Parsnips/chiriva/pastinaca

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Pola is the supermarket in La Sirena, and there are also several Polas in their own right - including one on Ave. Sarasota in Bella Vista, the one juanita mentioned on Lope de Vega with Gustavo Mej?a Ricart in Naco and one in Arroyo Hondo.

juanita - is this something they always sell? I wouldn't make a trip to the capital without knowing for sure that they are definitely selling it there and now.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
When i know where it is I will call them and make sure they have the parsnips as i do not want to make a wild goose chase either. When am sure they are there will send a duende to buy every parsnip in sight and will distribute throughout dr!!!

Mat

Reactions: drloca

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I always see them...I'll stop at lunch time, buy a pack and post the picture so we are sure it's the right veg!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Sorry folks it's not the right veg... I tasted it and it's more like a soft radish and now that I search...there is a white radish... So now it makes me wonder what veg I used in my stew.... Sorry if I had you drooling there for a while!
Nabo from Pola:
4497928510_780fca8245.jpg

Radish:
DaikonRadish.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, I've bought those - the taste and texture is something between a radish and a turnip, not parsniplike in the least.

juanita - I thought you had taken a photo or was that taken from the www based on what you thought you'd seen?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
juanita - I thought you had taken a photo or was that taken from the www based on what you thought you'd seen?
Yes based on what I thought they looked like! Sorry

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Rather than invade the other thread which mentions these desirable white vegetables called parsnips (sshhhhhhhhhh!), I do have seeds from Suttons in the UK which are still in date and will have another attempt at growing same.

If successful, which we won't know for a while, I will keep very quiet so I do not get parsnip-napped!!!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I bet you a jam tart I can raise parsnips in the D.R.

I just need to find the opposite of a greenhouse and some parsnip seeds - or better still some parsnips a bit past their sell by date.

This could make me famous - the parsnip whisperer....

I shall report back presently.....

This is Pedrochemicals post from other thread.

I had parsnip seeds thanks to Whirley bird. Planted, nurtured, sang to them, watered.
One day gardener said (in Creole as is haitian), here are your parsnips. They were cucumbers!!!! As about as similar to parsnips as giant white radishes!!! You are on PC. Get us them parsnips and you will get a million rep points!!!

mattie

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I am bringing parsnips to the Dr in 2 weeks

I bet you a jam tart I can raise parsnips in the D.R.

I just need to find the opposite of a greenhouse and some parsnip seeds - or better still some parsnips a bit past their sell by date.

This could make me famous - the parsnip whisperer....

I shall report back presently.....

This is Pedrochemicals post from other thread.

I had parsnip seeds thanks to Whirley bird. Planted, nurtured, sang to them, watered.
One day gardener said (in Creole as is haitian), here are your parsnips. They were cucumbers!!!! As about as similar to parsnips as giant white radishes!!! You are on PC. Get us them parsnips and you will get a million rep points!!!

mattie

I am flying back to Sosua after my mountain climbing edition in egypt.

Seriously though will be bringing what I said and if you can grow these then i will give you a whole bag...but I need references...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Parnips seem to be a total 'no no' here. We have tried growing them from seed in both the North and the South without any success whatsoever. Just maybe they would grow in the cooler areas of Jarabacoa or Constanza but they really need a frost to make them right. If you find some, however, please let me know as we would 'die' for a parsnip here!!!

I am working on it WB but not sure when to seed them :ermm:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Damn damn damn, should have read the whole thread first...I am trying to attempt to grow parsnips but no guarantee, actually...I think I might not work...:bunny: