Politicians resort to offer meals to entice votes

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Campaña-con-comida-N-Digital-1024x592.png

The new modality of political parties celebrating events where generous meals are offered to gain supporters, N Digital reports. Sancocho, dumplings, chicken with rice (locrio), and even spaghetti in red sauce are being used to lure voters to political activities.

Read more in Spanish:N Digital

18 January 2024

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This is so cheap and insulting. I couldn't be hungry enough to acept even a grain of rice from them.
This has been going on for years.
Shows the level of respect Dominican politicians have for their constituants.

Back when living in La Joya I watched them bring in plastic bags full of cheap sweets, pampas, leche, cereal along with healthly drinks like Kola Real for the peasants.

In order to receive these prized treats they had to provide their name/ cedula information to what appeared to be a registration form.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
This has been going on for years.
Shows the level of respect Dominican politicians have for their constituants.

Back when living in La Joya I watched them bring in plastic bags full of cheap sweets, pampas, leche, cereal along with healthly drinks like Kola Real for the peasants.

In order to receive these prized treats they had to provide their name/ cedula information to what appeared to be a registration form.

Around my parts one will get a box of groceries just because they are traditionally from one political party or another. At Xmas and before elections.

You get hard cash for everything else.
Turn up for a " political rally" on your motorbike ? Get cash for gas and a new tire.

And then there is upright buying votes. A candidate turned up at MIL's 2 days ago. Explaining how MIL should vote for him/her, cos extended family, blablabla. I said 4k pesos and it's a done deal. Politician said it sounded fair 🤣🤣🤣.

P.S. yes I do find it appalling that one would vote with their wallet and not for a program.
However all politicians are a bunch of thieves, and MIL needs the dough, so there is that.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Yep, one of Amable Aristys favorite passtimes
Amable,.. it was one of his favorite pastimes to drop gifts from a helicopter. This gifting from politicians is nothing new, the meals are a new twist of the practice. The kicker is some of the money to fund these political giveaways comes from the treasury, an allowance to support campaigning.

Regards,

PJT

Reactions: JD Jones
Aug 21, 2007
This is a reflection of lack of education and personal value. It is how politicians secure their power with those most dependent.

A very sad reflection of the culture here.

It is why Strength for the Journey believes that education is the only true path to emerge from the grasps of politicians and poverty.

There is a better future coming but it will not be in my lifetime. I personally am only planting seeds.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
This is a reflection of lack of education and personal value. It is how politicians secure their power with those most dependent.

A very sad reflection of the culture here.

It is why Strength for the Journey believes that education is the only true path to emerge from the grasps of politicians and poverty.

There is a better future coming but it will not be in my lifetime. I personally am only planting seeds.
I think generation Z will bring some change. They seem smarter. Better at English for instance. In the capital.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I remember one year when Amable threw 2 lb sausages from a helicopter causing a few injuries shades of Les Nessmen throwing frozen turkeys if you ever watched US tv show WKRP in Cincinnati.
Was a huge Fan of the Show,
but Les Nessman never threw Frozen Turkeys from the Helicopter.
Because the Punchline at the end of the the whole Long joke was
" I swear to God I thought those Turkeys Could FLY" ..which was the Owner of the Station
Who was the one in the Helicopter
Less was reporting it Live,
They were Farm Turkeys and dropped like Rocks .

Reactions: CFA123

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Years ago, my mother in-laws' brother was running for some political office. He was going to be giving away some type of food. I can still hear her yelling at him that if he did that, not only would she or the family not vote for him, but he would also not be allowed in her house again. She told him that people do not need food just at election time, they need the help all the time.