Police harrasing tourists for money ?

Naked_truth777

May 11, 2006
well it does not happen in US

well it does not happen in US and I'm law abiding American citizen

it is a huge huge minus for reputation of any country . It is actually good if tourist has made a minor violation . tourist avoids hurdles of bureaucracy and cops get beer money .

But unlawful stops and harassment must be stopped . I wish more people would file complaints with US and DR governments

If that happens to me I would surely get very ****ed and it is not even a money issue it is the issue of being free of illegal harassments

Naked_truth777

May 11, 2006
The real reason that got me very worried is a gun pulling . Especially if stop or shakedown was unlawful .
In many countries including US and even Russia police chiefs are admitting that in case of unlawful assault on the citizen of any country by police officer that citizen can protect himself to the point of taking that officer's life .

I'm a former martial art full contact practitioner and I have very fast reflexes and I do not want to murder anyone and I hope that nonsense does not happen to me .

Once in 3 rd world country Border patrol at airport told me I did not pack my carriage properly and after I told him that there is no such law he just politely smiled and asked for money . Not much , but still . It is not issue of money , but respect dignity being free of harassment .

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
well it does not happen in US and I'm law abiding American citizen

it is a huge huge minus for reputation of any country . It is actually good if tourist has made a minor violation . tourist avoids hurdles of bureaucracy and cops get beer money .

But unlawful stops and harassment must be stopped . I wish more people would file complaints with US and DR governments

If that happens to me I would surely get very ****ed and it is not even a money issue it is the issue of being free of illegal harassments

Take it easy Karate Man.

It just may be that you and DR are not meant to be.

If you are happy with your ideology then stay where you are. I dislike when people come here to change things for "the better".

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
This will never change it's a habit turning to a culture

Local are always harrassed at all kind of way from the police
just starting that you cant even chill at the bodega or play
dominoes outside without being ask for money from the police.

Now that they see there not much to get from a local they
go for the tourist.

I remenber this idiot that stopped me in Bonao on the way to Santo Domingo
I didnt have pesos on me other than USD and Canadian Dollar I gave the idiot $10 US dollar for "forgiveness" Then he changed his mind and told me to he will rather to take the Euro from me jejej the Canadian 5 dollar bill I told him no problem here you go give me the 10 USD and have the 5 Euro (Canadian Dollar) for my next trip I will bring Canadian Tire money and Monopoly dollar.

The USA and Dominican Rep. are clear aware of the whole thing nothing can be done unless the USA Punish Dominican Rep by no allowing US Citizen to travel to DR. Unless something is done for the safety of the local and the tourist.

Again we all know that nothing will be done at ALLLLLLL unless people start travelling to a different country.

In one way is better as it is right now because tourist can get away with watever they please as long as they have money much or little but enough to give to the crops.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
I think Karate Man is correct, and that anyone suffering police harassment should go immediately to the US Embassy and file a report and complain, and follow up. Things are too quiet there.

Then again, the Embassy might counter with their own warnings for the DR posted on the US State Department's website: Quote ": SAFETY AND SECURITY: American citizens should be aware that foreign tourists are often considered attractive targets for criminal activity, and should maintain a low profile to avoid becoming victims of violence or crime. In dealing with local police, U.S. citizens should be aware that the standard of professionalism might vary. Police attempts to solicit bribes have been reported, as have incidents of police using excessive force."

Regarding using your lightning fast reflexes against a Dominican cop, no matter what he's trying to do, good luck with that. You'll end up with a toe tag in the morgue faster than you can scream "Hai Yaaah", and more bullet holes in your dead body than Trujillo's last sedan. So much for respect.

In my humble experiences, humor usually works a lot better here than in-their-face reactions, and so does just saying "no".

