Parents of Asthmatic children/ Absurd medical advice!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
As La Profe has noted, "Caritas" is run by the Catholic Church here in the DR and not from abroad so they should be found throughout the island.

Ok well i will look into it for sure as if there is one nearby it could really help this poor little girl.

I am pleased to report the Chihuahua has gone!! Nearly took it myself but in was saved, just hope someone else has not bought it from them for their child with asthma. :ermm:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not have asthma but ever since i moved to DR i have breathing issues. at night my nose is blocked and i have to use nasal drops to relieve congestion.
since it has been going on for a while my dominican mother in law insisted i visit otorrinolaringologo.
the surgery was no bigger than a bathroom with giant AC unit right above the chair for the patient. no, she will not switch it off, it's hot. right. my fingers went blue in less than a minute. she started examining me and then told me she needs to spray my throat with something so she can see better. god help me, the stuff was like acid! i immediately started vomiting to the sink that was next to me and she laughed at my reaction. laughed. darn, i should have vomited on her.
the diagnosis was that my throat is burnt with stomach acids (damn right, she did that!) after i have had heartburn for years (never had one in my life).
and we had to pay few thousand pesos for that visit. supposedly that was because the cost the "exam". next time i'll have totologo asking me to pay extra for putting a finger in...

speaking of ginecologo. very fussy at turning off the AC for the duration of my visit. well, why don't you try to point YOUR naked butt at the stream of the arctic air coming out if that thing?
now i only visit a doctor when i have a cold and need certificado for work.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
My daughter had eczema and asthma when she was little. She had one ear infection after another (back to back prescriptions of "banana medicine" Amoxocillin) with a nagging cough and wheezing all through childhood. Finally she went on Singulair, which was a new drug at the time and she stopped coughing! She also had Ventolin, which was useless in my opinion but this is now how all chronic nagging coughs are now treated. She outgrew the serious asthma but she still has eczema (another immune problem). Quite severe on her hands. We've tried everything. Eliminating cow's milk, drinking soy, drinking goat's milk, goat's cheese. It went away in Iran so we went on full fat yoghurt and full fat milk to see if that would work. We've got olive oil soap, calendula soap. Steroids are the only thing that works. She's very allergic to cats but not so much to dogs. There's a lot of research on family pets and allergies and I gather that the verdict isn't in yet. Some children develop some immunity when exposed to the family pet. Check out Pubmed and you'll see that it's widely researched. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12911425?log$=activity
I would not have a dog or cat myself and no carpeting. In the DR, I would be concerned about mold and mildew, that has to be a problem for allergy sufferers. I do think many children improve with time and outgrow some of the asthma. There's a lot of pollution on the street with motoconchos and some of the cars, that can't be good.

Last edited:
May 31, 2005
Margaret,

why do you call Amoxocillin 'banana medicine"? Does this medicine come from bananas?

I was also prescribed this for an ear infection.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Margaret,

why do you call Amoxocillin 'banana medicine"? Does this medicine come from bananas?

I was also prescribed this for an ear infection.

I called it banana medicine because the liquid form that my daughter practically grew up on was banana-flavoured and her pediatrician used to call it that for her benefit. It's one of the most commonly prescribed antibiotics. MedlinePlus Drug Information: Amoxicillin

Many will say it's over prescribed. Now they are starting to realize that if parents hold off giving their kids antibiotics for awhile many ear infections will go away on their own. My kid usually had 2 to 4 prescriptions every winter. I felt sometimes that it wasn't effective on her. It's very hard to wait and see when fevers shoot up in the middle of night and you are imagining convulsions and ruptured eardrums. :cheeky:

Thanks for the tip on the shea butter, Thandie!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I called it banana medicine because the liquid form that my daughter practically grew up on was banana-flavoured and her pediatrician used to call it that for her benefit. It's one of the most commonly prescribed antibiotics. MedlinePlus Drug Information: Amoxicillin

Many will say it's over prescribed. Now they are starting to realize that if parents hold off giving their kids antibiotics for awhile many ear infections will go away on their own. My kid usually had 2 to 4 prescriptions every winter. I felt sometimes that it wasn't effective on her. It's very hard to wait and see when fevers shoot up in the middle of night and you are imagining convulsions and ruptured eardrums. :cheeky:

Thanks for the tip on the shea butter, Thandie!

Yes indeed, here in the DR and the States. Being a young parent what would a person expect one to do? Our daughter typically up until last year were on antibiotics 4 to 6 times a year. Fortunately we have found a remedy, in addition to the daily vitamin they get they also get a bi monthly booster and a lot of fresh squeezed oj every day.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Yes indeed, here in the DR and the States. Being a young parent what would a person expect one to do? Our daughter typically up until last year were on antibiotics 4 to 6 times a year. Fortunately we have found a remedy, in addition to the daily vitamin they get they also get a bi monthly booster and a lot of fresh squeezed oj every day.
That's great you found a remedy. What is the bi monthly booster?