Passenger bus accident Autovia del Coral

Feb 7, 2007
Genesis Santana Acosta (+ 22), was a daughter of my former client ... :(
She spoke with her father just minutes before the accident telling him to go pick her up at the bus terminal.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Genesis Santana Acosta (+ 22), was a daughter of my former client ... :(
She spoke with her father just minutes before the accident telling him to go pick her up at the bus terminal.
Was she a student of architecture? Mr C met her mother just a couple of days ago. We were at the opening of his joint photo exhibition at the Altagracia museum last night and it was evident the city is in mourning.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Routinely criss cross the highway

Witness reports are saying that the truck did not have an exploded tire. According to the witness who was traveling on the bus the truck was trying to cross the highway from one side into another ( on an unofficial + crossing) and did nto see the approaching bus. The exact cause of the accident is not still clear, there are varying reports on the cause.

This is very sad my condolences to the families and friends to all those affected. This should not have happened.

The accident location is familiar to PJT and would suggest the truck may have been deliberately crossing the highway. The highway at this location was constructed through cane fields owned and operated by Central Romana. The highway severed various cane field service roads. Workers and work vehicles routinely criss cross the highway at many locations along its passage to link to the service roads, just observe the tire tracks of cane field mud & dust on the asphalt at crossing locations.

Unfortunately, we may never know the exact cause and unable to obtain first hand information, the operator of the truck has passed on, a result of the accident. RIP

Regards,

PJT

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is very sad my condolences to the families and friends to all those affected. This should not have happened.

The accident location is familiar to PJT and would suggest the truck may have been deliberately crossing the highway. The highway at this location was constructed through cane fields owned and operated by Central Romana. The highway severed various cane field service roads. Workers and work vehicles routinely criss cross the highway at many locations along its passage to link to the service roads, just observe the tire tracks of cane field mud & dust on the asphalt at crossing locations.

Unfortunately, we may never know the exact cause and unable to obtain first hand information, the operator of the truck has passed on, a result of the accident. RIP

Regards,

PJT

my condolences to all the parties concerned. there is never an upside to these events. it is instinctive for me to go on a rampage about the total unpreparedness of the average Dominican for the chore of driving a vehicle, but i will reserve my venom on this occasion.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
my condolences to all the parties concerned. there is never an upside to these events. it is instinctive for me to go on a rampage about the total unpreparedness of the average Dominican for the chore of driving a vehicle, but i will reserve my venom on this occasion.

the crossing of the highway should be hindered at all service road locations. those Trucks should enter the highway, drive to the next "U-Turn Point" and from there come back to their other side service road connection. i saw it several times them crossing a highway where transit runs fast, while themselves in their old and not safe truck cross very slow to pass the middle section of the highway which is not prepared/meant to be used for crossing traffick.

my condolences to the poor families of the Bus Passengers.

Mike

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the crossing of the highway should be hindered at all service road locations. those Trucks should enter the highway, drive to the next "U-Turn Point" and from there come back to their other side service road connection. i saw it several times them crossing a highway where transit runs fast, while themselves in their old and not safe truck cross very slow to pass the middle section of the highway which is not prepared/meant to be used for crossing traffick.

Mike

sadly , Mike, the rank and file guy here does not have the foresight to contemplate what constitutes a dangerous situation. there seems not to be that capacity in the minds of the average Dominican to ask the question 'what if'? they leave no margins for error, so that if things do not function perfectly, disaster is the inevitable result. i have never been to the area in question, but i am willing to bet that there is a safe way to cross the highway, but that it entails driving a longer distance. having seen motonchos driving the wrong way on a divided highway to save driving 20 yards, the right way. i generally chalk these things up to the head-scratcher tendencies of the average guy here.

heck!! i did go on a rampage!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you are right, hence the points where the service roads hit the highway need some preparations to be done so traffick can not cross there, so they just can enter the highway but not cross. as you said, the average driver does not have the mind/traffick experience/traffick education to forsee the dangers of such situations, hence the Highway's mid section has to be prepared to force the Campesinos from the sideroads and service roads to do the right thing. it is not just the trucks from Central La Romana, it is also the many chicharras/ lil trucks from people living there in the areas off the highway, who cross at all points when entering/leaving their area, and as we all know do many of those campesino fruit trucks not even have the proper lights or any lights so the ongoing traffick on the highway could even see them in the dark.
not so many years back the vast mayority of vehicles on PC roads had inapropriate to non existing lights working on their vehicles, much less lighjts on the campesino vehicles. there are traffick educational and highway correctional actions needed during the times of change on the formerly used to traffick behaviors.

hopefully all the victims now at the hospitals will receive proper care and will survive.

Mike

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002

Mike

Mike, you are talking the ideal. Driving habits will not change. Even if the government is inclined to construct median barriers along the highway to obstruct crossings and prevent accidents the public will illegally remove the barriers at locations convenient to them to make crossings. The highway intruded on them so they are determined to intrude on the highway.

You can forget and not even think of preventative enforcement. The authorities are only capable operating their emergency lights in empty stationary vehicles at or near the toll plazas, the extent of their interventions.

The driving public does what is wishes, driving anarchy, knowing authority is content with the satus-quo.

