Permanent residency renewal alert!

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
I wonder if you allowed to choose...
choose to continue temporary and eschewing permanent

Will they allow that ?

Might be a question to ask ..... someone

Like a drivers license...
no - I want to continue on the learner permit....

I cannot answer your first question about whether or not indefinite renewals of temporary residence is allowed. But I can find nothing that limits that number of times that temporary residence can be renewed nor can I find anything that requires conversion to permanent residency at any point. But it's a good question.

But your question about the learner's permit for driving a car is easy. I recently obtained my learner's permit and the terms were quite clear. Even though I was given an appointment to return for my practical driving test 17 days after obtaining my learner's permit, the terms written on the learner's permit clearly state that it is valid for 1 year and can be renewed only once for an additional 1-year term.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
It is listed on this main page link: https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/30, but after you sign in it is not included there nor in the documents that you are required to upload:

SOLICITUD DE RENOVACIÓN DE RESIDENCIA TEMPORAL

"REQUISITOS PARA LA RENOVACIÓN DE LA RESIDENCIA TEMPORAL"

CARNET DE RESIDENCIA TEMPORAL.

CÉDULA DE IDENTIDAD PERSONAL. (EL ORIGINAL SE DEVUELVE AL EXTRANJERO DESPUÉS DE VERIFICADA)

PASAPORTE CON DIECIOCHO (18) MESES MÍNIMOS DE VIGENCIA. LA D.G.M. ES FLEXIBLE CON EL TEMA Y CONSIDERARÁ, EN CADA CASO, LA REALIDAD DE CADA PAÍS Y EL RIGOR DE SUS NORMAS EN LA EXPEDICIÓN DE LOS PASAPORTES.

CERTIFICACIÓN DE NO ANTECEDENTES PENALES DE LA REPÚBLICA DOMINICANA, EMITIDA POR LA PROCURADURÍA GENERAL DE LA REPÚBLICA.

DOS (2) FOTOGRAFÍAS DE FRENTE TAMAÑO 2 X 2 CON EL FONDO BLANCO, SIN JOYAS O ACCESORIOS Y LAS OREJAS DESCUBIERTAS.

PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA CONTRATADA CON LA COMPAÑÍA DE SEGUROS DEBIDAMENTE AUTORIZADA POR LA D.G.M. (COMERCIAL DE SEGURO, SEGURO PATRIA Y DOMINICANA SEGURO) EN EL CASO DE LA RENOVACIÓN DE UN MENOR DE 18 AÑOS DE EDAD, LOS PADRES DEBERÁN OBTENER LA PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA, EMITIDA A SU NOMBRE.
NOTAS GENERALES.

Typical mass confusion out of DGM.

Actually the web page that you reference for renewal of temporary residence has no requirement whatsoever for having funds in a Dominican bank. Paragraph 8.2 simply states that if you are a retiree with a pension, you must submit banking statements (presumably from any bank) to show the monthly deposits of your pension income. I had to do that for my initial residency, so I simply submitted statements from my bank in the United States. But the crazy thing is that I find nothing in the application or elsewhere where you have to declare that you are retiree. Thus that requirement for bank statements for renewals seems meaningless, and apparently that is consistent with your experience.

That is very different than the requirements listed under the section for renewal of residency for retirees which specifically requires 6 months of bank statements from a Dominican bank showing the deposits of your pension income paragraph 9). https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/39

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Part of the initial residency application under the retiree program, involves proving that you actually receive an pension and it is and has been deposited in your home bank account for at least six months. For the renewal process you need to show that you are spending at least the minimum amount defined under the requirements here in the DR on a monthly basis.

The requirements list showing deposits into a DR bank account each month, but there are ways around that if one doesn't actually do deposits into a DR bank - at least there has been a way around that requirement for me up to this point. None the less, at renewal time one needs to prove the expenditure of a monthly sum equal to or exceeding the requirement here in the DR.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Part of the initial residency application under the retiree program, involves proving that you actually receive an pension and it is and has been deposited in your home bank account for at least six months. For the renewal process you need to show that you are spending at least the minimum amount defined under the requirements here in the DR on a monthly basis.

