Permanent residency renewal alert!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
count your lucky stars, you whiny gringa because at least you have the DGM office right under your nose :laugh:
us north coasters are not so lucky :tired:

i was talking to a fren the other day about our renewal (we both got the perm residency just days apart and we both are going for the definitiva next time around). my conclusion was to chillax for now because we are good for two more years and by then the rules will change several times already. your post showed exactly that. i just wish there were some sort of updates/announcements on DGM page before one embarks on this little bureaucratic adventure...

Why don't you just become a citizen?

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
For people from the Untied States,get a visa,stay,90 days then leave,visa is good for several years.Most people after 90 days are ready to leave.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For people from the Untied States,get a visa,stay,90 days then leave,visa is good for several years.Most people after 90 days are ready to leave.

There is no such visa to the DR from the US that I am aware of. There is simply the current mess of a 30 day tourist card and all the discussion from that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Might be referring to her Polish citizenship.
Perhaps Poland doesn’t allow dual citizenship

Poland does allow dual citizenship.

DUAL CITIZENSHIPS ALLOWED:
Australia, Barbados, Belgium, Bangladesh, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, United States, United Kingdom, Switzerland, South Korea, South Africa (requires permission) , Egypt(requires prior permission), Greece, France, Finland, Germany (requires prior permission), Iraq, Italy, Israel, Ireland, Poland, Hungary, Iceland, Kenya, Sweden, Slovenia, Syria, Serbia, Armenia, Thailand, Lebanon, Malta, Spain ( allows only with certain Latin American countries), Tonga, Philippines, Sierra Leone, Sri Lanka (by retention), Pakistan (accepts only with 16 countries), Portugal, Turkey (requires permission)

DUAL CITIZENSHIPS NOT ALLOWED
Andorra, Austria, Azerbaijan ,Burma, Bahrain, Botswana, Japan, China ,Czech Republic, Fiji,India,Indonesia, Ecuador, Estonia, Iran, Papua New Guinea, Brunei, Japan, Peru, Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Chile, Kiribati, Korea, Kuwait, Latvia,Singapore, Slovakia, Ecuador, Lithuania, Solomon Islands ,Fiji ,Malaysia, Mauritius, Netherlands, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Romania, Mexico, Nepal, Venezuela, Norway, Zimbabwe, Mauritius, Myanmar, Nepal

PAKISTAN:
Pakistan allows dual citizenship only with the below countries

United Kingdom
Italy
France
Belgium
Iceland
Australia
New Zealand
Sweden
United States
Ireland
Netherlands
Switzerland
Canada
Egypt
Jordan
Syria

SPAIN
Allows dual citizenship with some Latin-American countries Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru and Uruguay, Andorra, Portugal, the Philippines and Equatorial Guinea.
http://dlgimmigration.com/united-st...ries-that-allow-or-disallow-dual-citizenship/

Now back to my waiting for my request for Definitiva to be approved and proceed on 10 year residency.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update: Last Thursday, two weeks after going for the medical tests, the notification appeared on the Migración site saying I should go and collect my residencia card from Santo Domingo, with the following note:
VISITAR DGM A RETIRAR SU CARNET Y/O CARTA CONSTANCIA (EN CASO DE NO VISITAR EN LA FECHA ESTABLECIDA, TENDRÁ UNA PENALIDAD DE RD$1,000.00)
Of course, nowhere does it state the "fecha establecida" so I phoned the Punta Cana office and they explained that it means one month from the day you made the payment; in my case about 15 days.

I finally went today. For a variety of reasons we were not able to leave very early so I arrived at 11:15. At about 9:30 Mr C phoned a friend who works there and asked him to get me a turno, which we estimate cut down my waiting time by 1-2 hours.

It was crowded and chaotic and you have to be on permanent alert for your name to be called - and mine is almost always pronounced with astonishing originality - over the buzz of the background noise, so reading or cellphone distraction is not an option, and it's even less advisable to listen to music or podcasts.

I finally emerged with my card at about 1:30. Four years because - as mentioned in a previous post - I didn't request 10-years before starting the process. Re-centralising the card collection stage after setting up a local office in Punta Cana and other parts of the country with a high expat population makes no sense. It only adds to the Santo Domingo office workload. I hope they sort it out by 2022.

