Phone-WiFi packet for a foreigner stay several months

Status
Not open for further replies.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Hola... I am returning to the North Coast for the Winter (missed last Winter)

I am looking for advice on what phone, with Internet package, is available for Foreigners, on a month by month contract (or other variations).

In the past we got Orange – then Altice. It was a simple pay-as-you-go phone (only) plan.

Now..... It would be nice to also have WiFi on our phone.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All the carriers have similar packages, but find out which one works best where you'll be staying. For us Claro is useless, Altice is 100X better due to our location and location of their towers.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
My experience is that "unlimited" means "limited". As long as it's cellular data, it is never unlimited... Whatever they might tell you...
I’ve used it many times and so has my girlfriend who watches YouTube videos and Netflix all day. It’s unlimited

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I meant in what way are you limited. The paqueticos limitados only allow you "X" amount of data and then - zero. I've seen some plans that throttle your download speed after a certain amount of data. I get the paqueticos illimitados. There may be a limit, but even watching a couple streaming videos/day, I've never reached it.

Feb 7, 2007
"1 Gig" is a data limit. The packages I mentioned for Altice are "unlimited data".
They are not. Well, they are... Unlimited at 256 kbps after you run out of the 3/5 GB data allotment.

• Los paqueticos libres ofrecen una capacidad de 1 día 1GB, 3dias 2GB, 5 días 3.55GB, para navegar en alta velocidad LTE.
  • Luego de consumir la capacidad en velocidad LTE podrás seguir navegando a una velocidad de 256kbps, hasta el vencimiento de su vigencia. Ver Política de Uso Aceptable.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I meant in what way are you limited. The paqueticos limitados only allow you "X" amount of data and then - zero. I've seen some plans that throttle your download speed after a certain amount of data. I get the paqueticos illimitados. There may be a limit, but even watching a couple streaming videos/day, I've never reached it.
There's a limit and you never get what you pay for in full with any of these companies unless your service is set up under a business account.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They are not. Well, they are... Unlimited at 256 kbps after you run out of the 3/5 GB data allotment.

• Los paqueticos libres ofrecen una capacidad de 1 día 1GB, 3dias 2GB, 5 días 3.55GB, para navegar en alta velocidad LTE.
  • Luego de consumir la capacidad en velocidad LTE podrás seguir navegando a una velocidad de 256kbps, hasta el vencimiento de su vigencia. Ver Política de Uso Aceptable.
Considering that streaming videos use anywhere from 500Mbps/hr to 3GB/hr depending on quality, it's hard to understand how I can watch so much streaming video(?). At 256kbps, there's not a whole lot you can do.

Reactions: CristoRey

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Attachments

• Altice.png
    Altice.png
    487.6 KB · Views: 105

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
All the carriers have similar packages, but find out which one works best where you'll be staying. For us Claro is useless, Altice is 100X better due to our location and location of their towers.
Would totally agree, it all depends on where you're going to stay. Where I live Altice is useless, I get less than 1Mbps download and even worse upload, so basically useless. So in my case, my fiber-optic home internet connection is what I use.

Reactions: La Profe_1
Status
Not open for further replies.