The requirements list showing deposits into a DR bank account each month, but there are ways around that if one doesn't actually do deposits into a DR bank - at least there has been a way around that requirement for me up to this point. None the less, at renewal time one needs to prove the expenditure of a monthly sum equal to or exceeding the requirement here in the DR.

Yes, I agree that the requirements clearly include proof of movement of retirement funds in a Dominican bank account for retirees. But what is less clear to me is whether there is any requirement to declare that you a retiree. It appears that there is no requirement for non-retirees seeking residency renewal to have a Dominican bank account. I certainly wouldn't want to lie about my status, but if they don't specifically ask, then why would I want to declare that I am a retiree and purposely complicate my application?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Actually the web page that you reference for renewal of temporary residence has no requirement whatsoever for having funds in a Dominican bank. Paragraph 8.2 simply states that if you are a retiree with a pension, you must submit banking statements (presumably from any bank) to show the monthly deposits of your pension income. I had to do that for my initial residency, so I simply submitted statements from my bank in the United States. But the crazy thing is that I find nothing in the application or elsewhere where you have to declare that you are retiree. Thus that requirement for bank statements for renewals seems meaningless, and apparently that is consistent with your experience.

That is very different than the requirements listed under the section for renewal of residency for retirees which specifically requires 6 months of bank statements from a Dominican bank showing the deposits of your pension income paragraph 9). https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/39

Yes, I agree - it doesn't say the funds have to be in a Dominican bank. I had to prove I had a pension on my initial pplication for temporary jubilado/pensionado residency.

The last link you posted seems to apply to retirees that are renewing an inversionista residency(?).

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Yes, I agree - it doesn't say the funds have to be in a Dominican bank. I had to prove I had a pension on my initial pplication for temporary jubilado/pensionado residency.

The last link you posted seems to apply to retirees that are renewing an inversionista residency(?).

No, the web link that I posted is for retirees renewing their residency. The web link for investors is here https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/41 . As you can see, those requirements are quite different.

Like you, I also had to prove that I had a pension on my initial application for residency as a retiree. I thought that being a retiree would simplify and accelerate the approval process. But in light of the fact that it took nearly 9 months, I was obviously wrong. In hindsight, I don't know why I bothered to indicate that I was a retiree. It simply added to the documentation requirements and did nothing to simplify the process.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Regardless of what program you apply for residency under, you have to show an income sufficient to meet the requirements for residency. If you are retired, that may be a formal pension, if you are a true investor that would be a bucket load of money, for a rental income application, leases for however many properties it takes to meet the financial requirements.

The residency process requires you to declare an income source. If you rely on a pension for the purposes of the residency application, then you have de facto admitted to being retired at least as far as the govt is concerned. If you get a pension and have sufficient rental income, DGM may not need to know about your pension. Similarly, if you have a bucketful of cash, then they many not need to be told about rentals or a pension.

I suspect that for at least some of those who choose not to apply for residency, they just can't demonstrate a perpetual structured income source that satisfies DGM regardless of what a web page may have to say on this subject. Common sense would indicate, ensuring a person's ability to sustain themselves is consideration #1 of any residency application. I have not applied for temporary residency, but there must be somewhere on a form that asks you where you get your money from and you would probably have to validate any such info you reveal.

I can only assume that back when "permanent" meant what we all assume it means, there was/is a greater emphasis on sustained income than for a temporary residency that DGM can easily revoke every 365 days. Maybe someday permanent will mean what it is supposed to mean. Unlike today where the added income documentation being requested makes no sense based on the current process that requires renewals at an interval that seems not to be representative of the named status of the residency classification.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No, the web link that I posted is for retirees renewing their residency. The web link for investors is here https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/41 . As you can see, those requirements are quite different.

Like you, I also had to prove that I had a pension on my initial application for residency as a retiree. I thought that being a retiree would simplify and accelerate the approval process. But in light of the fact that it took nearly 9 months, I was obviously wrong. In hindsight, I don't know why I bothered to indicate that I was a retiree. It simply added to the documentation requirements and did nothing to simplify the process.

