Pedro Martinez: Elected to the Hall of Fame

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Is he still rolling around the DR in his canary-yellow Lamborghini, or did he purchase a vehicle more suited to typical Dominican roads, like an army-issue tank?

I thought it was Big Papi who had the canary yellow Lamborghini.....

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I don't know what Big Papi rolls around in, but Martinez drove around in a yellow Lamborghini back in his playing days.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Well, he does have that wicked hot wife.....I imagine Carolina would go for the yellow.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
You just can't describe the passion and emotional feeling at Fenway when Pedro pitched against the Yankees. Truly Electric.

Not just the MFYs. Everybody. Every time he had a baseball in his hand and walked onto the mound, the electricity began.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
I don't know what Big Papi rolls around in, but Martinez drove around in a yellow Lamborghini back in his playing days.

Papi has a White Lamborghini Aventador among others.

[video=youtube;tj1RWU-20x8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj1RWU-20x8[/video]

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
He's not going to be inducted wearing a NY Mets cap, that's for sure. Not exactly his best years.

Is he still rolling around the DR in his canary-yellow Lamborghini, or did he purchase a vehicle more suited to typical Dominican roads, like an army-issue tank?

His years with mets were actually good, just not compared to vintage Pedro, but who has years as good as those. I loved Pedro on the Mets. He always pitched with all his heart.
He was sort of reinenting himself when fastball wasn't vintage Pedro. If not for injuries I think he could have played many more years as a junk ball, control type guy.
Along with seaver one of smartest pitchers I can remember.

I remember one high pressure situation, when he needed a strikeout badly. His fastballs and change kept getting fouled off. Dude invented a pitch on the spot and got the K, turned the change over sort of like screw ball. . . .

Met Pedro twice. Once at a Sin Fronteras show at Eclipse on avenida venezuela. I wanted the table up front as I thought it may be my last time in DR for a while. They would not give it to me. Table was emplty half way through first set. I was ****ed. Then pedro came in. Surrounded by friends and body guards. He danced with every chica in the place and gave them each a kiss on cheek. I went over and told him to "mata los yankees" he asked where I was from. I said NY. He looked at me funny. I said "mets fan". . .lol
Next night at Milly Quezada concert BIG dude comes over and hugs me hello. He was pedros body guard and was working for Milly this night.
That was 1999.

A few years back I went to visit antena latina because they had tech problems with a product I sold. I show up and they say, I can't take a look because they are recording Pedro on green screen using that product.
I stuck around. Ran into same body guard who remembered me. Just not from where. Told him Eclipse 99 with Sin Fronteras.
Some of the techs at the station ran out and bought baseballs. They got pedro to sign a bunch. One asked me if I would like one. He said 1,000 pesos. I handed him the bill before he finished saying pesos.

A few days later I went back and the guy asked how I liked the ball. They were all sort of laughing under their breathes about the pendejo gringo that paid 25 bucks for a ball that they just bought for 2 bucks.
I smiled and said " sold it on ebay for 350 bucks". They said no way. Showed them current sales for pedro signed baseballs and they looked all pale. I smiled and said " quien es el pendejo ahora". They all laughed and called mi tigre.
Saw the guy last year. He mentioned me selling the ball. I laughed and said I still have it as value will just go up. Bet it went up this week;-)

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Although I am not a Sox fan whenever the Blue jays are not in the playoffs..since the 92-93 world series wins I always cheer for the red sox. Pedro was probably one of the top 3 hurlers in his prime that I have had the pleasure of watching. And I have watched baseball since I was much younger in the 60's. I grew up in Windsor Canada taking the tunnel bus to watch the Tigers play. Watching him pitch in his prime was my pleasure.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I was also working a jays game several years ago and was introduced to Pedro, big Papi and other Spanish speaking sox by a friend who spoke Spanish and was able to keep up with the speed of the Dominican brand of Spanish. When I started coming to the north coast several years ago I finally understood his translation difficulties.

Jan 9, 2004
Nice!!! And did you notice the young guy said "When I lived in the Dominican"? :)

Yes.....even some Dominicans refer to the DR as the Dominican lol and he also said that every colmado with a TV was packed and that the country literally stopped when Pedro pitched.....so true.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes.....even some Dominicans refer to the DR as the Dominican lol and he also said that every colmado with a TV was packed and that the country literally stopped when Pedro pitched.....so true.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

PC, I've always said that I hear Dominicans call the country The Dominican when they speak English, I don't think anyone believed me. Proof at last!! :)

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Ahh yes...finally...many Dominicans refer to the country as "the Dominican". "me voy a Dominicana", "I am from the Dominican", "I just got back from the Dominican"... I hear it all the time.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Because Pedro is God.

pedro-martinezs-suit-deserved-its-own-hall-of-fame-ceremony