Playa Dorada Golf - what's up with the Caddies?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Grahame,

Can you tell me how much a membership at Playa Dorada costs?
:cheeky: ;) :cheeky: There is a LONG & complicated story that could go with this suzannel ........ :cheeky: ;) :cheeky: :ermm: I will keep it brief for the sake of others not interested in my fights at Playa Dorada!!

If You are a Dominican, membership to Playa Dorada Golf club WAS RD $19,500 up front & then RD $400 per month after one year's membership. There are additional green fees of RD $400 per round (or WERE - things have a habit of changing here!!)

HOWEVER (& this has been my bone with them for the last 10 years) an Ex-Pat resident has to pay US $2,500 upfront. All other charges remain the same. To ME, US $2,500 x 35.00 to convert to pesos is an excessive increase for being an Ex-Pat who wishes to join. RD $87,500 vesus RD $19,500 is a hard increase to be able to accept & I didn't/don't!!

Are you a RESIDENT of the DR? Do you have Fedogolf membership? (if you don't know about FedoGolf, do a search in the seach function where ALL will be revealed!).

A new course (La Colonia) is due to open next year on the left just passed Star Hills - I think competition might well get prices down a bit at the end of 2009!! Be patient & consider FedoGolf membership for at least a year if you play Playa Dorada, Playa Grande & Santiago courses on a regular basis. If you play OTHER courses & you choose the right time of the year (off season May until Septmber generally) you can get ONE free round at each & then it is (normally) 50% of regular costs each round. ~ Grahame.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Thank you Grahame,

I am not a full-time resident. We spend 5 to 6 months in the winter. I agree the difference in costs beween ex-pats and dominicans is excessive.
I have heard about the new golf course so I will look forward to it's opening.
I will look into Fedogolf thanks for the info.

Thank you for the info.

Suzanne

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Who should I talk to about a sending people to the Playa Dorada golf course on a commercial basis, e.g. to get commercial rate for my customers or a commission on the business sent their way?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Go to: Ing. Miguel Jim?nez Mess?n, one of the owners or Juan Luis Hazim GM.

Lily00

Dec 3, 2008
Action

When you have a problem like this with a caddy, asking you a tip (which is totally optional), please go to the Caddy master and the Pro and tell them what they said (provide them the caddy # and name) they will sanction the caddy and he won't be able to work for a few days, which will show him not to charge for something that is supose to come out of the clients satisfaction in the first place. but do not keep hiding this problems to the main people in the golf course, because next time he will ask you to buy him a car!!
Good luck! :cheeky:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Go to: Ing. Miguel Jim?nez Mess?n, one of the owners or Juan Luis Hazim GM.
Juan Luis Hazim is now the EX General Manager of the Golf Course planner - he & Chio fell out I gather & he left five months ago. To quote a recent post ...........
"I can't believe you didn't know this"!! :cheeky::cheeky::ermm:

conchman.
Best to talk along the lines of reduced (Commercial) rates for the clients you can send - he seems to respond more to that than 'commissions' as he sees more business for the golf course via reduced rates! You might like to talk about referring on his 'soon to be built' villas to your commercial clients!! Now there you CAN talk commissions as it is standard business practice in Realty deals. ~ Grahame

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I inquired about a membership at playa dorada a wk. ago and was told $2,000.00 US,getting tired of the ride to Santiago.

GardenCraft

Jun 12, 2007
I can relate to this situation. Here's my Playa Dorada story;

I was caddied by a lovely little chap who spoke very good English. He was kind enough to only demand US$50 for nine holes. I counter-offered $500 pesos. By the 6th hole his badgering was starting to affect my game so I had to ban him from coming within 20 yards of the cart. It seemed to work. We eventually settled after the game (begrudgingly for both of us) on 250 pesos.

It would make sense to sort out the caddy fee before teeing off but I've had half-arsed results where the caddy thought he was worth more so he delivered less.
Now the caddy gets incentive paid; 500 pesos if he's good and 250 pesos if he's not.
I find the caddies at metro and guavaberry to be the best and most consistent. Ramon (with the limp) was very good at Las Lagunas.

I'll be playing Playa Grande this weekend- any suggestions caddy-wise?
kev

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I inquired about a membership at playa dorada a wk. ago and was told $2,000.00 US,getting tired of the ride to Santiago.
Could WELL be manfongo, these things go UP & down at a moments notice as we all know!!

Being a member of a golf CLUB has it's advantages & I would in no way try to disuade you from joining Puerto Plata Golf Club. However, let me suggest two alternatives to anyone who lives here but does not want to be a MEMBER of the club just to play more cheaply at Playa Dorada.

The Golf COURSE is run seperately from the Puerto Plata Golf Club. By talking to Chio & IF you have Residencia Permanente, you should be able to negotiate a 'Residents' rate which is quite a bit lower than 'normal off season rates'!

Further, if you are a member of Santiago Golf Club (where the mebership fees are substantially lower I gather) then you should be allowed to play at greatly reduced rates at Playa Dorada - around RD $600 per round I believe.