Here is the link you posted in #122 that I was referring to: https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/39
At the top of the page is says:

SERVICIOS > RESIDENCIAS > RESIDENCIAS PARA INVERSIONISTAS, so for inversionistas that are jubilados.

It appears there are different requirements for retirees that are "pensionado" and retirees that are "inversionistas" and "inversionistas" that are not retired.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Here is the link you posted in #122 that I was referring to: https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/39
At the top of the page is says:

SERVICIOS > RESIDENCIAS > RESIDENCIAS PARA INVERSIONISTAS, so for inversionistas that are jubilados.

It appears there are different requirements for retirees that are "pensionado" and retirees that are "inversionistas" and "inversionistas" that are not retired.

Yes, the requirements for investors are very different than the requirements for retirees. But to clarify my web page references, the link that I posted in #122 (https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/39) has a small general category heading at the top that says "HOME SERVICES> SERVICES> RESIDENCES> RESIDENCES FOR INVESTORS" (my Chrome web browser automatically converts the language to English). But that reference at the top refers to the general Section of their website. That particular page clearly states in the first sentence that the requirements listed are strictly for retirees or pensioners.

The web page that lists the requirements for investors has that same "HOME SERVICES> SERVICES> RESIDENCES> RESIDENCES FOR INVESTORS" general heading at the top, but the first sentence makes clear that the requirements listed on that page are strictly for investors. https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/41

Are we confused yet?

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Regardless of what program you apply for residency under, you have to show an income sufficient to meet the requirements for residency. If you are retired, that may be a formal pension, if you are a true investor that would be a bucket load of money, for a rental income application, leases for however many properties it takes to meet the financial requirements.

The residency process requires you to declare an income source. If you rely on a pension for the purposes of the residency application, then you have de facto admitted to being retired at least as far as the govt is concerned. If you get a pension and have sufficient rental income, DGM may not need to know about your pension. Similarly, if you have a bucketful of cash, then they many not need to be told about rentals or a pension.

I suspect that for at least some of those who choose not to apply for residency, they just can't demonstrate a perpetual structured income source that satisfies DGM regardless of what a web page may have to say on this subject. Common sense would indicate, ensuring a person's ability to sustain themselves is consideration #1 of any residency application. I have not applied for temporary residency, but there must be somewhere on a form that asks you where you get your money from and you would probably have to validate any such info you reveal.

I can only assume that back when "permanent" meant what we all assume it means, there was/is a greater emphasis on sustained income than for a temporary residency that DGM can easily revoke every 365 days. Maybe someday permanent will mean what it is supposed to mean. Unlike today where the added income documentation being requested makes no sense based on the current process that requires renewals at an interval that seems not to be representative of the named status of the residency classification.

Agreed. The Residence Visa that I had to obtain from the Dominican Consulate in my home country before applying for residency from Dominican Migracion included a requirement that I submit statements from my home country bank to confirm the retirement income that I had claimed. But now that I have proven that I have permanent retirement income that meets their requirements, it is unclear what sort of documentation if any is required for residency renewals. I have no problem providing bank statements from my home country again if required. But I do have a problem opening a Dominican bank account that shows at least 6 months of history moving funds in this country sufficient for my support.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Agreed. The Residence Visa that I had to obtain from the Dominican Consulate in my home country before applying for residency from Dominican Migracion included a requirement that I submit statements from my home country bank to confirm the retirement income that I had claimed. But now that I have proven that I have permanent retirement income that meets their requirements, it is unclear what sort of documentation if any is required for residency renewals. I have no problem providing bank statements from my home country again if required. But I do have a problem opening a Dominican bank account that shows at least 6 months of history moving funds in this country sufficient for my support.

rhanson1 read my post #84, You do not need to "that shows at least 6 months of history moving funds in this country". What you need to show as a permanent residence is that you are living and spending money in the DR.

There is no specific amount set, but you need a Dominican bank account with 6 month of movements and a balance. Example Condo fee, electricity, better get a Dominican credit card and buy your food-gas and then pay your Dominican credit card threw your Dominican bank account. ( They want to see movements in your Dominican Bank account as proof you are living and spending here)

FYI you can get a credit card at Bank Popular that will give you a 5% discount at Iberia or Jumbo.

