Overnight Trips From Punta Cana to Santo Domingo??

fabekid

Jun 29, 2007
drloca, do you have a phone# for that bus company, if you do can u post it so that i can call and get some info for sascha. thanks

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-directions/65280-traveling-santiago-punta-cana.html#post545915
Metro goes to Santiago and Puerto Plata (from Santo Domingo) only.

Neither Caribe Tours nor Metro has service to the East (syndicate protected routes).

You need to take Expreso Bavaro from Maximo Gomez or Parque Enriquillo bus station, or take Sichoprola to Higuey from Parque Enriquillo and connect to Sitrabapu to Bavaro in Higuey (calle Libertad).

http://www.dr1.com/forums/central/63998-santiago-punta-cana.html#post532837
There is BAVARO EXPRESS that runs to Higuey from bus terminal at Friusa in Bavaro, on the hour up to 7pm, if I am not mistaken. Costs 90 pesos, and leaves you directly in front of the Higuey-Santo Domingo bus terminal (you just cross the street). This terminal is right in front of the Basilica. On the return, the Santo Domingo - Higuey bus leaves you in front of the Bavaro terminal in Higuey on Calle Libertad. The last Expreso bus from Higuey to SDQ leaves at 7pm, and the last bus leaves at 8.30.

You need tickets for Expreso Higuey-SDQ and they are sold in front of the bus from a person called "cobrador". He's easy to recognize, with a stack of bills in his hand. Expreso costs RD$155. Expresos leave on the hour (always) lots at half hour, and many in between. Expresos fill up fast. Don't get on the bus that the "cobrador" shouts "San Pedro" or "San Pedro atras", that one does not get to the capital. Expresos have AC at full and show movies.

"Calientes" are rarely warm, right now almost all "caliente" buses have AC on and many even show movies (come worst case, you'll get to listen to some bachata, merengue or Christian gospel, at driver's liking). Calientes cost RD$135, or RD$140 respectively if they show a movie. The ticket is paid to "cobrador" directly on the bus, after it departs.

Dollars accepted at the rate of 1 USD = 30 RDP.

The difference between "Expreso" and "caliente" is that caliente has a stop in La Romana and 5 stops in San Pedro, whereas Expreso only has 2 stops in San Pedro. The time difference is about 5-10 minutes at most. "Calientes" sometimes divert via Juan Dolio.

On return you can take the bus from Parque Enriquillo, the words HIGUEY are large and printed on the walls of the terminal. Has an AC'd waiting room. Bavaro buses leave from directly in front of the Higuey terminal, but they do not enter the terminal. Last bus for Higuey leaves at 7pm, last Expreso at 6pm.

WORD OF CAUTION: SICHOPROLA buses (the syndicate that operates Higuey-SDQ route) leave when they fill up OR on their designated schedule, whatever comes first, so the last bus leaving at 8.30pm may be long gone by that time. This is true for both terminals in Huguey and in Santo Domingo.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Rocky, Apostropheman, Fabekid and DRLOCA: you guys are awesome!!

Im thinking that our best bet is to take a taxi to the Higuey bus terminal from our resort and then take the Bavaro Express to SD. Does that drop us off near the airport or in the heart of the city? We dont know where we'll be staying yet but we definitely want to be where the action is so does anyone know if the SD drop off/bus terminal is walking distance to the good restaurants and nightlife or would we have to take another taxi?

Sascha :)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Sascha, the Bavaro Express leaves from Bavaro NOT Higuey in Friusa, be sure you tell the taxi driver that because if he drives you all the way to Higuey, it will cost you $$$$ and the bus departing from there is NOT express.
Also, try get there approx 30 mins before departure as the buses tend to fill up pretty fast and leave right on time. You will arrive at Maximo Gomez bus station in SDQ and there are always taxis in the vicinty to get you to your next stop.

Best of luck and have a great trip.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
drloca...thanks so much!! we definitely dont want to make that mistake. ok...just so im straight on this...we take a taxi from our resort to the bavaro bus terminal, take the bavaro express to SD (the maximo gomez stn) and take a taxi from there. excellent! do we have to change buses at all on this route? you're a rock star!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
drloca...thanks so much!! we definitely dont want to make that mistake. ok...just so im straight on this...we take a taxi from our resort to the bavaro bus terminal, take the bavaro express to SD (the maximo gomez stn) and take a taxi from there. excellent! do we have to change buses at all on this route? you're a rock star!

Noooo,dont change buses... you will go directly to SDQ on the Express bus...you got it!

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
ok...sorry to be a pain guys but im hoping someone can set me straight just in case ive got things all wrong. if my friend and i are heading from PC to SD by land the best route is...

- take a taxi from our resort to the bus stn at friusa in bavaro
- take an express bus to higuey
- from higuey get off the bus and take another bus that says "higuey-santo domingo"
- that bus will then take us to SD and drop us off at the maximo gomez bus station where we can take a taxi to our hotel

im sure im missing something or i may have things all wrong but if anyone can confirm that this is probably the best route, i would really appreciate it. thanks again to everyone who posted a reply...im sure getting to SD will be just as great an adventure as exploring SD itself!

cheers everyone and TGIF!

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
drloca...looks like i was too quick on the draw :( my post above is probably incorrect then. from what you've said, i would eliminate the middle 2 steps....right?

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
hi again.

just wondering if anyone knows if the bavaro express leaves SD (to bavaro) at the same times that it leaves bavaro for SD? if anyone knows this or if anyone knows where i can get a bus schedule, please let me know. i would really appreciate it. thanks!! ;)

Feb 7, 2007
ok...sorry to be a pain guys but im hoping someone can set me straight just in case ive got things all wrong. if my friend and i are heading from PC to SD by land the best route is...

