Pet Question

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Cats can travel in the cabin as long as the pet carrier fits under the seat in front of you, therefore stress to the animal is no more than putting it in your car (in a pet carrier). The cost is $ 50.00, one-way, checked this out with Westjet, however different airlines will probably have different policies and rates.
The only reason I am not going to bring her down is the fact that you have to take the animal to the quarantine office 48 hours before departure; it's just to much hustle for my taste.
Will only take her with us if we move permanently.
:bunny::bunny::bunny:

I have been traveling with my cats for the past 12 years to the DR. We stay about 5 months and then go home to Canada again. They travel with us in the cabin on Westjet.
All you need to have are valid vaccination certificates and a health certificate from your Vet in Canada. Vaccination certificate no less than 30 days old prior to departure, health certificate I believe no more than 14 days prior. I usually go a week before.
Arriving at the airport, you take your cat to the airport vet who writes out an importation paper and you pay your RD$300 per animal.
When you leave to go home, go to a local vet to get a Health Certificate a few days in advance. My Vet is Dr. De la Cruz and he makes house calls. I think last year it was RD$1500 per animal.
On the day of departure, take your pet to the same place when you arrived at the airport. The vet there will take your Dominican Health Certificate and write out a Deportation paper, you pay RD$300 and you are on your way.
There is NO quarantine!
Make sure you have your Rabies certificate when you re-enter Canada.
BTW, my cats are excellent travelers and they know their 2 homes well. No problem!

Feb 20, 2011
I have been traveling with my cats for the past 12 years to the DR. We stay about 5 months and then go home to Canada again. They travel with us in the cabin on Westjet.
All you need to have are valid vaccination certificates and a health certificate from your Vet in Canada. Vaccination certificate no less than 30 days old prior to departure, health certificate I believe no more than 14 days prior. I usually go a week before.
Arriving at the airport, you take your cat to the airport vet who writes out an importation paper and you pay your RD$300 per animal.
When you leave to go home, go to a local vet to get a Health Certificate a few days in advance. My Vet is Dr. De la Cruz and he makes house calls. I think last year it was RD$1500 per animal.
On the day of departure, take your pet to the same place when you arrived at the airport. The vet there will take your Dominican Health Certificate and write out a Deportation paper, you pay RD$300 and you are on your way.
There is NO quarantine!
Make sure you have your Rabies certificate when you re-enter Canada.
BTW, my cats are excellent travelers and they know their 2 homes well. No problem!

Great additional information - thanks!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

I have brought my small dog, 9.5#s down many times. You need any international travel form signed and certified by your US vet, a soft side pet carrier and your vacinatiion certificates of proof. When you board the plane you will carry on your pet and place the bag semi under the seat if front of you. I normally fly Jet Blue and by the additional leg room seat. This gives you more room for you and your pet. When you get to the DR there will be someone on the other side of customs who will look at your paper work and you will pay them 300peos or $10us. They will stamp your papers and that is it. When you come back to the airport for the return flight you will need the same form from a Dominican Vet dated no less than 10 days from departure. There will be a pet office at the airport that you must go to before checking in. They will again authorize your form and you will pay them. You then check in and go. When you go through security take your cat out of the bag and walk it throught with you. Good luck.

LTSteve

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Actually, I have tried all kinds of approaches to this.
The very first time, in December 2000, I contacted the Dominican Consulate in Toronto for guidelines. They told me that I had to have my Certificates translated in Spanish and legalizedby the Consulate. Cost for translation $35 USD per page plus, I can't remember that far back, but I believe another $25 per animal. That was the first and only time I did that.
The next time, I copied the translations on my Computer with the appropriate dates and had my Vet in Canada sign it.
I really don't think there is a big problem.
All they really care about is the Rabies certificate and a 3 year Rabies vaccination certificate is acceptable. I asked my Vet here in the DR.