Regards,

PJT

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is an old battle of who's got the bigger one. i have seen it many times. unwritten rule of the bigger vehicle always has the right of way. and i have seen huge trucks and buses making U turns in whatever place they see fit. because hell, i am big, you are small and besides, f**k you, that's why.

we are talking two fairly large vehicles here. no way the driver of each could not see the other coming. and each thought the other one should stop and give way...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
this is an old battle of who's got the bigger one. i have seen it many times. unwritten rule of the bigger vehicle always has the right of way. and i have seen huge trucks and buses making U turns in whatever place they see fit. because hell, i am big, you are small and besides, f**k you, that's why.

we are talking two fairly large vehicles here. no way the driver of each could not see the other coming. and each thought the other one should stop and give way...

this is exactly why there are no protections in this country for pedestrians, because they do not have a vehicle, and, by Dominican thinking, they merit no consideration. in NYC, when the traffic light changes, you better make sure you have sufficient stopping distance to stop before the crosswalk. if the nose of your car is in the walk, it is 125 dollars fine, and 2 points. in some parts of California, a pedestrian only has to point to the crosswalk, and turning vehicles have to stop, with the fine for entering the crosswalk with a pedestrian in it is 150 dollars, and 3 points. in the DR, if you are in a crosswalk, and a vehicle is coming, you had better run. his is bigger than yours.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in poland the pedestrian on the marked crossing without traffic lights always has the right of way. on the other hand there are not that many marked crossing in DR...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
in poland the pedestrian on the marked crossing without traffic lights always has the right of way. on the other hand there are not that many marked crossing in DR...

as i posted before, my buddies from the Port Authority police would get their daily quota of traffic summonses in Washington Heights before noon. the greatest percentage was given for crosswalk violation. they could never gets used to the idea that the pedestrian has the right of way. similarly, another police officer friend tells me that the cops in north New Jersey are having a field day ticketing Dominicans for excessive noise from their car radios. they do the same thing they do here; blast everybody with their car stereos. only problem, in NJ it is illegal!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am not sure i could ever drive in poland. it is not even allowed to use the horn in some places. can you imagine life with no bocina?

in any case, the accident... clearly both sides are to be blamed. i understand the truck was crossing the highway but how fast was the bus driver going? he should have been able to see the truck and stop...

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Horrible, my condolences. So sad to see the innocent die like this...
Maybe, just maybe, one day in the next 1or 200 years, or the millennium anniversary of Columbus arrival in 2492, they may actually penalize/prosecute/fine drivers for doing such dangerous events. I mean post signs and have a stiff fine or loss of driving rights just for crossing highways like this. This way even without causing loss of live they will feel it in the pocket book.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Horrible, my condolences. So sad to see the innocent die like this...
Maybe, just maybe, one day in the next 1or 200 years, or the millennium anniversary of Columbus arrival in 2492, they may actually penalize/prosecute/fine drivers for doing such dangerous events. I mean post signs and have a stiff fine or loss of driving rights just for crossing highways like this. This way even without causing loss of live they will feel it in the pocket book.

in NYC, it is a road traffic offense to blow your horn without an emergency reason. people just do not get ticketed for it because the cops cannot bother. in parts of the city, such as near schools, and hospitals, and public libraries, the fine for a first offense is 250 dollars, in places. this little matter of people blowing their horns 5 milliseconds after the light changes is a habit imported from third world countries. you go upstate of NYC and you never see such primitive behaviors.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
in NYC, it is a road traffic offense to blow your horn without an emergency reason. people just do not get ticketed for it because the cops cannot bother. in parts of the city, such as near schools, and hospitals, and public libraries, the fine for a first offense is 250 dollars, in places. this little matter of people blowing their horns 5 milliseconds after the light changes is a habit imported from third world countries. you go upstate of NYC and you never see such primitive behaviors.

The horn blowing fines here if enforced, and actually collected could correct the countries deficit in 2 years.... You honk your horn 5 milliseconds after a green light if North America be prepared for step one of "road rage" I know many gringos here that get all up tight when this happens.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they identified another victim: la nueva identificada es Yoledis del Pilar Encarnaci?n Carela, de 23.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The horn blowing fines here if enforced, and actually collected could correct the countries deficit in 2 years.... You honk your horn 5 milliseconds after a green light if North America be prepared for step one of "road rage" I know many gringos here that get all up tight when this happens.

i have seen guys go ballistic many times in NYC for that very reason.

Feb 7, 2007

DV8, if you are a bus driver, driving at 120 kmph on that highway... and even if you see some truck approaching to cross the highway, would you even consider contemplating to think that the truck driver would be so stupid as to cross the highway with oncoming traffic at full speed?

I know Mjr. Lebron at AMET, he is heading the investigation, in couple of days I will ask for some info.

Feb 7, 2007

Yes dear in Slovakia too... but let's not forget that it took LOOOOOOOONG time and strong enforcement with heavy fines to teach the drivers to yield to pedestrians on marked crossings.

Having said that, it does not mean that an oncoming traffic traveling at 100+ kmph has o yield to a chiripa truck that tries to illegally cross major freeway.