- take a taxi from our resort to the bus stn at friusa in bavaro
RIGHT

THE NEXT IS OPTION NUMBER TWO (#2)
- take an express bus to higuey
- from higuey get off the bus and take another bus that says "higuey-santo domingo"
- that bus will then take us to SD and drop us off at PARQUE ENRIQUILLO station where we can take a taxi to our hotel
RIGHT

AND THIS IS OPTION NUMBER ONE (#1) - PREFERRED THAT YOU DO IT THIS WAY!!!!
- From Friusa take express bus to Santo Domingo, it says Expreso Santo Domingo - Bavaro, or Expreso Ejecutivo Sitrabapu. The buses are big buses and now they have Comil/Volkswagen brand type on the route.
The buses will be either market Sichoprola or Sitrabapu, as it is a joint route between the two companies. The express bus to Santo Domingo will always be parked to the LEFT (you facing the terminal) and it leaves at 7am, 10am, 2pm and 4pm . If in doubt ask "Guagua pa' Santo Domingo?". Also, this bus leaves you at Maximo Gomex street and from there you can take a taxi to anywhere you need in Santo Domingo.

im sure im missing something or i may have things all wrong but if anyone can confirm that this is probably the best route, i would really appreciate it. thanks again to everyone who posted a reply...im sure getting to SD will be just as great an adventure as exploring SD itself!

cheers everyone and TGIF!

So do it with Expreso Santo Domingo - Bavaro...
If you do not know the system well and are confused, DO NOT do it via Higuey (option number 2)

Last edited:

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Rubio_Higuey...YOU'RE AWESOME!

Thanks for the clear instructions. As you can tell from my posts, really basic explantions were best for me ;) Really appreciate your help. Now that Ive got the directions...I cant wait to have a great time in SD!

Cheers again to everyone who posted!

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
One last question...Does the Express bus from SD to Punta Cana leave at the same times as the buses from PC to SD? For example 7am, 10am, 2pm and 4pm daily? We just want to make sure we're at the bus terminal in time to catch it back to PC. If anyone knows the answer or knows where I can find the schedule, let me know :) THX!!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
As explained above, the best way to get to Santo Domingo from the east (a four-hour trip) is to take the Expreso Bavaro that departs Friusa-Bavaro (Tel 809 552-1463) at 7am, 10am, 2pm and 4pm. This bus makes a stopover to pick up passengers at the Veron stop at 7:15am, 10:15am, 2:15pm and 4:15pm. Tickets are RD$270, and there is a short stop in La Romana. The bus takes you to the Sitrabapu-Sichoprola terminal at Calle Juan Sanchez Ramirez 31, near the intersection with Maximo Gomez Avenue (Gazcue), Tel 809 682-9670. From Santo Domingo-East, the buses leave at 7, 10, 2 and 4 pm to Veron and Friusa, with an extra daily departure at 2:55pm making a bus stop at Punta Cana International Airport. Seating is first come, first served. Allow at least half an hour before departure time. Take note that on Sundays and holidays, these buses fill up fast.

If you will be traveling on a holiday or Sunday, I recommend you catch the bus at the Friusa stop, because the Veron bus may have filled up at Friusa. The Veron stop would be closer for hotels in the Cabeza de Toro-Punta Cana area.

If you will be traveling on a week day, to be sure, just plan on taking the earlier bus, so if it is full you can take the next one.

Remember you can always take the bus to Higuey, and transfer from there. That one is slower, though, because it makes plenty of stops on the way to Santo Domingo. In Santo Domingo, you get off at the first stop and take a taxi to your hotel.

Feb 7, 2007
Remember you can always take the bus to Higuey, and transfer from there. That one is slower, though, because it makes plenty of stops on the way to Santo Domingo. In Santo Domingo, you get off at the first stop and take a taxi to your hotel.

Not exactly, Dolores... Higuey0Sto Domingo makes stops only in La Romana and San Pedro de Macoris (regular bus) and Express busses Higuey0Sto Domingo (leave every 30 minutes) makes stop in SP de Macoris only ocassionally if somebody wants to get off... but mostly is non-stop.

And DO NOT get off on the first stop under any circumstances - the first stop is Charlie and newcomer better don't get off there - too dangerous, and taxis are spotty there... you can get off at Parque Enriquillo (last stop) where taxis are reliable and right next to the bus.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
OK Im straight with the directions from PC to SD ;) but to put things in simpler terms for me...

Does the Expreso bus from SD to PC also run at 7am, 10am, 2pm and 4pm daily?? My girl friend and I will be looking to take the Expreso Bavaro each way to get to and from our destinations faster and we'll definitely be getting off at Parque Enriquillo and taking a taxi from there.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
OK Im straight with the directions from PC to SD ;) but to put things in simpler terms for me...

Does the Expreso bus from SD to PC also run at 7am, 10am, 2pm and 4pm daily?? My girl friend and I will be looking to take the Expreso Bavaro each way to get to and from our destinations faster and we'll definitely be getting off at Parque Enriquillo and taking a taxi from there.

The service is daily.

As far as the finals top reda well what is written above

bus Expreso Bavaro - Santo Domingo => final stop Maximo Gomez
bus Expreso Higuey - Santo Domingo => final stop Parque Enriquillo

Anyhow, you're best bet is to take taxi from the final stop, because the taxi drivers are (usually) known to the bus company.