Perception of missionaries from LDS church

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariposa33

Aug 22, 2002
I guess we all have our own opinions. I respect the peace corps for what they do and I respect the red cross for what they do and I respect religions for what they do. I just don't agree with anyone putting another group down for doing good.
And I guess we better change the subject before we all get in trouble for talking about religion on dr1...:)

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Do Mormons "pay their own way" or do they ask people to support them? Are you telling me that Mormons save enough money to live as missionaries for 2 years? Or do they apply to a missionary or church board?

mariposa33

Aug 22, 2002
I saved enough to pay for some of it and then my parents paid monthly for my expenses. That is how most people do it. Those who cannot pay for it or their families can't pay for it, the church helps pay the expenses. But mostly the missionary and their family pay all the expenses.
In order to go on a mission we have to be prepared financially and spiritually. And then the leaders of the church give us a "call" telling us where we will be serving. The boys go for 2 years and the girls for 18 months.

leonita

Feb 24, 2003
paying their own way

Yes, they (or their families) pay their own way!
Hi!
I'm sorry if I started a big fight. What I really had in mind was to feel that my only child is safe, that has been confirmed, not only by her emails to me, she absolutely loves it there, but by most of you who have been so kind to tell me that the Mormons and others religious or non-religious "serious" people are accorded respect.
Since you asked, Maine Girl, my daughter did work while attending the university full-time, she saved the money to go because I am not Mormon and I didn't agree with her decision to go. She pays $375 per month to the church ward, the church then covers her room, board, and gives her some spending money. I will send her toiletries, her medications, some clothes as needed, however, the basic amount she saved up while working at her university as a peer counselor. I've found that so many of the people in her religion are equally motivated, they work their tails off to achieve the possibility of paying for their mission. By the way, most Mormon girls don't serve a mission, they go and get married right away. Mine already completed college and she's doing a mission, that she paid for, so, as Golo said, I am proud of her.
I can't speak about the church not sharing what they have, I've never been there. Here, if you want to go to their services, they will welcome you, and they will even invite you to dinner, but be ready for the big sales pitch. I have heard they are good salespeople when they're done with the mission!
So, thanks again for all of your support, I am not Mormon, but I do defend my girl and others like her who are willing to sacrifice 18 months(2 years for the boys) of their life to spread the word which they believe to be true. The church does provide much disaster relief and they also operate orphanages in some countries. I'm from Buenos Aires and I did see the orphanage right behind the temple there. So, all in all, they do some good for some people, and yes, they're persistent, but that's their job!
I love reading the responses, and hope that there's no fighting as a result of this first post?
You're right, I have no pull in Salt Lake City, they are suspicious of anyone who isn't a member around those parts!
I figure I gave them my only child, that's enough.BTW,she's gorgeous, but does wear the dowdy clothes befitting a missionary, so she should be safe!
:cool:

GForce209

Jan 1, 2002
I appreciate all the openmindedness on this board. I am a mormon but have many family members and friends who are not and I respect everyone in their right to make their own decisions. I don't think anyone is looking for a fight about religion, I'm sure not. There is a lot of good that can be done from religious groups to the peace corps, and all those that help or are helped are better off for it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Uh, the Mormon Church is certainly NOT the largest charity giver in the world. That is patently absurd. It is not the largest charity giver in the DR..
The Catholic Charities (Caritas) is by far larger than anything the Mormons have in the Dominican Republic.
As to anything else...to each his own, but I have a question: Is you daughter living with her boyfriend or was that just for recruitment purposes??

Hb, nasty, nasty..

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
The Catholic Church

..certainly has some unique ways of raising money to give away. They made one of my favorite movies (The Spitfire Grill) with a budget of $1M and used the proceeds for humanitarian purposes...

True grace is irresistible, no-strings-attached giving has its own reward!

leonita

Feb 24, 2003
To Hillbilly,
My daughter is not living with her boyfriend, that's totally off limits for missionaries! He is serving a mission in Australia, he'll be back in the US this August, while she just got to the DR, so she won't be home until July,2004, so if they stay together, that will truly be a miracle! It wasn't just for recruitment, there's true love there, he's been gone since August of 2001 and they write back and forth. BTW, just spent $93 to send a 9 lb box via FedEx. Has anyone tried using DHL or any other reliable service for packages to the DR?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
GForce

I believe the one who does not have the right information is you. All the churches in DR, be it the Catholic, Lutherans and Mormons are living beyond their means and fooling their people.

Yes this is a third world country, but nobody invited you here. You came here to build your pompous, closed to everyone, monument to waste and extravagance. Apparently you have not seen this monstruosity built in one of the posh areas of the city, totally apart from the poor and the needy. It is close 99% of the times.

If not with this thread, I will stay with my own investigation of the mormons and keep the people here informed. I will re-establish my connection with the missionaries again and I promise you I will go to the bottom of what they really wanted from me this time.

I stopped the contacts when they started delving into my finances. Now I will go full swing and take your challenge and prove to you this people don't pay their way. They get money and part of your estate from you and that's why they have money to blow in scandalous projects like the "mansion of the gold treasures on Bolivar Avenue".

I live here in DR and you are not going to intimidate me with your super power superiority stuff and demeaning third world countries. You are the one kissing our behind posting and reading here. I stick to what I said. The Mormons in DR are lambones y vividores que quieren vivir del mas pendejo, y hay bastantes Dominicanos que se prestan para esta mierda. Pero yo no soy uno de ellos.

