Peso devaluing vs. Dollar - Central Bank to Intravene?

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I loved Hippo......I made serious money during his spell in office especially the last 4 months. Hope to do the same in this current dollar devaluation

In the short term it is good for people with dollars, and bad for the general population. But it soon turns bad for people with dollars.

When there is instability, merchants, restaurant, etc., have to pay more for what they buy so they raise prices. But then fearing continued instability, they keep raising prices even after stability is restored. Then when they finally feel that stability is restored they stop raising prices, but if the rate of exchange goes down, they don't reduce prices.

Prices go up fast, they go down very slowly, if ever.

When I came to the DR in 1985-86, the rate of exchange was less than 2 to one. The rate was quite stable, and a dollar bought a lot more than it does today.

Tourists like to get a lot of pesos for their dollar. They would feel differently if they lived here.

If you were here in the last year of Hippo's term, you would know what I am talking about

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I loved Hippo......I made serious money during his spell in office especially the last 4 months. Hope to do the same in this current dollar devaluation

Other than being long USD on the way up, how does one profit?
I do not forsee a run to 60 and quick drop to 40 like The Hippo Fx manipulation.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I do not forsee a run to 60 and quick drop to 45 like The Hippo Fx manipulation.

I'm not sure of your question Tambo since you know all this. It's like any investing. I'm looking at buying if/when the DP hits around 61. Prices/costs for everything will go way up. The people will panic and will let everyone know that they are not happy. The gov. will, one way or another, get the peso down again.

Unfortunately; the cost of living that went up will not drop much if at all in most situations.

Exp: US $1,000. @ 61 PD = $61,000. DP. If then peso drops back to around todays rate of 42.- then that US $1,000. would only buy 42,000 pesos. In pesos I now have made 19,000 pesos profit or, almost U.S. $450.

My math OK guys?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Somewhere Pap? is smiling :)
The difference is back then the interest the CB paid on dollar deposits was outrageous! I know several who lived large off that interest...until it came time to renew...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm not sure of your question Tambo since you know all this. It's like any investing. I'm looking at buying if/when the DP hits around 61. Prices/costs for everything will go way up. The people will panic and will let everyone know that they are not happy. The gov. will, one way or another, get the peso down again.

Unfortunately; the cost of living that went up will not drop much if at all in most situations.

Exp: US $1,000. @ 61 PD = $61,000. DP. If then peso drops back to around todays rate of 42.- then that US $1,000. would only buy 42,000 pesos. In pesos I now have made 19,000 pesos profit or, almost U.S. $450.

My math OK guys?
Math is good, but that assumes a stable dollar.

At this point it's gambling. That said, I would have only the bare minimum in pesos...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

My math OK guys?

All good unless inflation matches or is greater than your increase then you get less for your 61,000 than you did for your 42,000.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
For now I am. IF peso's goes up then we buy peso's.
The bigger question is: will the DR be a place worth living in if the s#!t hits the fan that bad? The Hippo thing was because of a bank. This time it's far more systemic.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The difference is back then the interest the CB paid on dollar deposits was outrageous! I know several who lived large off that interest...until it came time to renew...

Very good point cb. The Central Bank was paying ???? 35% was it? As I remember, those people that had CD's and no problem getting their interest. Trying to get the original deposit was very difficult.

I have NO idea what the interest rate is on a C.D at the Central Bank anymore. IF I did have any, I'd be cashing them out.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
All good unless inflation matches or is greater than your increase then you get less for your 61,000 than you did for your 42,000.

If the peso would continue to rise.... the majority of the populace would be in Santo Domingo is less then 24 hours.

We all know what happens then. And those in power know it too.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I do not forsee a run to 60 and quick drop to 40 like The Hippo Fx manipulation.
My brother in law profited insanely at that time, due to the volatility of the dollar against the peso and the euro against the peso. He was on top of it all the time and changed dollars for pesos, pesos for euros and euros for dollars, or whatever he did and bought a piece of land with the profit and build a small mall on it. He was lucky to be a good friend of the daughter of the owner of a big company that needed dollars all the time and would buy big quantities from him, while there often were no dollars in the official system.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Over the years, except during the "Hipolito" fiasco, I always cashed my dollar checks all into pesos.
For the past year, I have asked for 500 in US Dollars, the rest in pesos.
So-Far-So-GREAT!
When the "MIERDA HITS THE ABANICO" having US dollars in your "pocket",will be a real blessing.
The banks won't have them, or won't sell them.
The ATM will not be working.
$100 dollars on the "Street" may be worth 100 to 1!!!!
I love "CAOS"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Over the years, except during the "Hipolito" fiasco, I always cashed my dollar checks all into pesos.
For the past year, I have asked for 500 in US Dollars, the rest in pesos.
So-Far-So-GREAT!
When the "MIERDA HITS THE ABANICO" having US dollars in your "pocket",will be a real blessing.
The banks won't have them, or won't sell them.
The ATM will not be working.
$100 dollars on the "Street" may be worth 100 to 1!!!!
I love "CAOS"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

When I left May 1 for a while... they could only give me $3k in US$$..... you're right about the lack of hard currency....

I even used your name -- still----------- no cheese!!!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
So that's CC and I holding U.S. $. Anyone else? BTY, I'm holding most of cash in a U.S. bank, we have a "money" guy here that takes our U.S. checks with no problems when we need some pesos.

You have a buy target Criss?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
So that's CC and I holding U.S. $. Anyone else? BTY, I'm holding most of cash in a U.S. bank, we have a "money" guy here that takes our U.S. checks with no problems when we need some pesos.

You have a buy target Criss?

You told us all to buy at 61, did your target change Ringo?