Plan moving to Dominican Republic

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
It's about 100 dollars after one year. Here is their website, look under the heading VENTANILLA EXTRANJERIA

Direccion General de Migracion

There are some things I like, some things I don't like; the balance is tilting to the latter. You are young and planning it coming for one year, a very different sitatuation. However, don't expect much in terms of finding employment. That is very difficult.

This link does not work. I'm facing this next week. I've been here since October, 2011. What can I expect to have to pay to escape?
Thanks
Der Fish

Thank you. I'm sure it'll be difficult but nothing in life is easy espeically there.. I feel like i need a break from the American life. I strongly feel it's not the "American dream" anymore:hurt:...But I don't want to get into that lol. But please let me know how that goes and if they question you on your way back? I'd would apperciate it. :classic:

You returning back to USA?

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
If you have the option, ALWAYS request the recipient be paid in US Dolllars. Sure they have an attitude, they can't rip the person off.

They always give me that opition. But now I'll always agree to dollars instead of pesos. I was livid when she told me they didn't give the amount I had sent and I tried dollars and they gave her an attitude. Then she told me to just send dollars instead of pesos bc they obviously got mad bc there wasn't a way to ripp her off..:cross-eye

Thank you:classic:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
So it's better to hand it in pesos rather than dollars? I've noticed that when I send money to DR from western union the amount i send in pesos is about 10 dollars short? BUT if i send and say i want them to hand it out in USD dollars my cousin has told me they get mad or get some sort of attitude problem and state "it's better to get pesos than USD" :confused:

Pay the fine in RD Pesos, it is priced in RD Pesos, less calculation = less room to be jacked on the exchange rate, just common sense.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I plan to move to DR with family relatives. I've been to visit several times, and just LOVE IT!!

it always surprises me to see people who've been here few times, love it and now want to move. why? i have been to germany several times and i loved it there too (it may come as a surprise to germans, i guess :) ). but i never had an urge to drop everything and move there all of a sudden despite the fact that as a fellow EU citizen i would have no logal problems in regards to stay and work there.

can you tell me why DR? is it the weather and climate? coz you can find plenty of hot and humid in america? is it latinos? plenty of them in the states too. nice people? i alawys found americans very friendly as a nation.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
For men, it is the easy way to have women that normally they do w/o in their home turf.

This is a fact!!!!!

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
it always surprises me to see people who've been here few times, love it and now want to move. why? i have been to germany several times and i loved it there too (it may come as a surprise to germans, i guess :) ). but i never had an urge to drop everything and move there all of a sudden despite the fact that as a fellow EU citizen i would have no logal problems in regards to stay and work there.

can you tell me why DR? is it the weather and climate? coz you can find plenty of hot and humid in america? is it latinos? plenty of them in the states too. nice people? i alawys found americans very friendly as a nation.

Sure I can tell you why...I have family there and a grandmother that doesn't have much time and I would love to spend much more time with her before it's too late. REASONS WHY I'D LOVE TO MOVE THERE!!!!!!!!!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
That's what I've heard many from Higuey are employed in Punta Cana. My cousin works in a resort and is telling it's hard finding a job and they're cutting people off because there isn't much tourist coming. Around this season up till November there isn't as much tourisim as it is during nov-april. But I was thinking having about 9,000-10,000 for my stay and hoping i'll find a job for the meantime? But even if i'm bilingual they won't hire me in resorts or tourist areas? I've been doing research but It's hard and feel that I need to physically be in the DR to look for a job. Thank you, for your information :knockedou

IMIG,

I'd encourage you to take a much closer look at your budget. 10k, assuming we're talking U.S. dollars, won't take you very far over the course of a year, unless your family members are covering most or all of your living expenses. If you've got to take care of rent, food, transportation, etc, that budget should be at least twice as high, and that's not including the deposits necessary to secure an apartment, etc.

If on the other hand, you're staying at the family's beach house, and just need to bring your towel and suntan lotion, then you should be fine. Otherwise, be careful.

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
IMIG,

I'd encourage you to take a much closer look at your budget. 10k, assuming we're talking U.S. dollars, won't take you very far over the course of a year, unless your family members are covering most or all of your living expenses. If you've got to take care of rent, food, transportation, etc, that budget should be at least twice as high, and that's not including the deposits necessary to secure an apartment, etc.

If on the other hand, you're staying at the family's beach house, and just need to bring your towel and suntan lotion, then you should be fine. Otherwise, be careful.