TW

GForce209

Jan 1, 2002
Wow, an amazing comeback I must say. I implore you to "get to the bottom" of the situation, in fact I hope you do and then come back and let us know what you found out. Yes I have seen the temple on the Bolivar and I think it is a beatiful building. Labeling me a "Super power superiority" and as "demeaning third world countries," is just ridiculous. Ignorance leads to anger with the misunderstood, and you are a very angry person. Talk to the mormons, both northamerican and dominican and try to increase your level of understanding.

mariposa33

Aug 22, 2002
Wow Golo
Again you have proven your lack of knowledge. The reason you think we don't pay our own way is because we don't advertise it. We do our charity and work without looking for praise or honor. Most of the work and help that is given by the mormon church is done without the world being told. We don't do it to make the church look good. We do it because we believe in helping others.
And if you want to delve deep enough you will find out that the mormon church is debt free and pays for all its buildings and help to members and others with cash. This money comes from tithes which the members give on there own free will and from propertys and businesses the church owns. Noone is forced to pay the church anything, and it is not a requirement to be a member. If there is anyone requiring you to pay money or give property to belong to the church it should be reported to church leaders. It is not the practice of the church to do this.
I have paid my tithing faithfully for 15 years and I been blessed. And in times of need the church has helped me pay my rent, given me food, etc. I've never been forced to give anything. And none of the leaders of our church receive any money for their service. The prophet, nor the Bishops, nor anyone else. It is all voluntary.
No one is perfect and I am sure there have been missionaries who have not represented the church well. As with any religion!
Have you ever seen a religion build a Temple that was small and cheap and dirty?! Ours is not the only one that believes that a Temple is a sacrad and special place and should be built as such.
I certaily don't want to argue about religion or beliefs, but I will stand up and correct anything that is wrongly stated about our beliefs!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Tell that to the idiots who listen to you

My dear Mormons:

You are talking to a civilized, well educated Dominican. I am not the type that falls for religious propaganda. So keep your beliefs to yourself.

But just for your own consumption, let me say that Reverend Moon, and the crazy Hare Krishnas don't force their people into their church either, they just brainwash them.

But as far as I am concerned, you can continue to sign off the titles to your homes and inheritances to your church. Just don't come to smart people like me for your money.

But for the benefit of DR1 people, I will get back to talking to these youngs kids, who have more sales abilities than knowledge of their own religion, and I will fool them into believing I am interested and take them for a ride, then I will report back to you.

TW

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
Dear Mormon posters,
Just curious, can you explain briefly what the deal is with having so many children? I've read it has something to do with the planets. I'm being serious.

mariposa33

Aug 22, 2002
Nothing to do with the planets........where do all these weird perceptions of the mormons come from........oh ya from golo :)
We just believe in the importance of family. And that if you can afford to bring up a big family, why not! Kids are great. I grew up in a family of five kids and it was great growing up and its great now to have strong family ties with all of them.
And Golo.......I'll keep my beliefs to myself if you'll keep yours to yourself.....quit being a hipocrit.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Excuse my ignorance but wouldn't the "Christian" thing to do be to not waste money on extravagant Temples but to use the money to help the less fortunate?

mariposa33

Aug 22, 2002
The mormon church does both. And without understanding the purpose or significance of the Temple you will never understand why it is built so beautifully. And without getting in touch with Church officials over humanitarian efforts you will never know how much help is given to the less fortunate, because the church does not advertise it like other organizations do.
Do you have a problem with other religions who build big beautiful Temples? Or is it just the mormon church? Not being sarcastic, just wondering. As for it not being open 24 hours a day I have already answered that.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I have problms with any organized religion that build Temples, Cathedrals or churchs when, if they were true Christians, they should be spending the money on what they claim they do.

If Jesus was here now do you think he would want you to build a Temple or spend the money on helping the less fortunate?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Before I close this, two stories.

First let me say, I have never had any problems with Mormons.
Always been pleasant to me, actually got some good Mormon friends in Australia. Saying that, I agree with Tony C, shouldn't they be spreading a little wealth to the people that really need it? That "temple" in my opinion just rubs dirt in Dominicans faces.

Story 1
--------
Had two missionaries knock on my front door to give me the "God" sales pitch.
Conversation went something like this:

Missionaries: Hello, blah, blah, blah...

Me: I really don't believe in God and unless someone can show me a photo or some proof, my mind will stay unchanged.

Missionaries: Have you ever visited New Zealand?

Me: Nope.

Missionaries: So how do you know it exists?

Me: My granny sent me a postcard with a picture on it and the adverts for anchor butter on the TV show photos of it.

Missionaries: Errrr....

Me: Thanks, gotta go, Scooby Doo is on TV.

Slamm...

I was seven :)

A few years later...

I was in a business meeting and the subject of God came up.
Conversation went something like this:

Me: Let's not get on this topic, it has nothing to do with why we are here today.

Client: But I'm a believer and take offense that your not willing to speak about this with a potential client.

Me: Ok,... Yes, I do believe in a God, actually I have seen him and know what he looks like.

Client: Really?

Me: He fixes me when I'm sick, feeds me when I'm hungry and helps me make it through the month if it's not going well.

Client: What does he look like?

Me: A roman centurion.

Client: Errr, was this a vision?

Me: No, it's my Amex card!

Needless to say, I didn't earn any commission :)

Thread Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.