Passport Question

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
So, I've traveled so much from the US to the Dominican Republic and Costa Rica that I have no more of the regular pages in my unexpired passport to stamp (there are, however, a few more pages for 'Endorsements and Amendments'). Is this going to cause me a problem getting into and leaving SDQ next month?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I would think not. They will just sneak a stamp in wherever they can fit it. Don't sweat it.

LTSteve

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
You can also get pages added to your passport at the Embassy in Santo Domingo. A friend just had them add a bunch to his passport. You do need to make an appointment first and they do it the same day.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
You can have extra pages added twice during the valid period of your passport. When you renew ask for the larger 52 page passport book option.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From experience.... keep track of where they stamp you to avoid being accused of overstaying.

They won't search for the entry date... easier to charge you.

I had to find my own entry stamp once to avoid being 'scooped'

It was a full passport - they see that and throw it back at you

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
You can have extra pages added twice during the valid period of your passport. When you renew ask for the larger 52 page passport book option.

The 52 page is worth every extra penny if you travel to other countries that require visas for American citizens... I ran out of pages real fast on the old passports e.g every trip to China leaves an entire page plastered with the visa

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
To directly answer your question, When my passport was close to full I got little side remarks once from immigration in Trinidad & Tobago, second in Guyana and another time coming through New York. However, in DR they just stamped away sometimes one over another. But I wouldnt want to be travelling that way for too long and chance running into a grumpy immigration officer.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
The 52 page is worth every extra penny if you travel to other countries that require visas for American citizens... I ran out of pages real fast on the old passports e.g every trip to China leaves an entire page plastered with the visa

I just renewed my passport and I didn't have to pay any extra for the 52 page book. However I was shocked to find out that it now costs 82 usd to have extra pages placed in your passport. :( I did this twice in my old passport and it was free at that time.

To the op - you probably won't have issues with the DR end of your travels but could easily catch some grief when returning to the States. Depending on where you live in the States it would be worth it just to go in person before your trip or to do it in the DR thru the U.S. consulate during your time on the island to have pages added; that way you can avoid mailing in your passport.

Be advised though that they do not offer same day service for adding pages in the DR - you drop off your passport with the form and money and it takes 3 days to one week. See details at the link below.

Processing a U.S. Passport in Santo Domingo | Embassy of the United States Dominican Republic

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Expatsooner,
Sorry did not mean to hit the dislike button on your post. I am using a new tablet and my fat fingers don't always hit what I want to.
Again sorry

Bob K

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
I just renewed my passport and I didn't have to pay any extra for the 52 page book. However I was shocked to find out that it now costs 82 usd to have extra pages placed in your passport. :( I did this twice in my old passport and it was free at that time.

You are correct, it's no additional charge. Just check the box that says you want the larger non standard passport. Expedited service was why I paid additional