Pigglets?

hjvkm

Oct 8, 2002
I hear the pigglet bussines is very very big in the DR. I plan to have around 40 pigs on my uncles land near Santiago. And his cousin will look after it for me ( I live in the US ). Any one have any advice or info?
Thanking you in advance,

HJVKM

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
HEE HEE HEE,I realy hope you trust this cousin of your uncles,most investers who are out of country around here lose their shirt,you aint takin care of your buiseness,they will take care of it for you including spending the profits and telling you why you didnt make money,eg swine flu or maybe the big bad wolf blew their house down HEE HEE HEE GOOD LUCK I THINK YOU WILL NEED IT

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
I have to agree with the above with JHonda and Hillbilly.
I made that mistake, sort of, and am still paying for it.
Think twice, and then say no.

Moca

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Would you like to buy the new bridge over the Ozama river?You can't lose!

I can hear it now! The day after the pigs are to be sold,you will call the "cousin" to see how much money you made.He will tell you that:1,the pigs all died the day before they were to be sold of a mystery disease,2,they were all stolen the night before they were to go to market,or 3,he was robbed at gun point on the way home from selling the pigs! So lets start over again,please send the money to buy more pigs! My brother-in-law once suggested the "Pig Farm" idea to me!Why not buy some old Toyota Corolas and rent them out on a dialy basis to taxi drivers? Is there anyone who hasen't been proposed that "GREAT IDEA" by a "good friend"? Crisco

Last edited:

hjvkm

Oct 8, 2002
To all have responded to pigglets!!!!!!!!!!

Why is everyone so negative? Jealous?
1: My uncles cousin is very reliable!
2: He would never ever steal or cheat me. He will be well taken care of!
3: I will be there when the pigglets are born untill they are sold!
4: I will be willing to bet anyone who has responded in the negative to bet me i will fail!!!!!!!!!!!
Any takers?
HJVKM

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Reread those "negative" posts, hjvkm. They all indicated you'd be at risk if you weren't there to oversee everything. Had you made clear from the outset that you'd be there from the birth to the sale of the pigs, the responses would very likely have been different.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A final word of warning: You had better be a very good pig farmer. The competition is brutal. Talk to the Asociaci?n de Porcicultores in Moca. They will tell you the absolute truth.
It is too late for Christmas, so who is going to buy them? Induveca?? Lots of luck!

HB

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
hjvkm: You've actually gotten good advice

from previous posters. They were not being negative but were trying to insert a thread of caution for your consideration. The swine business is very, very risky at best. I say this based on my personal experience in the swine industry over the past 40 years - here in the US as well as the Dominican Republic.

Here's what you're gonna need:

1. Ability (and willingness) to personally tend to the business.
2. Top-quality genetics.
3. Well designed and constructed facilities.
4. Adequate supply of top-quality feeds and storage for same.
5. An effective waste disposal plan.
6. Professionally administered health program.
7. A good, solid marketing plan.
8. Money, money, money. YOU MUST HAVE adequate financing before you even start such a project.

If you can answer "Yes" to all the above, you might have a chance! :)

My home farm in Illinois is located on a 420 acre tract of land that also contains hog facilities with a capacity of 22,000 market hogs per year. Lots of chicharrones, huh? :D

Swede

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I had a pet pig once named DOG. We had a dog kennel and I bought her to train. All my friends that had restaurants were giving me bags of either scraps or waste. She was a Polish Pig by the way and that isn't a joke.

I was breeding and training German Shepherds at the time and we were working with both the Seeing Eye Foundation and various police departments. Since pigs are smarter than dogs I wanted to give it a shot.

I bought a pig in a poke which of course is just a sack made of what was maybe jute. I took dog home and put her in a kennel. She was a bit freaked out and started running nose first into the fencing until she was bleeding.

Well to get to the end quickly she was about 450 lbs and big. I had built her a pig pen away from the dog runs. When I had people come to look at the Dogs to buy she would jump out of the Pig pen to come over and hang with the people. Problem was that she was so big she was intimidating. My customers would try to climb over the dog kennels to get inside with the attack trained dogs to get away from my friendly pig.

