Popeyes chicken

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Wow. I'm surprised at that. The Provocon I go to in Haina gets a really big lunch crowd every day. Plus, they have a vitrina full of all kinds of other offerings as well. I've never gotten a bad meal there.
When I buy their chicken, they always give me a cup of Wasakaka that is great for dipping.
Like most food spots in the country, I think it's hit or miss.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are a couple of Popeyes near us in NJ, I’ve never tried it, the “spicy” stops me. That’s also why I don’t see it thriving in DR, they don’t even like black pepper. My mother-in-law hated anything “pica” (but boy was she a phenomenal cook).
Considering the amount of picante sauce they put on their plantain/ham I dont think Dominican mind spice. Picante Chivo is a favorite for many people. I made a big bowl of chili con carne for a school outing. There were a lot of people saying it was too spicy but they ate the whole bowl.

• Haha
Reactions: AlterEgo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Remember spicy (lots of spices) and hot (hot sauce) are two different things. When I buy pizza for my folks, they're not averse to a drop or two of Picante on their pizza.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I had the pleasure of meeting Mike back in 2018 when he helped
a good friend of purchase a small jeep south of the city. Rock solid guy.

Indeed...
The next day can be a little tough for some folks 😁
I love the hot sauce.. ate the 10 wings suicide came with red siren on plate waiter wearing gloves to deliver at Crazy Ranch...you eat it it's free..I couldn't screamed like baby for firetruck next day.. watched same time as I failed a Russian mafioso being egged on by his Amigos , he made it to 5 wings beat him by one..seriously don't know what sauce they use but was painful ... waiter insisted I wear black latex ..he didn't for Russian just winked at me passing me...

Reactions: JD Jones

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I am so excited that this cultural mecca is coming here. A gourmet bliss would be an adjacent KFC and a Burger King.
Dont sleep in Taco Bell , and a Dunkin donuts would complete the food Court for the Fat bodies who cant miss a single meal

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey and Big

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Remember folks, it's OK to eat some fried chicken, a burger or a lovely apple danish from Dicks Bakery. No one is going to become obese eating some pizza now and then if you exercise and have a balanced diet.

Reactions: Lucifer

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
They had a store here many years ago on the corner facing Silver Sun Gallery where Wendy's is now.

As a matter of fact, they built that location.

The donuts at first were great. Excellent quality control. Then, they started leaving donuts that didn't sell from one day to the next, and it wasn't unusual to get a hard stale donut.

I don't know who was the franchise holder, but I'm guessing they still have it, much like the guy who had the Denny's franchise.

I would have loved to own a Denny's clone here, but it's just not financially viable.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Then, they started leaving donuts that didn't sell from one day to the next, and it wasn't unusual to get a hard stale donut.
This is my issue with Belgium bakery in Cab. The make excellent pastries but I was continually getting cold, hard ones. You can never mention it to them, however. Aside from that my favorite is the passing off of day to 2-day old bread as today's. Here at García and Rebecca I tell my moto guy never to ask the staff if the bread is from today. Either they have no idea because they've been eating smelly hard colmado bread their whole lives or they're told to lie. A fresh loaf say a baguette, should not be grainy inside. Also, soft outside doesn't translate to fresh (which also baffles Dominicans). In Galeras, there was a guy who made the pan de agua. It was only good if you got there at 5pm sharp when it came out of the oven. Everytime I didn't go myself I get reheated bread passed off as today's .
Dicks in Cab has the freshest. I've never not had a wonderful fresh roll from them. Simple, high quality fresh bread.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
This is my issue with Belgium bakery in Cab. The make excellent pastries but I was continually getting cold, hard ones. You can never mention it to them, however. Aside from that my favorite is the passing off of day to 2-day old bread as today's. Here at García and Rebecca I tell my moto guy never to ask the staff if the bread is from today. Either they have no idea because they've been eating smelly hard colmado bread their whole lives or they're told to lie. A fresh loaf say a baguette, should not be grainy inside. Also, soft outside doesn't translate to fresh (which also baffles Dominicans). In Galeras, there was a guy who made the pan de agua. It was only good if you got there at 5pm sharp when it came out of the oven. Everytime I didn't go myself I get reheated bread passed off as today's .
Dicks in Cab has the freshest. I've never not had a wonderful fresh roll from them. Simple, high quality fresh bread.

In Puerto Rico, there are small bakeries almost everywhere that churn out fresh bread every day. they make the 1 lb and 1/2 lb loaves and they usually sell out before 11am. Nothing like pulling hot bread out of the center and dipping it in coffee.

Too bad we don't have them here.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I don't think you'll see one anytime soon. All of the locations that sell donuts here are supplied by the main store on Churchill which probably is being underused.
Doesn't make sense to drive donuts all the way up to the North Coast every day.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I don't think you'll see one anytime soon. All of the locations that sell donuts here are supplied by the main store on Churchill which probably is being underused.
Doesn't make sense to drive donuts all the way up to the North Coast every day.
They ran a Krispy Kreme food truck at the corner of Av. Juan Pablo Duarte y Av Salvador Estrella Sadhalá
in the Burger King (Santiago) parking lot during the summer of 2021. The lines were ridiculous.

Think testing the market and the donuts definitely passed. There is a massive new hotel complex/ shopping mall
opening across the street. I'm anticipating a new Krispy Kreme location inside this new development when it opens.
Time will tell.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
They ran a Krispy Kreme food truck at the corner of Av. Juan Pablo Duarte y Av Salvador Estrella Sadhalá
in the Burger King (Santiago) parking lot during the summer of 2021. The lines were ridiculous.

Think testing the market and the donuts definitely passed. There is a massive new hotel complex/ shopping mall
opening across the street. I'm anticipating a new Krispy Kreme location inside this new development when it opens.
Time will tell.

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised either. And once the new highway is built they could probably get a truckload up north before they cool off.

But....... Who's going to buy a truck load of donuts every day.

I think they're missing the boat by not having a small stand with the tried and true varieties in supermarkets