The renewal process for retiree permanent residence is really easy only inconvenience its only for 2 years. For regular permanent residence its 4 years but requires medical unless you had it long ago( I do not remember the year, its on the web site)

Please read my post #84, you are confusing different residence and yes the DGM web site is full of errors and clear as mud.

XTraveller

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You have to be getting your money from home to the DR somehow. I don't have a bank account anymore and haven't used one for more than 2.5 years. For my last renewal, I just had to show that money came to me regularly and it was assumed I spent it here, which I did.

I'm not saying this will always be acceptable in my case or that everyone can get by without a bank account when dealing with DGM. When it doesn't work, I'll have to do something else or go somewhere else - whichever turns out to be easier. I'm only here as long as it is easy to be here and I never planned to be here forever.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I agree that if they keep making it more complex to stay and get residency it may become too much hassle for many.
Migration knows if you have been here long enough for renewal your spending money. But getting a bank account is while not as easy as Canada or the US is not that difficult.

What would be nice is an immigration office and medical labs where everything can be finalized. One each for the North Coast, Punta Cana and Santiago. Reduce the traffic and agonizing trips to SD and create more jobs outside the Capital.
I'm surprised it isn't already done.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree that if they keep making it more complex to stay and get residency it may become too much hassle for many.
Migration knows if you have been here long enough for renewal your spending money. But getting a bank account is while not as easy as Canada or the US is not that difficult.

What would be nice is an immigration office and medical labs where everything can be finalized. One each for the North Coast, Punta Cana and Santiago. Reduce the traffic and agonizing trips to SD and create more jobs outside the Capital.
I'm surprised it isn't already done.

I think the Punta Cana office can do this now, but not sure if there is an authorized medical lab there. You still have to go to Santo Domingo for the cedula since there is one and only one location for that to be issued.

In Puerto Plata, there is a place where you can get the medical tests. But picking up the residency cards requires a trip to Santo Domingo and you can also get your cedula at the same time.

I do not see anything that forces someone to stop renewing the provisional aka temporary residency card on an annual basis. Most people will move on to longer intervals to avoid the hassle of annual renewal trips to Santo Domingo.

I have no idea what one poster was talking about regarding still needing to pay an annual fee with a 10 year Definitiva residency card. I was applying for Definitiva when I ran into my regularization program issues. I saw no requirements to pay annual fees after getting Definitiva.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
rhanson1 read my post #84, You do not need to "that shows at least 6 months of history moving funds in this country". What you need to show as a permanent residence is that you are living and spending money in the DR.

There is no specific amount set, but you need a Dominican bank account with 6 month of movements and a balance. Example Condo fee, electricity, better get a Dominican credit card and buy your food-gas and then pay your Dominican credit card threw your Dominican bank account. ( They want to see movements in your Dominican Bank account as proof you are living and spending here)

FYI you can get a credit card at Bank Popular that will give you a 5% discount at Iberia or Jumbo.

The renewal process for retiree permanent residence is really easy only inconvenience its only for 2 years. For regular permanent residence its 4 years but requires medical unless you had it long ago( I do not remember the year, its on the web site)

Please read my post #84, you are confusing different residence and yes the DGM web site is full of errors and clear as mud.

XTraveller

The migracion lawyer for Guzman, Melisa Alcantara, stated in post #87 that: "The new policy is that if you cannot show monthly movements (around US$1,500.00 for retiree without dependents) you will need to deposit the total amount of 6 months to renew". This information along with everything posted on this thread and everything that I can find on the migracion website seem to indicate that the local banking requirements apply only to those who are applying for or renewing permanent residency. I find nothing indicating similar local banking requirements for renewal of temporary residency. Someone please correct me if you have experienced otherwise.

I get all the money that I need at any ATM with my Charles Schwab checking account - no fees, no minimum balance and the full inter-bank exchange rate on the pesos. And any fees charged by local banks for ATM transactions are automatically refunded in full by Schwab at the end of each month. My electricity bill from Edenorte for my condo is automatically charged each month to my credit card from an American bank. I use that same card for Claro, purchases at Playero, gasoline for my car, dentist, clinic, and many other things. I have absolutely no need to complicate my life with a Dominican bank account.