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Wikki

In my humble experiences, humor usually works a lot better here than in-their-face reactions, and so does just saying "no".
True.
When I was returning from La Sirena in SFdM one day I got into a PN check.
A young officer asked me about 'fuego' (obviously armas de fuego). I told him that I do not smoke.
Then his boss with a strong smell of alcohol stuck his head into my car and on seeing the supermarkets bags just stuttered "wikki'" ?
I said I don't drink...
A bit frustrated he waved me on.
Nice guys... :bunny:

donP

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
....Then his boss with a strong smell of alcohol stuck his head into my car and on seeing the supermarkets bags just stuttered "wikki'" ?
I said I don't drink...
A bit frustrated he waved me on.
Nice guys... :bunny:

donP

At first I thought "How does a bibulous cop know about wikipedia.....?" :p

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I get pulled over and asked for donations by cops regularly in Santiago (twice a year or so) Most often on Sundays when there is less traffic. Also when I drive to the beach I am invariably waved over at checkpoints and asked for a tip.

Always in a friendly way, but being politely asked for free money by a man with a gun is not a pleasant experience.

Either of two responses works real well,

a) sorry no Spanish
b) sorry no money

As long as you are polite and keep up the happy friendly charade while being firm there is little chance of problems.

Of course, if you are breaking the law, its a totally different story.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I get pulled over and asked for donations by cops regularly in Santiago (twice a year or so).......

Twice a year? I wish I was so lucky. Last few trips have been twice a week and one time twice in one day. Maybe Santo Domingo has a higer "pull over" rating.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
The thing is I am pretty well known in Santiago (it's a small town regardless of its size) and have a unique appearance so it is hard to mistake me for someone else. I am sure this contributes to the degree to which I get left alone. Whenever I venture outside my usual stomping ground I get hassled right away.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Now that takes the cake!!
It happened to me tonight.
They got nowt and we all parted friends.

I honestly thought I was immune as I know all the fuzz and they know me. But there are a bunch of new coppers working for Semana Santa.

Apparently one of my lights was not working. (I have the family here so I am driving a rental car at the moment.) That would have been a fair cop so I apologised and asked for the ticket. I said I would pass it along to the rental company.
I actually wanted the ticket so I could give it to the rental guys. I kept asking for a ticket but they flat refused to give me one.
Where is the justice when you need it?

Now I feel bad. They were in the right this time but could not be bothered to follow it through.

Ah well.... I will buy them a beer next time if they are still working the area.

I am a tough crowd so it seems...

Reactions: Keith R

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Ive been stopped several times in the capital at night... A persistent "cop" can always find something no matter how legit you may be. I don't like to take chances for peanuts. A folded RD$50 bill and I am on my way. Less than a buck fifty to save me aggravation. I have never had a cop say to me that wasnt enough. I know... some will say its the principle... to each there own.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
The real reason that got me very worried is a gun pulling . Especially if stop or shakedown was unlawful .
In many countries including US and even Russia police chiefs are admitting that in case of unlawful assault on the citizen of any country by police officer that citizen can protect himself to the point of taking that officer's life .

I'm a former martial art full contact practitioner and I have very fast reflexes and I do not want to murder anyone and I hope that nonsense does not happen to me .

Once in 3 rd world country Border patrol at airport told me I did not pack my carriage properly and after I told him that there is no such law he just politely smiled and asked for money . Not much , but still . It is not issue of money , but respect dignity being free of harassment .

Thanks for the chuckles grasshopper..The Naked truth is that with your thoughts of murdering a DR cop are boarderline insane and scary. Listen up Danialson, Lift one of your quicker then the speed of light fingers towards a officer and it will be the bigest mistake you could ever make in your fantasy world. You will be full of Dominican bullets, and if your super hero self survives. you will spend the rest of your chuck norris wanna be life in a nice comfy Dominican prison.
I really think you are better off staying home, where you cant hurt anyone, or yourself. And i am still laughing at ya, your not gonna murder me? are ya..

May 5, 2007
Remarks like Naked's always remind me of the "Choirboys" when some idiot went into all sortssof "Karate" stances, screaming unintelligible words and Spermwhale Whalen (LAPD Cop) looked at him, took his flashlight, yelled "Eveready and cracked his head

Dude.

Please.

Just stop it...