Please help with ideas to fill the suitcases with Christmas gifts.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, My daughter managed to find Spanish/English junior "Dora the Explorer" Scrabble and sent me two sets which I took to the Orphanage Hogar Tardiff last Monday. It was very popular along with Frisbees that were donated by Professor HB's son. Take the advice of others here but try and ensure that any adults involved do not take what they want for their family before distributing to the intended kids. I think that it is better to dole out a little at a time rather than one big load.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Thanks for helping!

Question: how are the Dominican kids going to read from English books? I thought they didn't teach English in the schools; perhaps I am misinformed?

No they can take English, I'm not sure if it is compulsory in all schools, or infact if all offer, but kids around 10, 11, 12 seem very excited by speaking English. The kids that visit our house to play are always into the English books, searching through the dictionary, playing schools etc. They come with homework in hand for help once a week. A lot depends on the parents I think as to how good they are or even if they take it, but all that we know have the want to learn. Illustrated books, basics are brilliant. Cat, Dog, Cow, Elephant etc. Worth their weight in gold for the younger ones, literally as the price pesos is just ridiculous. Best advise I can give is to head down to the local charity shop, buy whatever they have. No point in buying new at new prices as although they want to learn, it still doesn't change the fact that Doms will destroy things, any things pretty quickly.:alien:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There is a closeout store chain named Ollie's near me. They have a huge book department, and I have had remarkable luck buying kids books in Spanish or Spanish-English there for my grandsons. Even found a boxed set of small Disney books in Spanish. Most of them were about $2.99, originally published at $10-20. Best buy was an electronic book, in Spanish, that reads it out loud to the child as they turn each page, comes in a heavy duty plastic case.

If you don't have an Ollie's, see whatever other off-priced store is near you.

AE

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
There is a closeout store chain named Ollie's near me. They have a huge book department, and I have had remarkable luck buying kids books in Spanish or Spanish-English there for my grandsons. Even found a boxed set of small Disney books in Spanish. Most of them were about $2.99, originally published at $10-20. Best buy was an electronic book, in Spanish, that reads it out loud to the child as they turn each page, comes in a heavy duty plastic case.

If you don't have an Ollie's, see whatever other off-priced store is near you.

AE

Rats, no Ollies around here. Will try Big Lots.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i always bring condoms for the high school my husband works at. i know the idea was nixed, but it is a valid one. a lot of public high schools have them available for their students. i buy them at the local university for 4 cents a piece, fill up a carry on and wait for the weird looks at customs.

for small gifts for people, i get scented candles (usually cinnamon is a hit) in the little jars. panties for women, undershirts for men. socks. and school supplies (but not notebooks, too heavy)

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
i always bring condoms for the high school my husband works at. i know the idea was nixed, but it is a valid one. a lot of public high schools have them available for their students. i buy them at the local university for 4 cents a piece, fill up a carry on and wait for the weird looks at customs.

for small gifts for people, i get scented candles (usually cinnamon is a hit) in the little jars. panties for women, undershirts for men. socks. and school supplies (but not notebooks, too heavy)

So you give the condoms to a DR high school? And they appreciate this?

I am back in DR now and did bring school supplies (Spanish-English dictionary, notebooks, folders, crayons and colored pencils, pencil cases, regular pencils & pens, erasers, flash cards for math, flash cards for pre-schoolers but in English). Could NOT find Spanish language kids books! Have a friend who will have her family bring some from Mexico for next trip though. But this time brought many kids books in English; hope they are useful and needed. Also brought kids socks, kids shoes, Matchbox cars, modeling clay, coloring books, toothbrushes & Colgate toothpaste I found on sale. And for adults, a few small brand name perfumes, high quality nail polishes, & Leatherman pocket knives.

Will try to see how well all the above are received, but difficult to judge if people are just being polite.....

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Bats aren't cheap anymore, and the last time I tried to bring one in it disappeared before I got to customs.

Another thing would be those $1 tap lights that run on batteries. Batteries are expensive but it would be esp good for rural areas.

Hi PeterInBrat,
I managed to get a very nice metal bat through Customs! Also a box of baseballs. Couldn't find those tap lights though. Did find inexpensive LED flashlights though.

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
Just recently came back from Punta Cana and took 20 baseballs, scissors, glue sticks, crayons, markers, paper tablets, pencils and every time we visit, my dentist donates toothbrushes and toothpaste. The teachers appreciate stickers, post-its and items they can integrate into the school day from the teaching side. If you are staying at a resort, bring along some small gifts for your maid. I usually bring personal items and two days worth of boy and girl specific items. It is all part of the trip planning experience for us.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I understand the concept and need for donating school supplies, etc. etc. to schools and institutions for kids; but for it to make an impact, wouldn't it be necessary to bring a large number of any particular item? I'm sure the recipients are happy to get whatever is given, but does it make sense to bring a dozen pens and notebooks when there might be 20, 30, 40 kids in a class? AND, although I applaud giving whatever one is able to, I think in the case of tips for the maids in the resorts, it makes MUCH more sense to give them cash. The whole concept of the toiletries and little gifts for the kids is great if you're ALSO tipping them with cash, but as a substitute for money; I think it falls short of the need, despite all the good intentions.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
I like to get toothbrushes and toothpaste from the dollar store. Some of the packs come with 2 or 3 toothbrushes, for families with more than one child. Also they have like Spiderman, Hello Kitty, the Incredible Hulk, and other character toothbrushes. Just be aware that in some places you may be given the stink face for bringing AIM toothpaste when they expect COLGATE. Just don't even give them a chance to say anything. You are doing a good thing, go away with a good feeling.

