Part 2 Fence construction

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gee, no reason to attack chip. he is one of the kindest and most polite people on dr1 and he had only the best of intentions.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
And.... to keep people out of your property this is the cheapest Dominican way to build a fence.

281970_672642743031_164007487_34339744_5060721_n.jpg

JJ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And.... to keep people out of your property this is the cheapest Dominican way to build a fence.

281970_672642743031_164007487_34339744_5060721_n.jpg

JJ

Our property in Ocoa came with one of those fences JJ - but they got fancy on us and painted the top 5-6" of each stick with white paint :p

AE

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
I've read a number of these posts and it's sad to see how they seem to degenerate . A few suggestions if I may. Block wall construction is not difficult in principle....1. good foundation, level and deep enough for vertical load. 2. stagger block 3. add vertical rebar ( into footing every several feet 4. depending on height add metal block mesh ( steel) every four feet of vertical height. These are basic steps for a sound wall, that said also expect crack in wall eventually and if the wall is properly constructed, it will cost a lot of money in time and material. good luck and I might add wood would probably be a better choice depending on what the wall is to be used to achieve.

Ladder wire is rarely used here as columns and vigas (lintel/horizontal beams) are essential in walls/fences due to seismic conditions. Wood, especially treated wood, is very expensive here and would probably be the last choice unless some condition exists to balance out the cost, like someone gives you the wood, for example. Also, since wood is so rarely used, most construction folks do a very poor job of working with it. Quite the opposite of North America, but when in Rome, etc., etc.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Yea Chip was trying to help so why are you a bonehead?

What you think you just get to come on dr1 and pick everyones brain? You owe him an apology. I would ask everyone not to help you in the future if you can't bring yourself to a simple apology. Chip is an expert especially with a simple wall. You would be wise to listen to him.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Our property in Ocoa came with one of those fences JJ - but they got fancy on us and painted the top 5-6" of each stick with white paint :p

AE

I'm trying to find pictures of a different fence common used in the northeast of DR called "Empalisa" made of Cambron tree branches to keep goats and chickens form going out of the property. In the area of DR where my family is original from they plant a tree calle Malla to build their fences.

Let's see if I find it for tomorrow, I have to go to work, will be back @ 1 in the morning.

JJ

Nov 10, 2010
I've read a number of these posts and it's sad to see how they seem to degenerate . A few suggestions if I may. Block wall construction is not difficult in principle....1. good foundation, level and deep enough for vertical load. 2. stagger block 3. add vertical rebar ( into footing every several feet 4. depending on height add metal block mesh ( steel) every four feet of vertical height. These are basic steps for a sound wall, that said also expect crack in wall eventually and if the wall is properly constructed, it will cost a lot of money in time and material. good luck and I might add wood would probably be a better choice depending on what the wall is to be used to achieve.

greta reply, thank you.
I agree they can degenerate, all i did was ask a question and then i have people determining what they think i should know. I really dont care for this kind of responder. Others have said 'what you think you can pick pick our brains... etc" to which i reply yes, thats why this site exists as a medium to share information. I just asked a question and you sir along with many others were very helpful
cheers

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
greta reply, thank you.
I agree they can degenerate, all i did was ask a question and then i have people determining what they think i should know. I really dont care for this kind of responder. Others have said 'what you think you can pick pick our brains... etc" to which i reply yes, thats why this site exists as a medium to share information. I just asked a question and you sir along with many others were very helpful
cheers
It is my pleasure my friend but I don't think anything said was meant to hurt you on a personal level, read the posts and draw what information you can.