I actually had an account here with Banco Leon a few years ago but I canceled it after less than a year because of all the problems including fees for everything including the privilege of giving them my money, waiting in a teller line for a half hour every time I needed a simple transaction, ATM machines that didn't work half the time, limiting my ATM withdrawals to 5,000 pesos, difficulty understanding their website and navigating their statements, and difficulty communicating with anyone at the bank. I would really like to avoid doing that again if possible. If staying with temporary residency allows me to do that, then for all the reasons stated in my previous posts, that seems like to way to go due to the new local banking requirements for permanent residency and the reduction of the renewal period to only 2 years. Permanent residency renewal compared to temporary residency renewal appears to be far more complex, far more expensive, and I don't see how if accomplishes anything that temporary residency does not do other than eliminating the trek to SD every 2nd year. Someone please explain to me the errors in my thinking if you can.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The migracion lawyer for Guzman, Melisa Alcantara, stated in post #87 that: "The new policy is that if you cannot show monthly movements (around US$1,500.00 for retiree without dependents) you will need to deposit the total amount of 6 months to renew". This information along with everything posted on this thread and everything that I can find on the migracion website seem to indicate that the local banking requirements apply only to those who are applying for or renewing permanent residency. I find nothing indicating similar local banking requirements for renewal of temporary residency. Someone please correct me if you have experienced otherwise.

I get all the money that I need at any ATM with my Charles Schwab checking account - no fees, no minimum balance and the full inter-bank exchange rate on the pesos. And any fees charged by local banks for ATM transactions are automatically refunded in full by Schwab at the end of each month. My electricity bill from Edenorte for my condo is automatically charged each month to my credit card from an American bank. I use that same card for Claro, purchases at Playero, gasoline for my car, dentist, clinic, and many other things. I have absolutely no need to complicate my life with a Dominican bank account.

I actually had an account here with Banco Leon a few years ago but I canceled it after less than a year because of all the problems including fees for everything including the privilege of giving them my money, waiting in a teller line for a half hour every time I needed a simple transaction, ATM machines that didn't work half the time, limiting my ATM withdrawals to 5,000 pesos, difficulty understanding their website and navigating their statements, and difficulty communicating with anyone at the bank. I would really like to avoid doing that again if possible. If staying with temporary residency allows me to do that, then for all the reasons stated in my previous posts, that seems like to way to go due to the new local banking requirements for permanent residency and the reduction of the renewal period to only 2 years. Permanent residency renewal compared to temporary residency renewal appears to be far more complex, far more expensive, and I don't see how if accomplishes anything that temporary residency does not do other than eliminating the trek to SD every 2nd year. Someone please explain to me the errors in my thinking if you can.

Well as many people find out the government can and will ask for additional paperwork or requirements on an inconsistent basis, and you have no choice but to go with the flow. I applied for my Dominican passport about ten days ago. I gave them all the paperwork as required according to the website, it was accepted and scaned at the passport office , picture taken, and I was told to return of the 27th to pick it up. When I arrived they told be I need to go to the junta and get all my paper from when I did my citizenship and have the Junta scan then. So multi-trips to different parts of the junta to get the papers , which they copied but didn't scan. I return to the passport office and the legal person said yes those are all the papers you need but now you need to take them to the junta in Jarabacoa and have them scan them into the system then phone her when that's complete. I asked why that operation couldn't just be done there and she said that they weren't allowed to do it that way. So another nightmare to accomplish a simple thing. I wife said relax, go with flow because there is no use getting angry about it. Two days later I am still ****ed. Maybe my passport will be ready in several months.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes, the requirements for investors are very different than the requirements for retirees. But to clarify my web page references, the link that I posted in #122 (https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/39) has a small general category heading at the top that says "HOME SERVICES> SERVICES> RESIDENCES> RESIDENCES FOR INVESTORS" (my Chrome web browser automatically converts the language to English). But that reference at the top refers to the general Section of their website. That particular page clearly states in the first sentence that the requirements listed are strictly for retirees or pensioners.