NB. I didn't renew my cédula today. I had too many other things to do in SD so I'll have to tackle that next week. Any advice on the best time of day for this?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
So, everyone just gets a number and waits?

No special lines/windows until you're called?

I'm going in 1 1/2 weeks and want to be sure of what to do when I get to Migracion.
All my paper work was done on-line and I paid in Santiago.

Thanks,

Don

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
NB. I didn't renew my cédula today. I had too many other things to do in SD so I'll have to tackle that next week. Any advice on the best time of day for this?

Go to the JCE in Veron. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes, if that.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

Fantastic news that they're issuing foreigner cédulas. We'll ask for a 2x1 because we have to get L's first adult cédula - he's 18 today!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
So, everyone just gets a number and waits?

No special lines/windows until you're called?

I'm going in 1 1/2 weeks and want to be sure of what to do when I get to Migracion.
All my paper work was done on-line and I paid in Santiago.

Thanks,

Don

First turno: you wait for your number to come up on the screen and go to ventanilla 12 - they take your receipt and tell you to sit and wait to be called by name. You go to the ventanilla and they send you to get a pass - you have to leave your cédula - and then you are allowed to go in to get your photo taken. Once that's done you return the pass and retrieve your cédula, and then you have to wait to be called to ventanilla 12 again and they give you your carnet de residencia.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
First turno: you wait for your number to come up on the screen and go to ventanilla 12 - they take your receipt and tell you to sit and wait to be called by name. You go to the ventanilla and they send you to get a pass - you have to leave your cédula - and then you are allowed to go in to get your photo taken. Once that's done you return the pass and retrieve your cédula, and then you have to wait to be called to ventanilla 12 again and they give you your carnet de residencia.

Thanks for your help.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

Update: Got the cédula this morning from the JCE in Veron. Easy-peasy, RD$4,000.

Total cost of residency + cédula renewal = RD$21,100 plus fuel costs for one trip to Higuey and one to the capital.

KateP - I owe you a fría!

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
“First turno: you wait for your number to come up on the screen and go to ventanilla 12 - they take your receipt and tell to sit and wait be called by name. You go to the ventanilla and they send you to get a pass - you have to leave your cédula - and then you are allowed to go in to get your photo taken. Once that's done you return the pass and retrieve your cédula, and then you have to wait to be called to ventanilla 12 again and they give you your carnet de residencia.”

This is exactly as it went down for me today - In & Out in 3.5 hrs.. I arrived at 9:15 am, gone at 12:45pm. Went directly for cédula afterwards, that process - 4,000 rd$ & 30 minutes top... Note: Two folks at the JCE I’d seen earlier at the DGM had compleated the residency process no more than 15 minutes before me, out of curiosity I asked what time they arrived for residency, they said 8:15 am (an hour prior to my arrival). If your wondering what time to get to the DGM ?, I think its a crap shoot... Good luck to everybody going through the process, in reality it’s a painless process if you don’t forget to take your bag of patience..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Last week
our lawyer was there at 8 and got ticket #3

we had promised to be there by 9am

she kept pulling tickets until finally - she stopped.

We arrived - got a ticket w/ her - 11 spots away
took about 25 minutes... quick enough

the wait was for the medical instructions..... like until noon from 9:30am

we just went and got the groceries etc....

all done by 1PM

next week - cedula

Jan 7, 2016
AND THE RETIREE RESIDENCY SAGA GOES ON AND ON AND ON.....

We are now on our 3rd renewal for our Retiree Pensioner Residencies here in the D.R. Guzman and Ariza in Santo Domingo has handled this for us in the past and is presently working with Immigration on our 3rd time.

Started this whole process before our Cedulas and Residency Cards expired on the 14th of December and was told that it would take less than 30 days to complete the renewals, which in the past has been true.

30 days came and went. Called to see what was holding-up the process, and Guzman Ariza investigated and found out that Immigration wanted copies of ALL our statements of our Dominican Bank Account, at Banco Popular. Got a letter from the bank, but Immigration didn't like the letter, so re-submit, and re-submit again. Now at 45 days past renewal. Finally submitted the right letter in the format they wanted. Then they wanted me to deposit $2,000 additional U.S. dollars into the account. Did so.

Now at 55 days past renewal date (and a 500 peso x 2 penalty added) they have decided that I need to have at least $10,500 U.S. dollars on deposit in the D.R. I don't know who they're sleeping with at the Bank, but that ain't gonna happen. My money stays in banks that PAY interest and not deduct monthly service charges to USE my money.

Guzman Ariza informs me that they have numerous clients in the same position that we are in, and that the Immigration Office in Santo Domingo has only INTERNAL rules (unwritten) regarding any changes to the Immigration requirements.

I went through this process 3 times and now on the 3rd pass through, they change the rules. Now I've invested over $10,000 US in attorney's fees and fees to Immigration for the 3 renewals.

Tomorrow morning I'm contacting my realtor here and putting my condo on the market and putting a SE VENDE sign in the back window of my car. I'm done. Caput. It's not worth the time, aggravation, exasperation and heartache of going through this process to save a few pesos on exit and entry fees to come here for 6 months out of each year.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
AND THE RETIREE RESIDENCY SAGA GOES ON AND ON AND ON.....

We are now on our 3rd renewal for our Retiree Pensioner Residencies here in the D.R. Guzman and Ariza in Santo Domingo has handled this for us in the past and is presently working with Immigration on our 3rd time.

Started this whole process before our Cedulas and Residency Cards expired on the 14th of December and was told that it would take less than 30 days to complete the renewals, which in the past has been true.

30 days came and went. Called to see what was holding-up the process, and Guzman Ariza investigated and found out that Immigration wanted copies of ALL our statements of our Dominican Bank Account, at Banco Popular. Got a letter from the bank, but Immigration didn't like the letter, so re-submit, and re-submit again. Now at 45 days past renewal. Finally submitted the right letter in the format they wanted. Then they wanted me to deposit $2,000 additional U.S. dollars into the account. Did so.

Now at 55 days past renewal date (and a 500 peso x 2 penalty added) they have decided that I need to have at least $10,500 U.S. dollars on deposit in the D.R. I don't know who they're sleeping with at the Bank, but that ain't gonna happen. My money stays in banks that PAY interest and not deduct monthly service charges to USE my money.

Guzman Ariza informs me that they have numerous clients in the same position that we are in, and that the Immigration Office in Santo Domingo has only INTERNAL rules (unwritten) regarding any changes to the Immigration requirements.

I went through this process 3 times and now on the 3rd pass through, they change the rules. Now I've invested over $10,000 US in attorney's fees and fees to Immigration for the 3 renewals.

Tomorrow morning I'm contacting my realtor here and putting my condo on the market and putting a SE VENDE sign in the back window of my car. I'm done. Caput. It's not worth the time, aggravation, exasperation and heartache of going through this process to save a few pesos on exit and entry fees to come here for 6 months out of each year.

This is EXACTLY what I was afraid of with the new bank info requirement. Absolutely insane. And with over $10K in the bank here, you now have to file the FinCEN 114 report to the IRS - another headache.

Add to that the fact that they issued over 16,000 new residencies last year - almost all of which were from the PNRE program and there are a whole more to come. They knew these were in the pipeline and have done NOTHING! It's only going to get worse from here.

Can't say I balme you at all for calling it quits.

Jan 7, 2016
This is EXACTLY what I was afraid of with the new bank info requirement. Absolutely insane. And with over $10K in the bank here, you now have to file the FinCEN 114 report to the IRS - another headache.

Add to that the fact that they issued over 16,000 new residencies last year - almost all of which were from the PNRE program and there are a whole more to come. They knew these were in the pipeline and have done NOTHING! It's only going to get worse from here.

Can't say I balme you at all for calling it quits.

I'm not calling it quits because of the people or the country itself, only the obtuse and confusing regulations and non-regulations that the Immigration Department in Santo Domingo changes on a daily basis. One never know where one stands with that "organization" (sic: disorganization). They don't even keep the attorneys responsible for ushering the applications through the system informed of the changes taking place. Guzman Ariza informed me that they have dozens of clients in the same situation that I'm in, which is really good for their business P.R.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't blame you one bit. If the renewal requirements for me become too onerous, and if I choose not to apply for citizenship, which I am not inclined to do, then I'll stop too and move somewhere else. The DR is not Shangri-La by any stretch of the imagination. I live here only so long as I choose to and much depends on how convenient the DR makes it to do so.