Yes, I'll be staying with family and they have their own house& they always provide me with food everytime I go to visit.:classic: Other than that I THINK I should be fine with 10k in dollars, I would hope lol. But I'm still saving I plan to leave mid Decemeber. Thank you :classic:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
That's what I've heard many from Higuey are employed in Punta Cana. My cousin works in a resort and is telling it's hard finding a job and they're cutting people off because there isn't much tourist coming. Around this season up till November there isn't as much tourisim as it is during nov-april. But I was thinking having about 9,000-10,000 for my stay and hoping i'll find a job for the meantime? But even if i'm bilingual they won't hire me in resorts or tourist areas? I've been doing research but It's hard and feel that I need to physically be in the DR to look for a job. Thank you, for your information :knockedou

IMIG (imeaniguess)

If you have US10,000 to spend and family to live with you might not need a whole lot more if you don't like to eat out a lot or eat imported foods and expensive liquors. BTW, there are literally millions of Dominican families living on less than half of this in this country so it certainly is possible, in spite of what some would tell you.

Also, since you are apparently Dominican I wouldn't worry about buying any book written by a gringo tourist about how to "make it" here in the DR. The fact that you are bilingual, have family here and do not live in a tourist area already give you a big advantage. What you need to do is apply common sense and the rest can be filled in by DR1 and your family in Higuey.

I am a gringo myself and never needed a book to figure out what to do here in the DR as most of it is common sense. It does help that I'm ok at speaking Spanish as well.

Finally, never send money with Western Union. They are a ripoff. There are plenty of "Remesa" companies found throughout the US that are just as good and charge a lot less. Look for them at any Hispanic bodega, even Mexican. I once sent money to my wife in Santiago when I was travelling from a Mexican store in South Carolina of all places.

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
IMIG (imeaniguess)

If you have US10,000 to spend and family to live with you might not need a whole lot more if you don't like to eat out a lot or eat imported foods and expensive liquors. BTW, there are literally millions of Dominican families living on less than half of this in this country so it certainly is possible, in spite of what some would tell you.

Also, since you are apparently Dominican I wouldn't worry about buying any book written by a gringo tourist about how to "make it" here in the DR. The fact that you are bilingual, have family here and do not live in a tourist area already give you a big advantage. What you need to do is apply common sense and the rest can be filled in by DR1 and your family in Higuey.

I am a gringo myself and never needed a book to figure out what to do here in the DR as most of it is common sense. It does help that I'm ok at speaking Spanish as well.

Finally, never send money with Western Union. They are a ripoff. There are plenty of "Remesa" companies found throughout the US that are just as good and charge a lot less. Look for them at any Hispanic bodega, even Mexican. I once sent money to my wife in Santiago when I was travelling from a Mexican store in South Carolina of all places.

I don't eat out much probably buy pica pollo or an emapanda once in a while but not often. And I'm not much of a drinker as well. Although in what I would have to probably pay off my pockets is into purchasing an AC and waster/dryer. I'll be happy with those units lol. And they definitely don't live in a tourist area and I love Higuey!! And thank you for your tip about western union because they over charge everytime i go back it's never the same some charge less or charge more. And about common sense yes, I know of that and not to put out my personal information and always keep my guards up:classic:

Thank you :classic:

Jan 17, 2009
I have to congratulate you on your decision to come to the DR to spend time with your family and connect to your roots. My daughter, who had always wanted to connect to her roots just did that for four months (different country). When I asked her why now, she responded "my grandparents are getting old, if not now, I won't have a chance to enjoy them later"

If this is your reason, go for it. You want regret it. You can return to the US any time. Just make sure that you leave the doors open there and stay in touch with friends and former employers/colleagues.

Sure I can tell you why...I have family there and a grandmother that doesn't have much time and I would love to spend much more time with her before it's too late. REASONS WHY I'D LOVE TO MOVE THERE!!!!!!!!!

Dandman

May 17, 2004
My US bank allows me to send wire transfers to my DR bank without any charge. I do it in dollars.

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
I have to congratulate you on your decision to come to the DR to spend time with your family and connect to your roots. My daughter, who had always wanted to connect to her roots just did that for four months (different country). When I asked her why now, she responded "my grandparents are getting old, if not now, I won't have a chance to enjoy them later"

If this is your reason, go for it. You want regret it. You can return to the US any time. Just make sure that you leave the doors open there and stay in touch with friends and former employers/colleagues.