The web page that lists the requirements for investors has that same "HOME SERVICES> SERVICES> RESIDENCES> RESIDENCES FOR INVESTORS" general heading at the top, but the first sentence makes clear that the requirements listed on that page are strictly for investors. https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/41

Are we confused yet?

Maybe some of the confusion is caused by Google Translate that you are using(?). I'm reading the two links we're discussing(39 and 41) in Spanish. At the top of the page on both it says:

SERVICIOS > RESIDENCIAS > RESIDENCIAS PARA INVERSIONISTAS

If you look at requirement #4 on page 39, it says: ORIGINAL DEL CARNET DE RESIDENCIA POR INVERSIÓN(Investor residency card), so it seems pretty clear to me that this page is referring only to retirees who are investors. I don't see any other way to interpret this. Page 39 is for "investors/retired" and 41 is for "investors(not retired)". Neither one of these pages would apply to me as I am "jubilado/pensionado" - not an investor.

The income and bank reporting requirements for both investor clases on #39 and #41 are quite different. To add to the confusion, under "Descripcion" on both pages, it says both investor classes can be renewed for 4 years, but refers to them as "temporary residencies". My temporary residency status has to be renewed every year. After 5 years I can apply for jubilado/pensionado - permanent, which has to be renewed every 4 years. So, on one hand you have an investor who is renewing every for years and his status is temporary, while a retiree that is renewing every 4 years is classified as permanent.

Was your original residency application for an investor(either retired or not), or was it for a retiree with a pension?

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Maybe some of the confusion is caused by Google Translate that you are using(?). I'm reading the two links we're discussing(39 and 41) in Spanish. At the top of the page on both it says:

SERVICIOS > RESIDENCIAS > RESIDENCIAS PARA INVERSIONISTAS

If you look at requirement #4 on page 39, it says: ORIGINAL DEL CARNET DE RESIDENCIA POR INVERSIÓN(Investor residency card), so it seems pretty clear to me that this page is referring only to retirees who are investors. I don't see any other way to interpret this. Page 39 is for "investors/retired" and 41 is for "investors(not retired)". Neither one of these pages would apply to me as I am "jubilado/pensionado" - not an investor.

The income and bank reporting requirements for both investor clases on #39 and #41 are quite different. To add to the confusion, under "Descripcion" on both pages, it says both investor classes can be renewed for 4 years, but refers to them as "temporary residencies". My temporary residency status has to be renewed every year. After 5 years I can apply for jubilado/pensionado - permanent, which has to be renewed every 4 years. So, on one hand you have an investor who is renewing every for years and his status is temporary, while a retiree that is renewing every 4 years is classified as permanent.

Was your original residency application for an investor(either retired or not), or was it for a retiree with a pension?

My original application to the Dominican Consultate in my home country for a Residence Visa was for a retiree with a pension. The documents that I submitted included a notarized and apostilled letter from the Social Security Administration confirming the amount of my monthly retirement payment. After submitting my application and documents, the Consulate sent me an email message saying that they need a letter from my bank along with monthly statements showing the monthly deposits of my retirement payment. So I sent them that additional information, and a few days later they sent me my Visa. The Consulate then forwarded all my documents to Migracion in SD.

Having obtained my Residency Visa, I then returned to the DR to have my lawyer begin the application for residency. She and I had discussed many times the fact that I would be applying directly for permanent residency due to the fact that I was a qualifying retiree. But when I got ready to return for a visit home again, I asked her secretary to give me a copy of my Migracion application to show to airport authorities in case they gave me a hard time for being a chronic over-stayer. I was shocked to see that the application was only for temporary residency. It appears that her secretary did the actual application, and she thought that everyone had to begin the process with temporary residency regardless of their situation. When I brought this error to the attention of my lawyer, she apologized for the error and assured me that she would have the application amended to permanent residency. But she never did.

