POP to Las Terrenas with Caribe Tours

Gma

Jul 9, 2007
Hey!
How much would it cost for a busticket from Puerto Plata Airport to Las Terrenas? (In november in the afternoon :) )
And how long is the trip: hours/km?

Can you rent a car at POP and deliver it in Las Terrenas the next day? How much would that cost?

Do you need a drivers license to rent a car/drive a car in DR?

Thanks guys :)

Gma

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
UUUUHHH, Yeah! Like where do you drive, like with no, like, you know, driver's license???? And no, you can't do that..not cost effective.

No bus to Las Terrenas. You get off at Sanchez and take another little bus to LT.

HB

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Bus and Car

...How much would it cost for a busticket from Puerto Plata Airport to Las Terrenas? (In november in the afternoon :) )
No CT buses on this route.

[/QUOTE]Can you rent a car at POP and deliver it in Las Terrenas the next day? How much would that cost?[/QUOTE]
Now, not that I know of.
Check out in November at the airport.

...Do you need a drivers license to rent a car/drive a car in DR?
Yes, YOU do, too.
Everybody does...

m'frog

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Hey!
How much would it cost for a bus ticket from Puerto Plata Airport to Las Terrenas? (In november in the afternoon)

Go from the airport to Sosua or Puerto Plata. Stay the night there. Get up early for the Papagayo Transport bus to Sanchez then a gua-gua or taxi to LT. Unless I've completely missed something since last Feb -- it still runs leaving PP about 6.30 or 7 in the a.m. and passing by Sosua (you have to go out onto the highway) about twenty minutes later. Costs about 200 RDP ($6 USD) takes about three and a half to four hours.

Two years ago people told me that there was a bus all the way to to Las Terrenas -- the same (Papagayo) bus company I believe. 'Don't know if that still runs

If you speak Spanish you can call Papagayo at: 809 - 970 - 2991
OR 809 - 749 - 6415

Last edited:

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Although you've posted this in the right place [Travel Directions] if you don't get any more up to date replies than mine in a day or two, you might get more informed responses if it were planted in North East Coast. The people who frequent that area and that branch (some of them live there) will be more current with the status of bus routes and times etcetera.

(Yes I know double-posting is discouraged, but that's where I got some very good info three years ago.)

Gma

Jul 9, 2007
Thanks for the help "Me_again"! :)

I'll check out what the people in the "North East Coast" section say ;)

Btw-have you been to the samana peninsula? can you recommend a place/town where I can stay? I've heard las galeras is beautiful...?

Gma

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
As m'frog says the whole peninsula is beautiful and worth a week or several. Although things are getting steadily more costly IMHO over the pastf our years you can still enjoy. LT is busy. LG is much quieter. As the frog says a search here and a gooogle of the Web generally will turn up lots of stuff.

Album: Dom Rep Feb 06

AND

Album: DR Trip Feb 07

. . . have slide shows of two of our visits to the Smana Peninsula. They'll include a start at Sosua and various other palces too but the labels should clue you in. Consider public transport to LT and then a rental car. The guy behind the Police Station next to a little colmado -- covenience store -- seems reliable and cheap enough.

Gma

Jul 9, 2007
Las Terrenas

Thanks guys :)

Think we're gonna go to Las Terrenas and take it from there. Probably rent a car and travel around.

You say that LT is busy...do you mean there's a lot of people in general or a lot of tourists?

Gma

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Quaintness Gone

... LT is busy...do you mean there's a lot of people in general or a lot of tourists?
LT no longer is the quaint little fishing village as it used to be and as still portrayed in some guides.
The main street is highly polluted by blue fumes from two stroke mopeds whose drivers are wreckless and defy any rule.
Even traffic jams are not seldom because 'gallos' in SUV's love to provoke the rest of the world by chatting from their vehicles and blocking both lanes.

Fortunately there are still quieter places and nice beaches in the vicinity (Punta Bonita, Cos?n, etc.), so one can get away from all the hassle, noise and pollution.

However, the former charme and quaintness are gone and will not come back.

m'frog

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
That's more or less how I'd have put it -- perhaps a little softer. Punta Bonita (an annex to LT, less than ten minutes by taxi or moto') is indeed much quieter.

Gma

Jul 9, 2007
Playa Bonita

Playa Bonita sounds like a much nicer place than LT. Don't want all the noise and pollution etc..

Any nice hotels in PB? I've heard the bahia las ballenas is a good hotel?

Gma