Thank you, for understanding me. Yes, my main reasons why I want to make this move to DR. Because my other grandmother passed away 3 years ago and I had went to visit her a year before she passed away, and for me to know that I was with her a year before she was gone meant a lot ot me. She was my everything, and it really had me depressed she meant a lot ot me, and I don't want this to happen with my only grandmother that I have left. So these are my reasons why I'm making this decision and yes my family and friends are being supportive about it and agree to it. But with what i have saved i'm sure it'll get me by but I still want to have a job (which I know it won't be that easy) So i won't have to depend on the money that i've saved. :nervous: I'm so glad your daughter decided to do that and i'm sure she doesn't regret it at all. And I'm single and have no kids. So it shouldn't be that hard for me to make this move without leaving nothing behind but just my family and friends.:nervous:

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
WHY I'D LOVE TO MOVE THERE!!!!!!!!!
oh, the folly of the youth :)
very well, young man. i am sure you will do well here, dominicans are very family oriented and appreciate spending time together. your 10k dollars a year comes to just over 800 a month, plenty for a single guy whose basic expenses are covered. but it is worth remembering that while dominicans love to share they cannot do it indefinitely. i receive visitors few times a year for a week or two feeding and entertaining them. but i would not want to do this for entire year.
therefore i suggest you budget your 830 dollars a month (about 32k pesos). say, you use 20k for yourself (it's a decent amount, i think) and remaining cash for the family: once a month or so pay for their shopping, buy a whole roasted pig for birthday party, do a river trip for everyone, take them to the cinema or pizza hut. whatever takes your (and their) fancy.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't eat out much probably buy pica pollo or an emapanda once in a while but not often. And I'm not much of a drinker as well. Although in what I would have to probably pay off my pockets is into purchasing an AC and waster/dryer. I'll be happy with those units lol. And they definitely don't live in a tourist area and I love Higuey!! And thank you for your tip about western union because they over charge everytime i go back it's never the same some charge less or charge more. And about common sense yes, I know of that and not to put out my personal information and always keep my guards up:classic:

Thank you :classic:

I don't see a real need to buy a dryer as the sun dries clothes rapidly here. Also, given that electricity becomes progressively expensive with increased consumption with an AC and dryer running you could be looking at US300 a month bill. I pay around US50 a month and have no dryer or AC. I have a large concrete home which helps and also Santiago is cooler than Higuey because of the mountains and the elevation. You still could be looking at a bill of US100 a month or more depending on the ac usage. What a lot of people will do here (for those that have concrete homes) is use the AC for a brief period to cool off the bedroom at night before going to bed.

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
I don't see a real need to buy a dryer as the sun dries clothes rapidly here. Also, given that electricity becomes progressively expensive with increased consumption with an AC and dryer running you could be looking at US300 a month bill. I pay around US50 a month and have no dryer or AC. I have a large concrete home which helps and also Santiago is cooler than Higuey because of the mountains and the elevation. You still could be looking at a bill of US100 a month or more depending on the ac usage. What a lot of people will do here (for those that have concrete homes) is use the AC for a brief period to cool off the bedroom at night before going to bed.

I was just planning to use the AC for a bit just to let my room cool and shut it off (my family owns a concrete home) because I tend to get cold quickly. As for washing clothes. I would just rather buy a washer than a dryer then. Thank you for this important tip.

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
oh, the folly of the youth :)
very well, young man. i am sure you will do well here, dominicans are very family oriented and appreciate spending time together. your 10k dollars a year comes to just over 800 a month, plenty for a single guy whose basic expenses are covered. but it is worth remembering that while dominicans love to share they cannot do it indefinitely. i receive visitors few times a year for a week or two feeding and entertaining them. but i would not want to do this for entire year.
therefore i suggest you budget your 830 dollars a month (about 32k pesos). say, you use 20k for yourself (it's a decent amount, i think) and remaining cash for the family: once a month or so pay for their shopping, buy a whole roasted pig for birthday party, do a river trip for everyone, take them to the cinema or pizza hut. whatever takes your (and their) fancy.

I'm not a guy. I'm a woman. As for buying a whole roasted pig, I don't eat pork. But I'm not leaving anytime soon. By the end of the year mid December I plan to move. But thanks for your advice apperciate it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the important tip is that you can buy gas dryer. very cheap to run. and boy, you will need it because when it rains it pours. last few months have been very wet and i used our dryer with almost every washing load. i have nowhere to put the washing except out and thrown all over the house it took ages to dry...

a woman, then. you may not eat pork but dominicans love it. it's a party food for all occasions, especially semana santa and navidad.

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
the important tip is that you can buy gas dryer. very cheap to run. and boy, you will need it because when it rains it pours. last few months have been very wet and i used our dryer with almost every washing load. i have nowhere to put the washing except out and thrown all over the house it took ages to dry...

a woman, then. you may not eat pork but dominicans love it. it's a party food for all occasions, especially semana santa and navidad.

Thank you. And you recommend a gas washer? I will look into that thank you. And yes, I know they love to eat pork but my family rarely eats it. They eat pork but they prefer chicken :). And I've heard it's been raining and it's going to continue raining.

Thank you:squareeye