this and where I can buy on the North Coast please?

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I have had great luck with Verizon and LG phones. I had signal every time I checked from Puerta Plata to Santiago using the mountain road.My friend in the car with me had Orange and he didnt have as good of luck with his service.