oscar de la renta is dead

Aug 6, 2006
So I guess we always get everything right?

To many Dominicans, Nueva Yol is the city or the entire country.
Some know that there is a New York State. So why should there not be a Connecticut City as well?

I bet Americans are as bad or worse at naming the provinces of China as Dominicans are at naming the States of the USA.

Geography is not a strong forte in either country.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You can watch people get off an airplane in Montreal or Toronto in July with skis...

Canada is the "frozen North" to many Americans

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I had the pleasure of meeting him in my previous job. Always had a smile and a kind word for everyone. RIP Don Oscar.

Aug 6, 2006
RIP

I was a big fan. Top designer.

=================================================
Most of his designs were elegant, and looked good on normal women. I see ads in the New Yorker and other magazines in which the models look like extraterrestrials and the clothes look like stuff fashioned from the Goodwill Paca discard pile.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
=================================================
Most of his designs were elegant, and looked good on normal women. I see ads in the New Yorker and other magazines in which the models look like extraterrestrials and the clothes look like stuff fashioned from the Goodwill Paca discard pile.

He definitely brought back GLAMOUR, feminine and colorful style back into Fashion (which is fashion should be all about, for everyday stuff there is Pret-a-porter). Loved him!!!

He was a great ambassador for the DR.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Born in the Dominican Republic in 1932, de la Renta left home at 18 to study painting in Madrid. It was there he developed a love of fashion design and began an apprenticeship with Crist?bal Balenciaga, who became his mentor, and then, landed a job with Lanvin in Paris. Soon after, he moved to New York City.

"When I first arrived here in 1963, all the names on clothes were the name of [the store]," he told Gotham magazine last year. "You made your clothes, you sold them to the store, and they quickly removed the label and put the label of the store. If it was a dress at Saks Fifth Avenue, the label was Saks Fifth Avenue. Bergdorf Goodman was Bergdorf Goodman. But it was a time of transition."

In 1965, the designer launched his own label, and soon caught the eye of former first lady Jacqueline Kennedy. Other first ladies including Nancy Reagan and Hillary Clinton would follow suit, as well as a bevy of A-list stars, from Amy Adams to Sandra Bullock to Jessica Biel and countless others.

He also launched a successful bridal line, and most recently, designed Amal Clooney's wedding gown.

"George and I wanted a wedding that was romantic and elegant, and I can't imagine anyone more able than Oscar to capture this mood in a dress," she told Vogue last month. "Meeting him made the design process all the more magical, as he is so warm and such a gentleman."

The fashion designer is survived by his wife, Annette, and a son, Moises, as well as stepchildren and step-grandchildren.

De la Renta, who won a bevy of fashion awards in his lifetime, including two Council of Fashion Designers Designer of the Year Awards, a CFDA Lifetime Achievement Award and two COTY Awards, always appreciated every moment of his high-profile life.

"A huge mistake we make is forgetting that one day we will die. We think that we are going to live forever. I always say life is a little like a garden. There is a time to plant, then a time you have to weed. Just think about people you've deeply cared for. And then think of the people you wish you'd spent more time with," he told Gotham. "I always say this: Live, love and laugh."

Oscar de la Renta, Iconic Fashion Designer, Dies at 82 - ABC News

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
Grace, refinement, elegance; words for both his creations, as well as the man himself. A true gentleman. And a fine example of Dominican artistry and gentility.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
440_108___oscar_de_la_renta___02.jpg

Oscar de la Renta a fashion icon

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
As some have said a true legend. To describe him in one word..class.