I was successful in training her and it was a good time. I finally traded her for Pygmy Goats because she was a problem with my customers.

It was really interesting to see how my Shepherds herded her back into her pig pen naturally albeit their training in the last 3 generations were obedience and protection yet all the quality breeding came back to them.

Sorry I couldnt help with something to add on the original thought but figured it would be an interesting aside. After the Pig was gone I had wonderful tomatoes in the pigpen for many years. The scraps she was fed came out the other end as seeds and propered.

Regards

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When we lived in Samana, it was not uncommon to see campesino children taking a pig for a walk with a leash around its neck. We also saw them washing their pig in the river. Eventually the family ate the pig, but until then it was treated like a pet.

mm.gif

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wow Jazzy. so do you know what ever happened to the pig? How long to pigs live?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When we lived in Samana, I was told by a pig raiser that all the pigs in the Dominican Republic today are American. I don't recall the details, but he said that some years ago there was a virus that wiped out the pigs that were then being raised in the DR. As a result, a large number of pigs that were resistent to this virus were obtained from the United States. Many campesinos were given a couple of pigs, with the understanding that when they had pigglets the babies were to be given to others. In this way, over not too long a period, the pig population in the Dominican Republic was built up.

Next time you eat pork in the Dominican Republic, remember that you are eating an American.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Re: To all have responded to pigglets!!!!!!!!!!

hjvkm said:
Why is everyone so negative? Jealous?
1: My uncles cousin is very reliable!
2: He would never ever steal or cheat me. He will be well taken care of!
3: I will be there when the pigglets are born untill they are sold!
4: I will be willing to bet anyone who has responded in the negative to bet me i will fail!!!!!!!!!!!
Any takers?
HJVKM

HJVKM,

I only responded to your post regarding my personal
experience, and not out of any malice or jealousy.

Moca

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
jazzcom said:
I had a pet pig once named DOG. We had a dog kennel and I bought her to train. All my friends that had restaurants were giving me bags of either scraps or waste. She was a Polish Pig by the way and that isn't a joke.

I was breeding and training German Shepherds at the time and we were working with both the Seeing Eye Foundation and various police departments. Since pigs are smarter than dogs I wanted to give it a shot.

I did a Google search looking for jazzcom's pig named DOG that was trained with German Shepherds for police work. Much to my surprise, I found him.
Pig_police.gif

Amazing what you can find on the internet if you look for it. Sorry that I can't tell you, Anna, if DOG is still among the living. The website talked only about DOG's success in tracking down dangerous criminals; said nothing about whether he is still on the job.

Last edited:

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Ken said:
When we lived in Samana, I was told by a pig raiser that all the pigs in the Dominican Republic today are American. I don't recall the details, but he said that some years ago there was a virus that wiped out the pigs that were then being raised in the DR.

He told the truth, Ken. The disease was African Swine Fever, which is a devasting and highly contagious virus that hit the DR in the early 1980's. The only sure way to control the virus is to break the host chain in its life cycle. Many Dominican pigs perished from the disease itself; the remainder were all killed to depopulate the island. The entire island was without pigs for about a year when some American imports trickled in.

All those high quality pigs that my associates and I developed in La Vega, Moca, and San Francisco had to be sacrificed also. :(

The current swine population in the DR was derived from US stock, with a bit of Canadian blood thrown in for good measure.

Today's primary medical obstacle is Hog Cholera, which was found in several Dominican herds in the past 3 or 4 years. Hog Cholera is a viral disease of pigs that produces fever, depression, diarrhea, hemorrhage, and death.

How long do they live? Modern pigs seem to live 5-10 years if you can manage to control their weight and size. If you let them eat at will, they will get huge! Winner of the "Biggest Boar" contest at the Illinois State Fair typically weighs 1,000-1,200 lbs.

Swede

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for jogging my memory, Swede. I now recall that I was told that to stop the spread of the virus it was necessary to kill all the pigs on the island that were still alive.