Pensioners dying of hunger?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My mother-in-law goes to the government pharmacies, but they seldom,if ever, have her blood pressure, or diabetes meds in stock.They always say, "Come Back "Manana", but as we all know, "Manana Never Comes"!
She has to use "Farmacia CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC"
She can't beat his prices.
He's open, 24/7 too. :eek::eek::eek:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i see. i have never been in a farmacia del peublo. i understand one needs a prescription form a public hospital to buy meds there? i only know they sell stuff very cheap. the quality may not always be there but the drugs are made by the same large dominican labs that sell well in normal pharmacies.
in any case, there are few companies selling basic medicine at fairly low cost in normal pharmacies. of course, it all depends on what you need to take and how much but many polls will be below 10 pesos each. granted, this is still a lot which is why many people skip medicine altogether. often it is a question of choice: a pill or a beer?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Most of the people living round me in the barrio are not starving but they are malnourished. They all pay electricity, before they were on fixed contracts of 300RD$ a month, but now all are metered and their bills are around RD$800 pesos. Mind you there is only electricity for 12 hours max a day and none have inverters. Some have Solidarity cards, which allow them to buy up certain products up to a couple of thousand pesos a month at the colmado - if they are in the right party. Some receive money from children, either here or overseas, but most are living on a total budget of around RD$5,000 a month, and some much less. Those that can grow plantains,yuca and corn in their yards.
I don't know any that have pensions, but those, as mentioned on this thread, are a privileged few, although in a couple of decades it should be more if the social security system actually works.
They cannot afford meat, maybe once a week, and certainly not green veg. Most survive on rice and eggs, plantains and salami, spaghetti and tomato paste - every meal, day in and day out.
Many are diabetic and cannot afford the testing kits, nor the insulin. Many do go to the government pharmacy, but with 35% of the meds thought to be fake here, I would not be surprised if a lot are there. Also there are only certain meds there, so those with specific issues such as insulin controlled diabetes, heart problems or high bloody pressure cannot afford them.
I think dying of hunger is probably not the right way to put it, but dying due to malnutrition probably is. They have gasoline for their car - but they are running without oil. At the end of the day, the engine seizes up.

Matilda

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
I think dying of hunger is probably not the right way to put it, but dying due to malnutrition probably is. They have gasoline for their car - but they are running without oil. At the end of the day, the engine seizes up.

Matilda

Well put.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Hi, I live half the year i dr in the pop region countryside. here in small villages fruit and vege are abundant, sometimes even on the side of the road. with no real effort I produce in my "conuc" oranges , lemon, mango, cherries,avocado, yucca, platano, bananas, tayota, carrots, salad, potatoes, leeks and lots more. A couple of pigs, a dozen chicken, a dozen ducks and a couple of turkeys. 2 hour work a day max. I ve lived 2 months and a bit without buying food.
Second here in my region, u roast a pig and everyone one comes round with drink and food.....even on a normal day people just pop round to eat some abichuela, rice and a piece of chicken, in my inlaws house. Anyone from the village is welcome in any house....Perhaps its because its a small village.

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
Hi, I live half the year i dr in the pop region countryside. here in small villages fruit and vege are abundant, sometimes even on the side of the road. with no real effort I produce in my "conuc" oranges , lemon, mango, cherries,avocado, yucca, platano, bananas, tayota, carrots, salad, potatoes, leeks and lots more. A couple of pigs, a dozen chicken, a dozen ducks and a couple of turkeys. 2 hour work a day max. I ve lived 2 months and a bit without buying food.
Second here in my region, u roast a pig and everyone one comes round with drink and food.....even on a normal day people just pop round to eat some abichuela, rice and a piece of chicken, in my inlaws house. Anyone from the village is welcome in any house....Perhaps its because its a small village.

That sounds wonderful. I wish everywhere were so nice.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
My next door neighbor grows alot of herbs and veggies too.Platanos,aguacate,calabasa
rulos,bananas,she has an orange and lime tree,chinola,papaya,mango tree,guandules
peppers,tomates,green beans,cilantro,basil and a cereza tree! It's amazing what she
can grow on a small plot.