Packing Bananas For Export

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
[video=youtube;6sbPzPrh97Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sbPzPrh97Q[/video]

This is a "generic" video. The packing plant was in Costa Rica, but it could have just as well been in the Dominican Republic or any other country that exports bananas. The same procedures are used in all.

Aug 21, 2007
I don't give a hoot about bananas, but Ken, we haven't heard from you in awhile.....at least I haven't noticed you posting. Was just getting worried...... Glad to see you here on dr1.

Lindsey

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Did the United Fruit Company not export bananas back in past Sosua?

Right from La Roca.
united-fruit-logo.jpg

Sos?a before 1939 | Sos?a Virtual Museum

At the beginning of the 20th Century, the United Fruit Company established a banana plantation in the sparsely populated land surrounding Sos?a. Bananas were a highly prized commodity in the United States, and so big plantations cropped up in several tropical countries. The United Fruit Company plantation had over 1.5 million banana trees, and in the year 1900 they exported 230,000 bunches to the United States alone. A private rail system to transport bananas from the plantations to Sos?a beach contributed to the development of the banana industry and to the colonization of the region. Many people moved to this region to work on the banana plantations and the region flourished. As many as 20 houses, several larger buildings, electricity and running water was available. The banana export initially grew, reaching 640,000 bunches in 1907. As many as 17 vessels per year came to Sos?a Bay to load bananas that arrived in Sos?a. These were then loaded onto barges at the port that transported the bananas to the carrier vessels. Remains of the port are still seen at the east side of Sos?a beach, named by the settlers? children Los Pilotillos.
 However, several years of bad weather and inappropriate soil and water conditions caused exports to decline to 400,000 bunches in 1911. United Fruit later closed the Sos?a banana operations in 1916.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't give a hoot about bananas, but Ken, we haven't heard from you in awhile.....at least I haven't noticed you posting. Was just getting worried...... Glad to see you here on dr1.

Lindsey

Hi Lindsey, no need to worry. Just a short leave of absence.