Playa Doradas situation?

N

Nanu

Does anyone know about the Play Doradas situation now in specific? I have heard that there are little problems, because there is no tourists. Any info needed!:)

O

Ove

Hi Nanu! I was returning just before the Easter. There was practically no tourists at all in Playa Dorada, but Cabarete was more crowded. Anyway, Crazy Moon was still packed with people....

G

Grahame Bush

Here we go again!!

Playa Dorada is alive & Kicking - Thank you very much for asking, ALL IS WELL.

Just before Easter was some time ago & the hotels run down because of the forthcoming Samana Santa (Easter Week). Traffic through Playa Dorada gets changed about quite a bit during this period & over the Easter weekend irself, the place is crowded with Dominicans up from Santiago & Santo Domingo - it is the place to come!!

PLEASE folks, Puerto Plata tourism is still here (slower than the late 90's agreed but picking up as I write) see DR1 news sheets for this week, Canadian AND British are increasing their flights here & demand from those countries is growing. American interest is also improving whilst Scandinavians can't get enough of this warm climate!!

Have a good stay!!! Grahame ^_^

M

martin

Luperon is doing great too !!!

As our friendly neighbours in Playa Dorada, we are doing just fine, great ambiance in our hotels, many english down here... We might not be full, but the guests are really enjoying themselves !!! So don't hesitate to visit us !!!

N

Nanu

Re: Here we go again!!

hi!

thank you for the information. i have read the news but i wanted to hear real opinions from different people. i?m coming to live there (and hopefully get a job) on december and just wanted to make sure that the rumours i have heard about the situation being very bad are not true..
thanks for everyone!
have a nice summer!
nanu

B

Berni

Re: Luperon is doing great too !!!

Hi Martin,

Just have to ask you something...do you have a hotel in Luperon, because I'm looking for a job over there....can you help ???
Hope to hear from you,
Berni

O

Ove

Hi again Nanu!
I tried to get a job as well, but didn`t got one. Because of the lowseason, according to all the people I talked to. But I will be back in September. Think that from that point everything will be easyer. At least for a scandinavian like me... Good luck!!

L

Luperon Tourist

2 resorts in Luperon

Yes, there are a two resorts in Luperon. (1 resort + 1 hotel)

They actually are inside the same complex and must belong to the owners.

The resort is good, i would rate it 4*, unfortunatly the beach is good but doesn?t have big palmtrees and it is quite rocky when you enter the water (you can only bath in the east part)

Luperon is about 40 kms away from P Plata, the road really sucks because it is quite narrow and twisty, so expect 1 hour driving of layed back driving go get there.

The ambiance is quite nice...

I personally only desliked the only rent-a-car (or should I say rent a WRECK!) that was operating there..

G

Grahame Bush

For Nanu & Ove.

As you are thinking of coming to live here, maybe I can offer some words of wisdom/advice about this area. Drop me an e-mail telling me something about yourselves & I will respond with what I consider to be the sensible way to succeed in the Puerto Plata area. The more info you give me, the better will be my ability to assist. - G ^_^

K

Kristiina

Re: For Nanu & Ove.

I heared that there aren't a lot of tourists in Playa Dorada right now. I came home a mounth ago but I have good contact to my boss there (Inter Hispaniola) and he said that everybody are only waiting for the next season to start. At least the season for Scandinavians starts in October. I'm going back then but before that it's good to hear some news. CU in POP again!!! and Nanu much before that ;)

C

CPaulino

Occupation is down to almost 50% or less, based on reports I read in the economic section of papers here. So have the beah all to yourself!

M

martin

Re: Luperon is doing great too !!!

Sorry Berni, I don't have any hotel... Just a small business, and if you think of living down here, why don't you come for a visit, and you might have a better idea afterwards...

N

Nanu

Hi Ove!

How long was your stay in DR before you got home? I stayed there 4 months from December to March. Where did u lived? I?m just curious to know other persons comments about living in DR. I enjoyed myself totally. I?m sure that the situation there is getting better, this is just temporary...
Sunny days Ove!
Nanu

P

Phyllis

Re: For Nanu & Ove.

There are not many tourists from June - September in the Playa Dorada complex, but this doesn't mean anything! In fact, it's still a great time to visit... less people = less line ups, less competition, better deals and still the wonderful Dominican people and culture! I just find this time of year to be very hot, but I'm from COLD Canada! Go, enjoy anytime of year!

O

Ove

For Phyllis

My intention was to get a job there, because I want to live there permanently. Since I didn`t got a job I had to leave. I am absolutely of the same opinion as you: less people are good. -If you are a tourist! (Sounds nice with the hot weather.... It`s cold here in Norway as well!) I miss DR!!!