Planting Boxes

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Local to the DR?

The plant or the purchase?
The plant is native to South America, used frequently throughout Southeast Asia and the tropics in general.
The purchase however was local to me...Montreal.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Would you be so kind as to show us the tomatoes you planted in the planter boxes. Are they growing as well or did you transplant them?

Farmer

Dec 2, 2003
Agree with flyinroom, I'd go with herbs in planting boxes. Buy veggies. Start successive plantings of herbs. Nothing, absolutely nothing with the word mint gets planted on my property. They should just go ahead and add the word invasive. In a planting box on the second floor, yeah ok.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Agree with flyinroom, I'd go with herbs in planting boxes. Buy veggies. Start successive plantings of herbs. Nothing, absolutely nothing with the word mint gets planted on my property. They should just go ahead and add the word invasive. In a planting box on the second floor, yeah ok.
Add potatoes and batatas to that invasive category. This morning I tore out (a good size duffle bag of them) from my garden. I warned my helper not to plant them about 3 months ago. Took over and was strangulating my tomatoes plants. There was no stopping them. Very much like a sci-fi motion pix. After he dumped them far away I got down on my hands and knees and worked with a hand rake to get all the bits of roots out of the soil. BTW there were no potatoes there, only red roots taking over the whole area and beyond.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Add potatoes and batatas to that invasive category. This morning I tore out (a good size duffle bag of them) from my garden. I warned my helper not to plant them about 3 months ago. Took over and was strangulating my tomatoes plants. There was no stopping them. Very much like a sci-fi motion pix. After he dumped them far away I got down on my hands and knees and worked with a hand rake to get all the bits of roots out of the soil. BTW there were no potatoes there, only red roots taking over the whole area and beyond.
Always best to grow potatoes in a tub of some kind. Like the bottom of a 55 gallon plastic drum. When you harvest, just dump it over, pull out the potatoes and shovel the soil back in for next batch.