In regards to your comments about the language on the migracion website, I don't think that Google Translate is the cause of any confusion - I think the confusion lies strictly with what is written on the migracion website. You point out that item #4 on page 39 mentions the word "investor". But the general description at the top of the page says that the requirements on that page is for retired persons or pensioners. Furthermore without the specific web link reference, the way to navigate to that page on their submenus is to click on the category called "REQUIREMENTS FOR THE RENEWAL OF RESIDENCE OF RETIRED". Thus for both of those reasons, I think that the word "investor" in item #4 is an error and does not belong there. And you are right that page 41 has information that we all know is erroneous. So I guess I'll just monitor the experiences of others and wait until my renewal decision is needed in 9 months before making any decisions. I'm still waiting to hear if anyone renewing temporary residency has been told that there are now local banking requirements.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
My original application to the Dominican Consultate in my home country for a Residence Visa was for a retiree with a pension. The documents that I submitted included a notarized and apostilled letter from the Social Security Administration confirming the amount of my monthly retirement payment. After submitting my application and documents, the Consulate sent me an email message saying that they need a letter from my bank along with monthly statements showing the monthly deposits of my retirement payment. So I sent them that additional information, and a few days later they sent me my Visa. The Consulate then forwarded all my documents to Migracion in SD.

Having obtained my Residency Visa, I then returned to the DR to have my lawyer begin the application for residency. She and I had discussed many times the fact that I would be applying directly for permanent residency due to the fact that I was a qualifying retiree. But when I got ready to return for a visit home again, I asked her secretary to give me a copy of my Migracion application to show to airport authorities in case they gave me a hard time for being a chronic over-stayer. I was shocked to see that the application was only for temporary residency. It appears that her secretary did the actual application, and she thought that everyone had to begin the process with temporary residency regardless of their situation. When I brought this error to the attention of my lawyer, she apologized for the error and assured me that she would have the application amended to permanent residency. But she never did.

In regards to your comments about the language on the migracion website, I don't think that Google Translate is the cause of any confusion - I think the confusion lies strictly with what is written on the migracion website. You point out that item #4 on page 39 mentions the word "investor". But the general description at the top of the page says that the requirements on that page is for retired persons or pensioners. Furthermore without the specific web link reference, the way to navigate to that page on their submenus is to click on the category called "REQUIREMENTS FOR THE RENEWAL OF RESIDENCE OF RETIRED". Thus for both of those reasons, I think that the word "investor" in item #4 is an error and does not belong there. And you are right that page 41 has information that we all know is erroneous. So I guess I'll just monitor the experiences of others and wait until my renewal decision is needed in 9 months before making any decisions. I'm still waiting to hear if anyone renewing temporary residency has been told that there are now local banking requirements.

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. On top of #4 specifically saying you need your carnet de residencia inversionista, under "Description" is says the renewal is for 4 years. That is clearly not the case for retirees/pensioned like us and the majority of posters here. The renewal is for one year only. Also, look at the fees at the bottom of page 39: 15,000 pesos for the renewal and 1,500 pesos for "deposito de expediente por inversion. This also is clearly not for retirees/pensioned like us. I pay 5000 pesos for renewal and no deposito de expediente por inversion is required. To me, this page is clearly for investors. I'd say it's impossible for these four items to be such glaring errors.

Last edited:

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. On top of #4 specifically saying you need your carnet de residencia inversionista, under "Description" is says the renewal is for 4 years. That is clearly not the case for retirees/pensioned like us and the majority of posters here. The renewal is for one year only. Also, look at the fees at the bottom of page 39: 15,000 pesos for the renewal and 1,500 pesos for "deposito de expediente por inversion. This also is clearly not for retirees/pensioned like us. I pay 5000 pesos for renewal and no deposito de expediente por inversion is required. To me, this page is clearly for investors. I'd say it's impossible for these four items to be such glaring

I'm pleased that we can have different opinions and disagree without resorting to angry and nasty insults against each other - something that I see all too often on this forum. Having said that, your points are valid and you may very well be correct. The one thing that we clearly both agree on is that migración website is confusing, contradictory, and sometimes inaccurate. Let''s see how things evolve in the coming months. I'm not going to spend any more time trying to decipher something that will probably change tomorrow anyway. I'll figure things out when it comes time for renewal.

Last edited by a moderator: