Origin of DR1ers

Where are you from?

• Total voters

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
You might have given just the reason why United States of America is losing its strengths. Correct me if I am wrong because I don't know the time before I was born. But even in couple of decades ago it was rare to hear someone say I am African-American, Italian-American, Irish-American, Mexican-American, and Chinese-American and so on. You are either American or else. This whole generalization of people in the country of USA is more and more look like country is being divided inside. What you are saying is. Yes, we are all Americans on paper but we are Dominican, Italian, Irish, Chinese etc.. first. I know you can't change your color of your skins or ethnicity but where have those "I am American and I am proud of it" kind of mentality go? Yes I do have Italian-Irish and probably other blood mixture in me but I don't go out of my way to say I am Italian-Irish-American-Mut.

The United States of America started as a melting pot but it's now more like a sancocho. There is a common sauce that takes from all the ingredients but you can also taste the individual ingredients separately.

There are the common values we all share and those are the most important things, freedom and all that, but we can still notice and even celebrate our differences. I don't think it makes the US any weaker or its citizens less patriotic.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
No, not caucasian kinda thing. Polish, Italian, Russian, Greek kinda thing. Ethnicity.
(...)
Mr. AE has Italian ancestry on both sides of his family, but he doesn't acknowledge it any more than he does his Spanish ancestry. He's Dominican. Period.

ach, polish is a nationality, i think. ethnicity to me is all this PC stuff trying to inoffensively inquire about the skin shade :)

and i second dominicans being dominicans part. miesposo's ancestors come from italy, spain, cuba, puerto rico, haiti and god knows where else. he says: soy dominicano. nothing more.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I feel like in the 1990 census when you could only choose one racial category.

I'm PUERTORICAN Dude!!! Hispanic! I'm not black and I'm not white, I'm brown!!!
Even the 2010 census was an issue. I'm not black AND white either.

Oye Gitana, you're not alone. I'm a white Puerto Rican-American, born and raised in the U.S. of A., a category that too, is non-existent in census statistics. We're living in an increasingly homogeneous global society. This challenges census takers and makes the issue of participating more contentious, in particular when asked to describe race, ethnicity, and color of skin. I used ethnicity to describe what I was looking for. My bad. NALs new the fix when he described and titled the poll in terms of country of origin.

Also, although I was born in the USA, my essence is that of a Nuyorican. Since I was born, raised, and learned my English in NYC, however, I polled as an American. Where did you learn your English? If in PR, then you are Caribbean in origin for purposes of this poll. Baya.

Last edited:

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
FYI Disclosure: My apologies to those that have felt impropriety in my solicitation. My curiousity is based on trying to make demographic comparisons btwn DR1ers and tourists to DR. My motive is benign. Thank you all for responding to the inquiry to whatever extent you did.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Only if Mary-Sue is married to the cop. In my hometown you can suck face and smoke a joint walking down the street and you won't get arrested, but ride a bicycle without a helment and you'll be stopped and ticketed.

try that in Jeddah, then come back and tell us the results. that is what i am talking about. people from societies that cover their women's faces, and want to continue that practice in Canada, will not allow you to bring your values to their countries. please read my postings a little more carefully.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I feel like in the 1990 census when you could only choose one racial category.

I'm PUERTORICAN Dude!!! Hispanic! I'm not black and I'm not white, I'm brown!!!
Even the 2010 census was an issue. I'm not black AND white either.

Maybe it's my English, but I've always read that as the person saying he is American and the other word being a modifier, like you're giving more information about yourself. Saying you're Chinese American as you would talk about the yellow car. It's a car, and the color is yellow.

In a place where Kentucky Fried Chicken becomes K.F.C. and Burger King becomes B.K. because it's too many words you can't really expect most people to say they are "American-of-Chinese-descent".

have you tried telling Cletus from Alligator Nose, Mississippi that you are not black?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...societies that cover their women's faces, and want to continue that practice in Canada, will not allow you to bring your values to their countries..."

So true. Turks in Germany i. e. demanded to be allowed to built mosques there and were allowed to do it... so, now go and try to build a catholic church in Istanbul and see what happens...

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
The United States of America started as a melting pot but it's now more like a sancocho. There is a common sauce that takes from all the ingredients but you can also taste the individual ingredients separately.

There are the common values we all share and those are the most important things, freedom and all that, but we can still notice and even celebrate our differences. I don't think it makes the US any weaker or its citizens less patriotic.

After I wrote my post yesterday, I was thinking more of a gumbo, but sancocho works nicely. :glasses:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This and other posts above are not a subject for this thread!

I'm afraid to post..... Grizelda will get me and eat me for dinner.

You're all saying it for me....

Love the sancocho idea - or gumbo.

Sigh.................. the targeted poster:surprised

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
BTW, I left Canada over this and other issues...... was welcomed in the US..... and now carry RD residency

I was starting to feel like foreigner........ and I'm a native Cdn (no not Iroquois, or Huron)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
BTW, I left Canada over this and other issues...... was welcomed in the US..... and now carry RD residency

I was starting to feel like foreigner........ and I'm a native Cdn (no not Iroquois, or Huron)
It's getting harder to figure out where to go when the volcano blows...

[video=youtube;wSNxu_405Mk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSNxu_405Mk[/video]

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Well then you are not native Cdn are you? You and/or your relatives came from some other country and you had the freedom and choice to keep your traditions or not. What is a true Canadian tradition anyway that did not come from some other country? Did we ask or follow our true Native Canadians traditions? Yes? No? Or did we push them in a part of Canada so far and cold where we don't have to look at them?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Born there is a native
Aboriginal might what you're thinking of.....Inuits, et all

Thats another Cdn beauty.... they compensated the Inuit $1B for confiscated lands.... the negotiatior ( Inuit) took 10 %

Remember the shootings at Ipperwash? The Indians wanted their land back.... the gov't had put army barracks on it.
Or Okra ?

They shot people over it.....say nothing about the FLQ, who also murdered.

Pete Trudeau not only stuck to his guns.... he put them on the street

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Born there is a native
Aboriginal might what you're thinking of.....Inuits, et all

Thats another Cdn beauty.... they compensated the Inuit $1B for confiscated lands.... the negotiatior ( Inuit) took 10 %

Remember the shootings at Ipperwash? The Indians wanted their land back.... the gov't had put army barracks on it.
Or Okra ?

They shot people over it.....say nothing about the FLQ, who also murdered.

Pete Trudeau not only stuck to his guns.... he put them on the street

Just to be clear, that's OKA.
Not trying to nag, just keeping the record clean.:classic:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
are people being fussy now about being called a native? and a variety of synonyms? what is wrong with that? it's not a bloody spit in the face! i am native to poland. a local there. well, maybe not so much anymore. autochthon. call me aborigine, even, i'm fine with that as well. it is a dumb mind that adds a pejorative meaning to those words.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
That's is exactly the difference between Canada and the USA. In Canada you are not forced to BE WHAT YOU ARE NOT and as in any CIVILIZED SOCIETY the rights of people with different cultures ARE RESPECTED and as a NEW CANADIAN your rights are protected as well. Canada is on the forefront of RESPECT for every Culture, religion and nationality that resides in its borders, Canada is the Future of how mankind will live. Long live Canada a truly 1st world country! The weather sucks but hey perfection is not normal eh.....

As I catch up and read through the posts on this thread, I saw the above and said to myself, "Whaaaatttttt????" THEN I saw the post date of April 1. It's nice to know that April Fool's day is alive and well... and living in Canada. LOL

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
It's getting harder to figure out where to go when the volcano blows...

[video=youtube;wSNxu_405Mk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSNxu_405Mk[/video]

FINALLY.... SOMETHING on this thread that actually makes SENSE!!! Thanks CB... put a smile on my white, American, Multi-W.European descendent, face this morning!!!!!

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
You might have given just the reason why United States of America is losing its strengths. Correct me if I am wrong because I don't...

I do feel that the more diversity the strongest America is, that is what makes America strong!
A few weeks ago I was on vacation in Peru with 2 of my grandchildren; Marcos, 8 years old was deep in thought and of course I asked him..."Dadydad", he said, "Isn't neat that we are not from here so we always have a place to go back?"

I think is just an accident that we are borne here or there, nothing to be proud of...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I do feel that the more diversity the strongest America is, that is what makes America strong!
I couldn't disagree more.

I think you have it backwards.

FREEDOM is what makes America strong.

It is freedom that ATTRACTS the diversity.