SHALENA

I do bring Aim and Ultrabrite toothpaste. Walmart sells them for 87 cents. Diapers and wipes are more expensive there. Mouth wash, A&D ointment, baby powder, chocolate candy such as snickers, kit kat, reese's, other candy like twizzlers, starburst. Also small fans that you can get for < $10 at Home Depot are most welcome as they are never on sale there. And yes, I agree as well, you are doing a good thing.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I understand the concept and need for donating school supplies, etc. etc. to schools and institutions for kids; but for it to make an impact, wouldn't it be necessary to bring a large number of any particular item? I'm sure the recipients are happy to get whatever is given, but does it make sense to bring a dozen pens and notebooks when there might be 20, 30, 40 kids in a class? AND, although I applaud giving whatever one is able to, I think in the case of tips for the maids in the resorts, it makes MUCH more sense to give them cash. The whole concept of the toiletries and little gifts for the kids is great if you're ALSO tipping them with cash, but as a substitute for money; I think it falls short of the need, despite all the good intentions.

I have the same question about whether it's better to bring say 30 of one item vs a few of this and that.....does anyone actually know? Seems like not everyone in a class might "need" a notebook or pen; some could be more needy than others generally or be lacking in different items. But that's just an assumption on my part.

This is first time I had real room in my luggage (because we have lived in DR long enough to have what we need already here). I was trying to get the best "bang for my buck" by buying supplies that were on clearance in the USA. So I got large amounts of some things, but small amounts others, by necessity with this strategy.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Haven't read the whole topic, but my experience here says they will receive all things with well meant gratitude. If they personally do not need it, they will make sure somebody who does will get it...

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Haven't read the whole topic, but my experience here says they will receive all things with well meant gratitude. If they personally do not need it, they will make sure somebody who does will get it...

That makes it easier, thanks for telling me this.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008

I looked up Marmite online and I did find a very small size of it at Whole Foods. Bought it to try it, but my bag was overweight so had to leave it in USA till next trip.

I live in Cabarete; if you live close enough, I would be happy to bring some back for you next time. But I warn you, the small jar cost nearly US$5!!

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I have the same question about whether it's better to bring say 30 of one item vs a few of this and that.....does anyone actually know? Seems like not everyone in a class might "need" a notebook or pen; some could be more needy than others generally or be lacking in different items. But that's just an assumption on my part.

Depends on if you are buying for the teacher and/or how well you know the kids. (Even teachers will sell the stuff, so you have to watch out for that.) Although I like to bring books for kids, I always try to donate them to a school or existing library (there are some out there) if possible. That way more kids get to use them. If you are going to be doing this, build a relationship with a teacher or school director, you'll be able to see without them telling you what is most needed.

If each person did what you are doing, it would make a dent. Seeing a kid smile because they get a shiny pen or or a fancy notebook is worth it to me. And yes, if someone can't use what you bring, they'll give it to someone who can. I usually just buy what I can when it's on sale. Backpacks are ridiculously cheap AFTER school starts, and is one of the items I also bring.

You've probably gotten some feedback from now, what was the reaction?

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I understand the concept and need for donating school supplies, etc. etc. to schools and institutions for kids; but for it to make an impact, wouldn't it be necessary to bring a large number of any particular item? I'm sure the recipients are happy to get whatever is given, but does it make sense to bring a dozen pens and notebooks when there might be 20, 30, 40 kids in a class?

No, I don't think you need to have the same items for every kid. If there isn't enough for every kid, there is always a way to share. Teachers also need so many things that bringing a few sharpies, a few notepads, a few boxes of chalk, a few clipboards, a few rolls of tape makse sense. Teachers can also use class sets--so five packs of markers can be used by groups of kids, same with crayons, scissors, etc. Better to have a variety of things than to have too much of something no-one can use.

If you don't have enough to give something to everyone, then everyone gets to share what there is.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Depends on if you are buying for the teacher and/or how well you know the kids. (Even teachers will sell the stuff, so you have to watch out for that.) Although I like to bring books for kids, I always try to donate them to a school or existing library (there are some out there) if possible. That way more kids get to use them. If you are going to be doing this, build a relationship with a teacher or school director, you'll be able to see without them telling you what is most needed.

If each person did what you are doing, it would make a dent. Seeing a kid smile because they get a shiny pen or or a fancy notebook is worth it to me. And yes, if someone can't use what you bring, they'll give it to someone who can. I usually just buy what I can when it's on sale. Backpacks are ridiculously cheap AFTER school starts, and is one of the items I also bring.

You've probably gotten some feedback from now, what was the reaction?

No, I haven't given any out yet. Just got back this weekend from the USA with a relative in tow. But based on what you wrote and similar other helpful feedback, tomorrow I am going to a school with a load of this stuff. Hope they speak at least a bit of English. If they are going to use the English kids books, they better, right?

I sure wish my Spanish was better; learning through "osmosis" isn't working as I had hoped. I recently enrolled in Spanish classes, but I am pathetic still.