Pistola

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was in fact addressing the misconceptions of those who have American training and are trying to apply American brandishing laws. If you could understand the posting you would see that it is drawing a distinction between American and Dominican thoughts on self defense. Warning shots, shooting to wound etc. are common place here. All of this could cause a lot of legal trouble in America. Please actually read and understand a posting before commenting.

And I am addressing your misconception of reality here. Never shoot to wound. That would be a gross error. Just because others do it does not make it correct. If someone comes after me or a family member, they will not be alive to tell of it.

If you do as you suggest, it is not the police you will need to be worried about.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I think the reality is that you never know who you are dealing with in DR and their are some real hardcore thugs out there who are not least bit worried about walking up to your front door and knocking on it and shooting you, if you **** them off. Serious thugs are often very well connected and do not fear the system, they live in and out of it their entire lives, and when you can murder someone and be out of jail in 6 months you better be worried if you got one of these after you.
You gotta avoid attention at all costs, there are no macho points between gingos. But if that guy does cross the line, enough for you to draw your weapon then you best be sure you kill him and don't make a fuss about it. If it is deserved then often there is no reprisals. So just make sure that it is deserved.
If you see a guy in your garden and shoot to scare him off and hit and kill him then expect reprisals, he didn't deserve it in the eyes of family and friends. Warning shots are dangerous, shooting to wound is very stupid as you could kill. And if shooting to wound then it is obvious you don't think they deserve death yourself, and so expect his close peeps feel the same.

Be tolerant, but if you shoot, make sure it's to kill. And if he doesn't deserve death then don't shoot. I suppose there are situations where you could make it known you are armed, and that might leave a deterrent in general to neighbours etc. but that's about it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I guess you know reality here better than Dominicans who have lived their whole lives here. Dominicans often shoot to wound and let the crowd and the police finish the justice. There used to be a neighbor here who would see Haitians and Dominican drug addicts scouting out houses during the day. He would fire his gun in the air and tell them next time they were dead. They never came back, no one called the police. I realize that the situation about what we as gringos can do might be more limited. I would never do what the former neighbor did.

I clearly live in a different "hood" than you do. I have been here for 13 years. My wife is Dominican. If someone enters my property there will be no Dominicans to see the issue other than my wife. There will be no choice but to defend myself and to not turn the ending into what happens in any movie where you see the intruder whacked in the head only to get up and....

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
None of which ever get involved in others business and so wouldn't lift a finger to help. I fukcing hate Dominican ethics, that saying they would know what ethics are.

Sep 4, 2012
The statistics on self defense speak for themselves. One thing proponents of the don't draw unless you shoot crowd forget is that criminals do not go to the police. Is Juan really going to say I was in this guy's back yard at 3 AM trying to break into this guy's house and he pointed a gun at me even though I was unarmed. I think not. Again the vast majority of gun self defense is done without anyone actually being shot. That does not mean that they were not a threat. There is a middle ground which the black and white thinking of no draw or draw to kill proponents fail to see.

Then may be owning a gun is not for you at this time -- gun ownership express responsibility and been able to make the "right" decision under pressure and with little to none time to make it. Drawing was a cowboy thing to do in Hollywood.

Take that from a person who knows guns, have used guns all my life and still have guns. "Know to identify your threat, avoid it if possible and kill it if need to be." No even animals are left to be wounded.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am looking into buying a used pistola, one that is legal.
I find the gun stores are very expensive.
Any gringo selling one?

Sooooooooo..... does anyone even remember the OP? Does anyone have a gun to sell to him? If so, send him a PM.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.