Passport Application Denied

A

Alltimegreat

I applied in person for a Dominican passport for my son at the Frankfurt consulate a few months ago. They accepted my payment and said it would take about six weeks to process.

Today I received a letter in the mail that the application has been denied. Supposedly because I am a naturalized DR citizen, my son must travel to Santo Domingo to obtain the passport despite being a citizen. (At least they're offering to refund my payment, but that's little consolation.)

I'm having trouble accepting that there is no way to complete this process from outside the country.

The consulate's website reads:

Todo ciudadano dominicano tiene derecho solicitar el pasaporte de sus menores nacidos en el exterior en las oficinas consulares de la República Dominicana.

Doesn't this say ALL Dominicans?

Would be very grateful for any help, ideas, or suggestions. Thanks.

S

SKY

Maybe he has to follow the rules like you did? That being the first passport must be issued in SD for him also. It is the only thing I can think of. But I would consult a lawyer here by phone first to see if he can get around this nonsense.

S

SKY

The rules as I know it and received my first passport in 2004 was that you had to get your first one in SD. And that was 15 years ago. After that you go to any office in the DR. But his son I assume was born in the DR and not naturalized.

A

Alltimegreat

The rules as I know it and received my first passport in 2004 was that you had to get your first one in SD. And that was 15 years ago. After that you go to any office in the DR. But his son I assume was born in the DR and not naturalized.

My son was born outside the DR and has never been there.

Not sure if this makes any difference, but je was born a few months before my naturalization ceremony.

S

SKY

Not sure if this makes any difference, but je was born a few months before my naturalization ceremony.

I would have to assume it does make a difference to them and the reason it was denied. But I would phone a good lawyer and see if he can help.

A

Alltimegreat

Thanks. I'll definitely do that. Just wanted to see the opinions here on the forum first.

M

Matilda

It depends if his mother is Dominican. If she is, then he is and I assume you have registered him for Dominican nationality and obtained a Dominican birth cert.

A

Alltimegreat

It depends if his mother is Dominican. If she is, then he is and I assume you have registered him for Dominican nationality and obtained a Dominican birth cert.

His mother is not Dominican. However, I did register him for Dominican nationality and he does have a Dominican birth cerificate featuring a 402- cédula number. He's definitely a Dominican citizen.

M

Matilda

His mother is not Dominican. However, I did register him for Dominican nationality and he does have a Dominican birth cerificate featuring a 402- cédula number. He's definitely a Dominican citizen.

Therefore first passport only in Santo Domingo just like all other naturalized citizens.

A

Alltimegreat

Fair enough.

I would not have viewed him as a naturalized citizen given that he acquired Dominican citizenship by virtue of being the child of a (naturalized) Dominican citizen.