As I said earlier, I am not trying to persuade you to take one of these routes - just offering up alternatives which were not suggested to me for over 6 years of talking to the players at the golf course! Hope this is useful to you in making your decision & I look forward to meeting you at the course sometime!! ~ Grahame, :pirate: (sorry, no 'birdies' among the smilies!!)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
GrahameL I understand a Fedogolf membership is for the calendar year, and no proration is done. So one should wait until 2009 to join.

I also understand it takes 4 forevers for you to actually get a membership card.

Is that correct?

Is it possible to have a card expedited? And does a FG membership allow for a members' guest to play at a discount?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
GrahameL I understand a Fedogolf membership is for the calendar year, and no proration is done. So one should wait until 2009 to join.
That USED to be the case Robert but last year I believe they changed it because MINE is now effective until Feb 2009 (as opposed to the usual 1st of January). Why not apply now for it to commence in Jan 2009?

I also understand it takes 4 forevers for you to actually get a membership card.

Is that correct?
Speak with Mariel if she is still there & get her to send it to Jarabacoa golf club or alternatively Santiago. It might be necessary to phone her a couple of times to confirm it HAS been sent. Get her to give you the card number & you will be 'All Set to Go' even without the official card!!

Is it possible to have a card expedited? And does a FG membership allow for a members' guest to play at a discount?
Part ;A' is answered above ......
Part 'B' ............. You JEST of course?? No Ever Loving Way!! Come up north & 'Talk' sometime!! ~ Grahame.

shojee

Aug 19, 2007
Hi all. We just returned from Puerto Plata. We stayed at the Barcelo and played golf at the Playa Dorada. I am wondering if Suzannel's experience is an isolated one. We had a great caddie and we didn't experience any of the above characteristics. At about the 16th hole, the caddie asked us if we knew how the "tipping" worked - politely... and we said yes. We tipped him 700 ps and he was happy. No argument, didn't look upset...and he was a good caddie. We tried to golf again later on in the week, but there was a tournament...but I would go again.
Trip was wonderful. Went outside the resort a few times. The Barcelo is a beautiful resort, but the staff didn't seem happy. I don't mind serving myself for coffee in the morning etc, but the staff would say "I do it" and never return...I did tip the service staff - all of them of the resort but there were probably only 2 happy, bubbly staff that made you feel welcome. The vendors were quite aggressive but still manageable. Brought a suitcase full of toys and got swarmed...but those faces....I will do that again and again. Took a couple of tours. Had a wonderful time.

dingdongdenny

Jan 6, 2007
hi grahame
will be back jan 29 for a week looking for a couple of games this time .
you up for the company
denis

Yachtguy1

Sep 30, 2008
Caddy Tip

Hello guys,

I recently played a round at the public course in Casa De Campo in La Romana and if what you are saying is accurate, I must have gotten lucky. The course was oceanside and BEAUTIFUL, and I paid no caddy fee. The guy who accompanied us was awesome. He spent thirty minutes on the range with my DR girlfriend (200 peso tip), accompanied me on the course and was not only polite but had great course information (the kid is an 8 handicap!) After all was said and done, I gave him an extra 750 RD and he was VERY happy, even giving me his personal cell phone for future appointments on other courses.

GREAT EXPERIENCE! Go to Casa De Campo if you want a superior round of golf with ocean breezes and stunning views. 110 slope rating and creative shot selections. The caddy's name is Dominican Joe..tell him Mark from NY sent you!

Yachtguy1

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
hi grahame
will be back jan 29 for a week looking for a couple of games this time .
you up for the company
denis
Hi Denis,
If it is YOUR company then I will 'give this question serious thought' over a beer or two :cheeky: :pirate: :cheeky:

PM me as to where you are staying. 29th I see is a Thursday so the weekend sounds like a good time to play our first round either at Playa Dorada or the more beautiful Playa Grande (before it closes in April). ~ Grahame.;)

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Let me assure you suzannel that talking to the OWNER (even if you can get to see him) will not get you anywhere!! Try having a quiet word with Johny the Pro explaining that you are doing so to stop the course getting a very bad name for exploitive caddies who try hard to ruin your game (& hence you will not be back again - loss of earnings for the club etc!!). Also, have a word with Rafael the starter - he doesn't like hassle either!!

Have you visited Playa Grande?? That is virtually the same distance from Cabarete but may in fact be a few minutes less to get to because less traffic!! OK, so it is a few US$'s more but the course IS fantastic, the caddies ARE (generally) more appreciative & the views are .......... Pure Pebble Beach(ish). Just don't buy club sandwiches from the cart going round unless you can afford a second mortgage!!

If you go down there, tell Luis I said 'Hi' & that you want a GOOD caddie that won't overcharge you!

Go far & Go straight ~ Grahame.

Could not agree more. Playa Dorada is a ****ty course, Playa Grande amazing. Even if the paid me I would not play Playa Dorada AND I completely lost my faith in Golf Digest when they ranked Playa Dorada as 1 of the 100 best courses outside US... Maybe 1 of the 10000000000000000 best courses

Status
Not open for further replies.